It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jamaica declares emergency in capital over violence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Jamaica declares emergency in capital over violence

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - Jamaica's government declared a state of emergency in parts of its capital Kingston Sunday after shooting and firebomb attacks on police stations by suspected supporters of an alleged drug lord who faces extradition to the United States
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

The emergency covered the West Kingston and St. Andrew districts of the capital where gunmen fired on two police stations and set fire to another. The attackers were suspected supporters of Christopher "Dudus" Coke who the government is seeking under a U.S. extradition request.

At least one policeman was injured. Streets into the Tivoli Gardens area of West Kingston, where Coke is believed to be hiding, were barricaded, witnesses said.

The U.S. Department of State has issued a travel alert warning its citizens of the possibility of violence in Jamaica's Kingston Metropolitan area. The Caribbean island is a popular tourism destination for U.S. and European visitors.

Like many had predicted that this would happen, it has begun. Fighting has broken out in the middle of the capital in response to the extradition of the famous Drug lord.

This is not going to be pretty, I believe US already has assets in place to take out the drug lord with their main goal of bringing him back alive.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

I am on business right here in the middle of Kingston. This has been going on for over a week now. and everything has been edgey but calm.

It started when the Government of Jamaica finally signed the extradition order, and the area where he was reputed to he hiding out reacted by barricading themselves in, blocking all road access point to the area of Tivoli gardens. There have been demonstrations and reports of sporadic attacks. But nothing major. I have seen and heard nothing major happening but the feeling in the town is a tense one.

Everyone really is waiting to see what happens. I don;t know about fighting hapving broken out in the middle of the city. I haven;t seen or heard a thing. if it true then maybe it is localised to the downtown area

[edit on 23/505/1010 by JakiusFogg]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Are you in downtown, as they have reported this activity to be targeting the police stations in the down town region.

I hope you stay safe my friend,

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Wow, too exciting...You got a cellphone camera, maybe send us some snaps (just boring street scenes, don't expose yourself to danger)...I mean, if you wanted to, I would think it interesting...

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Do not risk your safety over what would be covered eventually...you are in a foriegn country that despises US intervention at the moment. You do not want to be recognized as a US citizen to people you do not.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

The main areas affected are Downtown, Denham Town, Tivoli Gardens, and by extension Mountain view in East Kingston.. But it is not like this place is a BIG city. more a medium town so when one thing goes off the whole place is affected.

What we were told is that everything will be OK as long as the police stay out of the barricaded area. The point is no law abiding country can allow this situation to continue, and know they have been served the warrant for the arrest of this robin hood figure, they have to act.

So we are expecting issues, it just depends how bad it will be.

The main hotel zone here is in New Kingston. but it is not sooo far away from the hot zone.

Monday this week thjere was panic in the city as there was reports of gunmen roaming the streets. so the place pretty much evacuated. There have been one of events, police have been shot at, and know we have this.

But to be honest I have not seen it on a large scale unrest like in Bangkok!, It has just been tense.

We are just monitoring everything on a say to day basis

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Well m8 you have already experienced unrest before so I believe you to be keen to keeping your safety priority in a situation like this.

Wish you well.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Dont worry I have no intention of intentionally heading into any danger zone. this is ajob, and I dont get paid for that!!! heheheh

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Good m8,

If you are able to snap shots from your safe location, it would be nice to see them.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Well the good thing is I am a british citizen, and not so far from the embassy!

I have not heard anythign on the news here about US intervention.

The word was the reserves where called out.

OK but this is the interesting thing. On the way into the airport there other day (i work down at the airport) there was an US MILITARY c130 Hercules parked up on the fringe of the apron. This is NOT a regular visitor here, or I would have seen it before. So maybe there is something to that part of the story, and the Jamaica MSM are just not reporting it!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Hmmm, a C130. US had assets on the ground for a month with the permission of the Jamaican authorities planning contingency operation if the suspect did not give up readily. For some reason they want this guy bad. Maybe C130 is delivering some necessary supplies to carry out the operation or allow for escape of the US nationals present in Jamaica if things get hairy.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I don't know but it was odd timing!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Jamaica Observer

Jamaican PM to address the country live in TV tonight.

We will see what happens after that.

TV footage of groups of armed police patrolling the street. 2 police stations ransacked. Helicopter shot at. Police car stolen

1 person dead so far, other injured.

I am preparing to haul ass out of here.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Yea over the wires the news isn't looking good down there. Several more police stations firebombed.

Best of luck m8, make it home safe.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
This is crazy I just got back from Jamaica we stayed at Sandals in Ocho Rios. Kinda far but still.... Of all the places lol. Why would they want that one guy this bad yet do nothing about Mexico and all the drugs coming from there?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Well apparently this guy orchestrates so much and his net is soo wide. the US state department describe him as one of the most dangerous men in the world.

Still messy here. more than 30 people now dead. there has been black smoke rising over the cities since yesterday.

Interesting there was a press briefing this morning, where officials were asked about reports of US fighter Jets and Drones, seen over the city, These were denied

Word on the street is that this guy is gone from here.

Just for anyone else seeing this. Just be aware that this is FOR KINGSTON only. not the holiday resorts, and I am sure your holidays will be fine.

Personally I had to move out of the city closer to the airport and I am glad I did!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Well good to hear that you made it out to the airport.

Just heard on the wire about some more violence, 44 casualties.

Here are some updates:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/503a9c70feca.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/567bc15a48b7.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/627050eb15d1.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/28c65a17c41d.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c74167eda0db.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/31ea272e7b6b.jpg[/atsimg]

The above picture provokes many thoughts, who is in the right? Seems like the population in that area will die for the Drug Lord "Dudus".

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Or Washington could legalize drugs and be done with it...dude dudu's business would be out the window, drugs would be "safer", education instead of punishment could take hold and the U.S prison population along with crime would drop drastically...but those are good things.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

Legalize Heroin, coc aine, crack, meth?

Some users experience delusional & homicidal thoughts when on drugs, most don't even know what they were doing when under the influence. Add to that those who have a firearm, oh yes a perfect combo.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

top topics

join