It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North America's First UFO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Was watching the History Channel last night and saw something that I had never heard of before. The Muddy River UFO. Here is a review of what I learned and anyone else is free to chime in. Honestly I got really excited of this news, and would love to hear some skeptic's thoughts on this sighting. So, without further Ado, lets recap.

John Winthrop (1588-1649) was the first elected governor of MA Bay Colony.

Knowing the importance of documented history he wrote "The History of New England from 1630 to 1649." In this he set to record everything he saw of any significance.

In the 1638 chronicles he wrote the following.

"In this year one James Everell, a sober, discreet man, and two others, saw a great light in the night at Muddy River. When it stood still, it flamed up, and was about three yards square; when it ran, it was contracted into the figure of a swine: it ran as swift as an arrow towards Charlton, and so up and down about two or three hours. They were come down in their lighter about a mile, and, when it was over, they found themselves carried quite back against the tide to the place they came from. Divers[e] other credible persons saw the same light, after, about the same place."

Later on he noted that James Everell (a leatherworker) said "The figure seemed to turn into a swine."

A summary on what we know based on the testimony.

This was 150 years before the first balloon flight, so it wasn't man made.

It continually traveled up and down for two to three hours, so it wasn't a meteor.

Swamp gas could be likely, except it hovers in one place and tends to not travel up and down.

The man (James Everell) who testified became a well respected person in the community following the events.

There is more on this, but this was a summary, and Winthrop didn't write anything more on it.

source www.ufovillage.com...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I saw this on the new ancient aliens series, apparently they were floating downstream when they stopped rowing to take a look and after a long look for a couple of hours they found themselves back upstream where they started from.

I think the native americans would disagree about it being the "first" in northern america.

Thaks for the extended info, its an interesting case.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Personally I don't believe it was the first sighting in North America, but as far as well documented evidence goes, I haven't seen anything before it. Thx for the reply.

join