It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S.Korea threaten retaliation against N.Korean ships

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Passive military defense will be ditched: Lee - joongangdaily.joins.com...

South Korea will no longer tolerate North Korea’s provocations and will change its military posture from passive defense to proactive deterrence, President Lee Myung-bak said today, detailing his country’s response to the communist regime’s attack on a patrol boat in March.

The words of President Lee Myung-bak:

“If our territorial waters, airspace or territory are militarily violated, we will immediately exercise our right of self-defense,” Lee said in an address to the nation, televised live Monday morning.

“From this moment, no North Korean ship will be allowed to make passage through any of the shipping lanes in the waters under our control, which has been allowed by the Inter-Korean Agreement on Maritime Transportation,” Lee said. “The sea routes meant for inter-Korean exchanges and cooperation must never again be used for armed provocations.”

“In close consultations with the nations concerned, the government will refer this matter to the UN Security Council, so that the international community can join us in holding the North accountable,” Lee said. “Many countries around the world have expressed their full support for our position.”

“Trade and exchanges between the Republic of Korea and North Korea will also be suspended,” Lee said.

“However, we will continue to provide assistance for infants and children,” he said. “Matters pertaining to the Kaesong Industrial Complex will be duly considered, taking its unique characteristics into consideration.”

The joint industrial site built in the North as a symbol of reconciliation is regarded as the last bastion of the inter-Korean ties. More than 100 South Korean companies employ about 40,000 North Koreans in Kaesong. Shutting the complex will likely anger South Korean businesses that use Kaesong as an Asian exports base.

It's not surprising that US army reserves are being called up.

[edit on 23-5-2010 by john124]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
All we need now is a response from North Korea.... Wonder what it will be, word's or rhetoric, or the whistle of artillery shell's....

Time will tell, gonna be an interesting 48 hrs for sure....

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by freetree64
All we need now is a response from North Korea.... Wonder what it will be, word's or rhetoric, or the whistle of artillery shell's....

Time will tell, gonna be an interesting 48 hrs for sure....

I fear this will push N.Korea's paranoid state into overdrive over the next day or so, especially with UN meetings today, and could lead to full-scale invasion of the South without any warning. Or they'll eventually provoke a response from the south by firing artillery or another skirmish at sea whether accidental or not.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

My sentiments as well, this just went from finger outside trigger guard, sights on target, to finger inside trigger guard..... All it takes now is a stumble or trip and weapon goes off.....

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I am hoping that this is just posturing and a bluff, cause if this turns into a shooting war, then it will drag the US into it and we will be on a three front war. Now, according to military tactics and the history of warfare, a country that fights on three fronts looses real quick. The other aspect of this, is that if it does start to be a shooting war, I would not be surprise if there is a renewed offensive on other fronts with renewed agression and other countries getting involved. So the next 48 hours will determine what will happen and the responses of all countries involved. Something tells me that North Korea right now is consulting with China for back up, and seeing what its options are, as well as gearing up for a posture to show strength and to be precieved as a viable threat to the South Koreans and the US.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
If I remember correctly, North Korea said that if any sanctions or any sort of punishment were to be implemented against it...they would take it as an act of war and retaliate with military force.

I think the thread is here somewhere I'm just too lazy to look for it right now.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

You are correct, now will they stand up to their word, that will be the thing. Ball's in Kim's court now, and the world would give all the bailout money spent, to know where his head is at right now.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
My mother is stationed in Daegu right now. I'm praying for her every night! She's due home in July so all I can do is keep my fingers crossed. She made it through two trips in Iraq working as Supply Sergeant flying over Bagdad everyday. If she made it through that, hopefully she'll make it through this!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by newBodyoldSoul

Prayers to your mom from here as well, and all the servicemembers and civilians over there, whatever plays out, there will be a whole lot of prayers being said.....

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
South Korean President: North Korea Will 'Pay the Price' for Sinking Southern Ship

South Korea's President Lee Myung-bak says North Korea will pay the price for sinking a South Korean naval ship in March.

Mr. Lee told a nationwide television audience Monday that his government will appeal to the United Nations Security Council for sanctions against the North. He also said North Korean commercial ships will no longer be permitted to sail in South Korean waters, and that all trade and exchanges with the North will be frozen, except for a joint industrial park project.

The South Korean leader said his country will invoke its right to defend itself if Pyongyang wages aggression again. But he said Seoul is not looking for a military confrontation.

S Korea freezes trade with North over warship sinking

South Korea has suspended trade with the North and demanded an apology, after a report blamed Pyongyang for sinking a Southern warship.

President Lee Myung-bak said those who carried out the attack on the Cheonan, which killed 46 sailors, must be punished.

He also announced that Northern ships would be banned from Southern waters.

Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has urged China to co-operate with the US on North Korea.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Seoul shares down amid N.Korea tension;shipyards up

Seoul shares slipped to hit a fresh three-month low on Monday amid heightened tensions with North Korea, but firm gains in shipbuilders such as Hyundai Heavy (009540.KS) helped the market.

join