It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama tells military: prepare for North Korea aggression

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
and this is what i wonder, North Korea is claimed to have at least 5

Nuclear Weapons in it's possession, and they've attacked and destroyed a

South Korean War Ship... So... uh... hmm... Whats next? If they actually

fear any sort of retaliation, where does this scenario lead to? Nothing will

probably come of this because i'm really sure North Korea did not expect

the torpedo to be found out, just speculation about what could have

happened...

The fact that they denied any wrong doing really makes it clear that they

did not expect to be found out. They had no response or plan of action.

They just said Hey! WE didn't do it! Then silence... Kind of like when you

walk into a room and everyone gets really quiet because they were just

talking about you...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   

And would China approve of this war, if US economic boost = global boost?

IMO China wants status quo on the Korean peninsula. They don't want war.

If the US-South is about to invade the North, not just bomb them, China will go to the UN and try to stop the military action. If that doesn't work or they don't have time, they'll rush in from the North and overthrow Kim Jong Il and put another puppet.

IMO that's the most likely scenario that will happen if war breaks out.

China don't want a United Korea nor NATO on their border. China would rather win over the US in an economic war, but time is running out.

It's either China controls the North or the whole peninsula, nothing else.

How do you figure North Korea cannot nuke South Korea? They have the technology, albeit it it's infancy. They can create the bomb, and are in close proximity to South Korea. So it is POSSIBLE for them to do so.

Thing is they CANNOT, unless they received helped from outside (Pakistan or China), put their nuke on a missile. What MAYBE they can do is put it on a plane and drop it. Will it make it there? Maybe. Will it work when it reach the detonation altitude? Maybe.

That's a lot of maybe. What they can do, is dig under the DMZ and plant it there and blow it up. What they can also do is smuggle it in the South...

But the thing about the North nuking the South is... that it goes against their ideology. They want the reunification with the South. They don't really hate the South. Just the Southern government, the US, Japan and the ``collaborators.`` They are idealistic.

IMO and according to many military analysts, Kim wouldn't use the nuke unless he was invaded.

Also China ain't stupid. They have been changing their economy in the last few months so they don't need the US no more. That means that when they decide that they need to drop the US dollar so they stop the US military machine, they'll be able to do it without much hurt to their economy. Yeah they'll lose a few hundred billion dollars in reserve currency... but eh, what's the price of destroying your enemy?

Well I'm going to sleep now.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

You do realise that this type of thought is the reason why the world is such a messed up place. No surprise you are from the states.

Are you one of the bible belt, evangelical, warping the word of the bible to suit ones own extremist politcal agenda, Christian Talibans?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Final Solstice

I recall reading a legitimate news report about how a Chinese submarine got within torpedo range of one of the US carriers and remained there for some time before behind discovered and chased away.

You assume that with the recent influx of wealth that China has received that they have not *modernized* their military to be capable of standing toe-to-toe with ours, let alone being the big dog?

I further argue that according to a briefing a while back, China had hacked into Air force and Pentagon computers, and walked away with a treasure trove of information, not limited to, but including detailed specifications of our F-22 Raptor?

Really if you look at the information available around the internet (Wikileaks, I'm thinking of you), and various other sources, China's military is damn near as technologically sophisticated as ours, and bigger?

Food for thought.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Assuming this is true and WAR is imminent, what visible signs or events would one expect to occur in the next few weeks?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
The original information concerning the torpedo appears to have come from this web site.

www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
North Korea will not nuke the South. nothing will be gained from it, aside from turning the entire world, including their allies, against them. Also, do you think China is going to allow them to start popping off nukes that close to their own border? Fallout travels with the wind. I mean aside from growing turnips the size of volkswagons that could feed their people, its nothing more than an empty threat.

As far as China goes, there is a reason they have had a massive cash unbalance for trade.. Most of that money is going towards modernizing their military, albeit all branches except their navy, which is classified as a Brown water fleet instead of Blue.

As far as them rushing across the border to assist the North.. I highly doubt it, aside maybe from placing their troops into a position to stop the flood of people trying to leave the country and enter China. Whats not widely reported is the level of internal dissent in China right now. They have had a lot of angry villagers protesting in the inner portions of their country.

Also, North Korea (according to updated intelligence) is not looking to conquer the entire south. There new game is to take Soul, then sue for peace. Deliver a supposed knock out blow to their political leadership.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
reply to post by BlackOps719

Assuming this is true and WAR is imminent, what visible signs or events would one expect to occur in the next few weeks?

It will be a million North Koreans, along with their special forces units that were recently deployed along the DMV, grabbing their car keys, sandals, and their officers pointing South.

The question is, will they be going through the DMV, or will they be going under it to avoid a direct fight, instead opting to attack from the front and back.

Many many tunnels have been foundrunning under the DMZ from North Korea. Surely there are ones we have missed.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

It depends on how they try to spin it. Who knows what could come in the next few days, anything from UN hearings to sanctions to Obama sending troops to the Korean peninsula.

Im guessing this is the reason Hillary Clinton has been in China doing so much brown nosing this week. I hope the whole thing settles down and goes away, but blowing up a ship and killing 40+ sailors is a pretty serious act of aggression.

