It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After keeping us waiting for a century, Mark Twain will finally reveal all

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

After keeping us waiting for a century, Mark Twain will finally reveal all

www.independent.co.uk

The great American writer left instructions not to publish his autobiography until 100 years after his death, which is now.

[Twain] left behind 5,000 unedited pages of memoirs when he died in 1910, together with handwritten notes saying that he did not want them to hit bookshops for at least a century.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Well, I find it interesting that he wrote so much with the express conditions that it not be published for 100 years.

The article goes on to note that the new material will be full of "cruel observations" about friends, acquaintances, and others, as well as political and religious material that he didn't want to publish in his lifetime. Although I doubt I'll slog through 5,000 pages of his last words, there will surely be interesting items within the secret memoirs of one of the sharper wits of the 19th century.

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/24/10 by silent thunder]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I got to admit a brilliant bit of hype by a brilliant author, I will be picking up a copy when it is published.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will definitely be looking for this in November. Should make for some very interesting reading.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
...I havent felt this excited about a book for so loooooong!!!

Call me a Drama Queen, tell me I'm over reacting, talk about how I'm an insufferable gusher and just downright embaressing - but I honestly wet myself when I heard about this...

excuse the crude...

Wag.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
very cool.

this will get me going back to the bookstore.

thanks for the heads-up.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Five percent think,five percent think they think,and the other ninety percent would rather die than think.-Mark Twain. I think that pretty well sums up things.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Can't wait!

Wonder what he'll have to say about his good friend Nikola Tesla.

This is exciting, you are right! lol
Havent been this ecited for a book in some years!

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Oh wow! He's one of my favorite authors -- more for his biting intelligence than his creativity, though that was great as well -- I would definitely buy this if published!

And 5000 pages of his is probably not 5000 book pages -- is that handwritten? single sided? 8.5x11? probably not -- that sounds very cool.

RC

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
That is pretty original and amps the appeal of the book. I wonder if what he wrote is really going to be that controversial, or even still relevant? If it is just an autobiography then he was obviously the 100 years was to wait till everyone he knew had deceased. I wonder if Twain’s life really was that wild and scandalous for him to devote the last ten years of his life to put it into words? It will definitely insure his legacy if that is what he was after.

new topics

top topics

join