It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive hurricane + oil disasaster = ??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Suppose a Katrina-sized hurricane developed in the gulf, picking up the oil-infested water and delivering it landward.

Does anyone have any idea what the implications of this would be? Would we see a flaming pinwheel of total devistaton? Burning rain? "No big deal" ?

My apologies if this has already been discussed in one of the numerous threads on the oil fiasco.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I mentioned this in a couple of threads but didn't start a topic about it.

I think it would be very bad. Black rain.

The oil is getting mixed around now by winds and waves. I think a hurricane would cause the oil spread farther and mix into other untouched places better than wind and wave alone.

I think over land, it would deposit a lot of crap.. like an oily film on everything - aside from the wind and rain damage of the hurricane.

yep.. it would make matters much worse.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
An oil slick on the surface will greatly
reduce the winds grip and make
smaller waves, so the storm
surge will be lessened.
As to raining oil it
would have to
evaporate
first.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by davidgrouchy
An oil slick on the surface will greatly
reduce the winds grip and make
smaller waves, so the storm
surge will be lessened.
As to raining oil it
would have to
evaporate
first.

With a hurricane it wouldn't need to evaporate for it to "rain" oil. Sure its not the normal process but it would be coming down like rain anyway.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

Hurricanes are fueled by heat from the sun. I would question whether the gulf would heat up more with the dark oil on top creating conditions for a real super storm.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
If any hurricane enters the Gulf, it will rain oil all along the path of the storm inland. Then the storm surge behind the storm will pull more oil/water/dispersants into land.

The result? Many areas of the Deep South will be uninhabitable for years, I'm afraid.

Picture Katrina or Ike bringing crude oil inland...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CUin2013?
Hurricanes are fueled by heat from the sun. I would question whether the gulf would heat up more with the dark oil on top creating conditions for a real super storm.

Well the darker it is, the more sunlight it will absorb, the more it will heat up.

This is why a lot of people who make solar water distillers use black silicon to heat up the water better.

If hurricanes are fueled by heat from the sun, they are going to be bigger.

[edit on 24/5/10 by NuclearPaul]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Hurricane+ Oilspill= poisoned water supply

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Maybe.

But if it all floats and doesn't mix with the water too well, you might still be able to access the water underneath the oil.

An old school trick here for controlling mosquitos is to pour some kerosine into your rainwater tank. Floats well, so it won't come out unless you run the tank dry. Just don't check how much is in there while smoking...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Hurricanes are not fueled by the sun, they are fueled by water vapor...some experts have even suggested that a hurricane may help by breaking up the oil so it can be evaporated

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
wasn't the chemical dispersant used VERY dangerous in case of a huricane? the way I understood it, is the greatest threat would come from that dispersant used. it would in theory be able to create a toxic aerosol or something like that...

www.whatdoesitmean.com... this pretty much sums up the risks. I know sorcha faal doesn't have alot of good credits but the sources speak for themselves...

[edit on 24-5-2010 by faceoff85]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I lived in west texas for awhile, many times when it rained, there would be a little oil mixed in with the rain...
which we would find on our cars and such....

so, well, if a hurricane came up, I imagine that there would be some oil in those rain clouds also? who knows, maybe it would rain oil all along it's path, don't know...

I think the oily storm surge would be a greater threat though.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goradd
Hurricanes are not fueled by the sun, they are fueled by water vapor...some experts have even suggested that a hurricane may help by breaking up the oil so it can be evaporated

Where do you think the water vapor comes from?

The warmer the water, the bigger the hurricane.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CUin2013?

but having oil covering the water in large quantities is not allowing for evaporation...so no the hurricanes won't be worse.....

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

reply to post by CUin2013?

but having oil covering the water in large quantities is not allowing for evaporation...so no the hurricanes won't be worse.....

The warmer waters fuel faster winds...

That will make larger hurricanes as they will speed up. The warmer the ociean, the faster the windspeed.

If the ocean is darker because of the oil, it will make the winds faster and we all now that fast moving hurricanes are more destructive.

~Keeper

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

everyone is acting like oil spill has engulfed the entire gulf and it hasen't....i know my share about hurricanes....it's always exciting when season comes in cuz i live on the gulf coast.....NO the hurricanes won't be stronger and the oil will have little effect on them

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

everyone is acting like oil spill has engulfed the entire gulf and it hasen't....i know my share about hurricanes....it's always exciting when season comes in cuz i live on the gulf coast.....NO the hurricanes won't be stronger and the oil will have little effect on them

How can you say that oil covered section of the ocean, which is what at least 50 miles by 50 miles by now, would not affect a hurricane if it came roaring through there?

We've seen hurricanes increase in strenght from just passing along the Coast and into the Gulf overnight. IF that can affect a hurricane, this surely will.

If you can provide a stat that says that warmer water does not make hurricanes stronger, I will retract everything I said.

~Keeper

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

How can you say that oil covered section of the ocean, which is what at least 50 miles by 50 miles by now, would not affect a hurricane if it came roaring through there?

We've seen hurricanes increase in strenght from just passing along the Coast and into the Gulf overnight. IF that can affect a hurricane, this surely will.

If you can provide a stat that says that warmer water does not make hurricanes stronger, I will retract everything I said.

~Keeper

Everyone needs to understand that this HAS happened before!!!!

in 1979 one of the LARGEST oil spills happend in the Gulf of Mexico during Hurricane season and yes there were 4 storms that went through the oiled waters of the GOM and reached land and there was NO catastrophe because they had little to no effect on eachother

There was no "oil rain" or anything of the sort...My whole point is that the oil is not going to have any affect on the Hurricanes and it won't have an effect on the land it makes landfall on...This HAS happened before!!!! so there are my stats Experience

Oh and those hurricanes were not very strong either...so there you have it...people need to be calm

[edit on 29-5-2010 by Goradd]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Read it and weep

Tropical Storm Agatha

first storm of the season is off the coast
of Guatemala. It could have everlasting effects
on the US if it strengthens and moves into
the gulf

www.foxnews.com...

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Goradd

Allow me to enlighten you just a bit. There are 642,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of water in the gulf of mexico basin. The total area of the gulf is 600,000 square miles. To date we have 37 days since the oil leak. We have 210,000 barrels a day leaking (and thats just an estimate....and only due to live cames by BP, it could actually be much much more) now....one barrel is equal to 42 gallons. So in one day we have 210,000x42=8,820,000 gallons of crude spilling into the ocean. 1 gallon of crude contaminates 1 million gallons of water and leaves an oil slick that is 2 acres in diameter. so .... that means that we have 326,340,000 gallons of crude so far in the Gulf. Which means? we have the capacity of an oil slick at 652,680,000 acres(appx 1,019,812.5 square miles) and 326,340,000,000,000 gallons of water contaminated. And if the top kill does not work and they cannot stop the spill? believe me..if you think a hurricane will not effect anything? you are very very very wrong. And if you think the amount of oil will not effect weather patterns..when our entire ocean system is what makes the basis for our weather patterns then again..you are very very very very wrong.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by Nkinga]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join