I do find it humorous that N Korea blows up a major South Korean Naval vessel and Obama asks for "an apology". Gee whiz....sorry we blew up your ship and stuff.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Also, North Korea (according to updated intelligence) is not looking to conquer the entire south. There new game is to take Soul, then sue for peace. Deliver a supposed knock out blow to their political leadership.

And taking Soul would never be acceptable; therefore US/UN intervention. And thus directly assaulting N. Korea would be needed. China wouldn't allow this and therefore, we're back at the WW-III end game scenario.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
The last thing they ever saw:

www.youtube.com...

wow

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I agree that nuking the South even if it were possible for them to do would not be beneficial for the North, then again you have to wonder how much an ailing leader really cares about in the first place? If Kim is growing closer to his death bed as many reports have hinted towards, then he may want to go out with a bang.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
With the amount of wealth that China has accumulated over the years, thanks to the booming economy, it is unlikely that China would not have used a significant amount of that wealth to "modernize" its armed forces. So, in the eventuality of a conflict with the U.S, both sides would be potent enough to deal significant damage to the other.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Theorist

Originally posted by Xcathdra

And taking Soul would never be acceptable; therefore US/UN intervention. And thus directly assaulting N. Korea would be needed. China wouldn't allow this and therefore, we're back at the WW-III end game scenario.

I really do think people are placing way too much stock into a Chinese intervention. Look at it from their point of view. Their errant spoiled brat to their south is pissing the adults off. You can only correct them so many times before China lets them learn a lesson. China gets nothing from N. korea except a buffer zone from the South. China has American Allied countries on their border, so the argument of them not wanting a country that close with that level of American ties is incorrect at best.

Chinas largest consumer is the United States, then Europe. If they were to intervene, they would be closing off those markets that were allowing them to build their military. Couple that with the massive amount of people that would be out of work intheir country, and now you have Governemtn instability their, that could potentially bring down their government. Hardly a scenario their leaderhip would allow.

There is no more East-West Cold war anymore. Its becomes more complicated since world economies are so intertwined. Alos, China holds over a trillion dollars of US debt. It would be easier for us to say rip up the slips cause you aint seeing that money anymore.

As far as the comments go about us bullying people and wanting yet another war please learn history. There never was and end to the Korean war. It ended in a truce-cease fire, and all U.N. passed mandates pertaining are still in effect. We are still technically at war over there.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by The Theorist

I would not underestimate the chinese.

www.youtube.com...

The drums of war are sounding. Fast forward to 3:20 and turn up the volume.

Scary..

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
In an effort to strengthen the argument that China has been modernizing it's military, I present the following evidence:

Washington — China’s military modernization program has made considerable progress in building and fielding credible and capable military power with regional and strategic implications, a new Pentagon report says.

The Source

Section 1202, “Annual Report on Military Power of the People’s Republic of China,” of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2000, Public Law 106-65, provides that the Secretary of Defense shall submit a report “on the current and future military strategy of the People’s Republic of China. The report shall address the current and probable future course of military-technological development on the People’s Liberation Army and the tenets and probable development of Chinese grand strategy, security strategy, and military strategy, and of the military organizations and operational concepts, through the next 20 years.”

2007 Pentagon Report on China's Military Power (2yr old aged report in .PDF format)

Did I do this right for posting here at ATS?

reply to post by Xcathdra

And yet China is aware of this weakness and have been taking steps to reduce it. If the US/China went to war, yes it would devastate both sides. But as another poster in this thread asked, what is a few hundred billion dollars in losses compared to beating your enemy?

That being said, you raise valid arguments that cannot be easily dismissed. I agree with you and yet, by human nature, people are crazy. Especially those in power.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by The Theorist]

[edit on 24-5-2010 by The Theorist]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
No he better warn the military about the patriots of america because WE WILL stand up, they all better trust that...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
In case of a brutal conflict on the Korean peninsula between South Korea, North Korea and U.S (With China providing covert or indirect support to the North), one thing is quite certain: Seoul would be destroyed by the North Korean artillery barrage. Also, rest of South Korea would probably suffer a lot of damage. As a result, South Korea,one of the major players in the Asian and global economic markets,would suffer a severe economic setback.Also, U.S armed forces would be involved in the conflict, thereby putting more strain on an already struggling economy. Even if U.S and South Korea emerge victorious out of this conflict, an unified Korea would have to bear the brunt of post war economic setbacks and North Korean refugees. It would be years before an unified Korea emerges as a major economic force to challenge and to compete Chinese economy. However, since China would not be directly involved in the conflict, it is probable that China might emerge unscathed from this situation by using the huge cash reserves and domestic market at its disposal.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I hope more than anything we don't go to war but I am glad obama is acknowledging they could be a threat. I mean come on, NK's bag of rice donation to a 3rd world country ended up being an arms smuggling front. This is a country whose leaders publicly make it known that they are cocky as hell and completely insane. I'm over it!

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by piddles

Don't you get that this is a show? for the people who don't already will probably die thinking about the last movie they watched...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join