It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran positive detained Americans spies

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I just live in a world where the CIA direct American Foreign Policy. To actually believe that these guys are not spies for me is totally absurd.

[edit on 23-5-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

... and you are so adamant about this because?

Are you CIA?

That must be it. Otherwise, you could not possibly be 100% certain.

*I know Kyrgyzstan is not on the border... it was an example of things going very wrong.

*The article IS another example that IS on the border. In fact, same route 6 months later.

[edit on 23-5-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
CIA? Yeah, right.

I'd hike that border just for the bragging rights to say I did it.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Yes i am CIA. I am trying to get someone to bite so we know where all you 'Anti-American's' live.

You do not to be a member of the CIA to work this one out. Are you aware of the history of the CIA? They are one of the biggest group of mass liars, manipulaters of the media, and murderers in the World.

Yes it was CIA approved.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
You do not to be a member of the CIA to work this one out. Are you aware of the history of the CIA? They are one of the biggest group of mass liars, manipulaters of the media, and murderers in the World.

Really? I think the KGB would give the CIA a run for their money in that trophy.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

I realize this won't change your mind - but just for fun, Google search "backpacking Kurdistan" or "adventure travel Kurdistan" and see what pops up...

Cheers

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

The thing about it, even if they were that stupid to go on vacation in Iraq, they would have a very tough time getting into the country. For instance, if you would have showed up at the airport outside of Baghdad, you would have most likely been turned away unless you had some official business in the country. Going on vacation is not a good enough excuse, at least back then though I suspect even now. So, something or someone had to have given them the clearance to get into the country. Who did and what was it for.

It is easy to get into Iraq through neighboring borders, so no need to go through Bagdad. Personally I think they are just extremely naive people out to make some personal point and have an adventure that they understand little of what they really got into.

Remember, there are many Americans under the impression that Iran is nice and America has them all wrong. Well they got a full dose of reality crossing into their country. They are friends and really do not have any skills to be spies, so unless they been undercover as friends for a very long time back here in the US they would have needed to be recruited as a whole, but I really see little that they could have done as spies since they would not blend in at all and got caught fast. There is no way they had the looks or ability to operate in that country.

[edit on 23-5-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

I realize this won't change your mind - but just for fun, Google search "backpacking Kurdistan" or "adventure travel Kurdistan" and see what pops up...

Cheers

Very good point since the Kurds started to actively push tourism back in 2006. The Kurds have been very stable for many years now and they want tourism to come back, and it has. That area reminds me of many parts in Europe...much different than the south.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
I didn't hear about a hunger strike, do you have a source for this? I personally can't understand why anyone would do a hunger strike because this only hurts yourself and calls for the "tube".

--airspoon

www.oregonlive.com...

Two of three American hikers jailed in Iran for nearly nine months are in poor health and told Swiss diplomats — their first outside visitors since October — that they were considering a hunger strike, their mothers said late Thursday.

They lost my support for even considering this.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
If these people were free toting hipsters then it would be likely that they would have had some form of communication with them. Afterall isn't it all the rage for the youth of today to "tweet" everything from bowel movements to foods consumed? If so then then they would most likely have had GPS as well since it is included in so many personal communication devices. I don't buy their story one bit, too many holes.

brill

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill
If these people were free toting hipsters then it would be likely that they would have had some form of communication with them. Afterall isn't it all the rage for the youth of today to "tweet" everything from bowel movements to foods consumed? If so then then they would most likely have had GPS as well since it is included in so many personal communication devices. I don't buy their story one bit, too many holes.

brill

I guess you assume incorrectly that cel phones work all over the place. They would need a satellite phone in that area, or maybe at best a simple phone with a sim card of the region. In many of those countries even in 5 star hotel the internet is expensive…30 bucks per day and much is blocked like skype etc. My IPhone become a simple local app device very quickly, and I even bought a local phone only to find out it worked in a very small area…wasted 100 bucks on that..hehe

They might of had a real GPS if local maps were available for it, but once again many places do not have good maps and they would just have lat long. Think rugged and very primitive…

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
Of course they were spies.

Do you honestly think that Iran would say, "Opps, sorry. My bad."

THey have already done on that on several occasions.....but you know - don't let reality get in the way of your stereotypes of government fueled propagandizing --...no !

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

I guess you assume incorrectly that cel phones work all over the place. They would need a satellite phone in that area, or maybe at best a simple phone with a sim card of the region. In many of those countries even in 5 star hotel the internet is expensive…30 bucks per day and much is blocked like skype etc. My IPhone become a simple local app device very quickly, and I even bought a local phone only to find out it worked in a very small area…wasted 100 bucks on that..hehe

They might of had a real GPS if local maps were available for it, but once again many places do not have good maps and they would just have lat long. Think rugged and very primitive…

Some assumptions certainly, I wasn't there. I'm aware of cell phone limitations but the fact stands that the youth of today is more "in touch" with the world digitally. Not saying it would work on the spot but still their story is weak at best. Thanks for your insight.

brill

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Why are people denial about these hikers possibly being intelligence assets for the Central Intelligence Agency or another agency? They would be fine candidates for such an endeavor, because they are unassuming. To any outward observer, they would appear to be happy go lucky college kids and wet behind the ears. Is that not the best cover possible? These agents have been known to assume multiple lives.

If they are agents, chances are their parents would never know about their partnership with an intelligence agency. Moreover, they would be given front jobs to conceal their involvement with an intelligence service as well. Many are claiming they are too young, and inexperienced to be a covert agent. Well, the CIA has been recruiting people on college campuses since its inception.

I truly believe there is more to these individuals than what is being said at the moment by their families and the US State Department? For example, one of the so called hikers is a free-lance journalist, and it is noted that the CIA uses journalists for espionage and clandestine activities. Shane Bauer is the journalist, and also fluent in Arabic as well.

Iranian Hikers Paying Price for US Spy Policies

This issue has been repeatedly raised in Washington, with little to show for it. In 1976, a Senate committee headed by Frank Church found that more than fifty American journalists had worked clandestinely as CIA agents during the Cold War. Their final report called on the CIA to declare that this would never happen again. During the Clinton administration, the Senate held hearings on the use of journalists as spies and an array of prominent journalists asked the CIA to confirm that it would never involve journalists in spying. The CIA refused to do so. In 1996, the head of the Committee to Protect Journalists said in a report that the CIA's stance "may have led some foreign leaders to believe that the CIA and leading US policy-makers are actively urging an end to official constraints on the use of journalist for espionage." In 2001 the Washington Post ran a story about a "high-level" defector from the Taliban who said that he had been visited two or three times by American intelligence agents posing as journalists . . .

With what is mentioned above, it is clear the CIA has not given up using journalists for covert operations, even after the Senate requested that CIA refrain from such activities, not once but twice. The demand was made in 1976, and again by the Committee to Protect Journalists during another Senate hearing in 1996. The CIA remains steadfast in using such means to gather intelligence. So, with what I have mentioned above, it is not a far cry to assume that these hikers may be working for an intelligence service?

Another interesting tidbit of the story, is a character known as Shon Meckfessel, and a member of the alleged hiking party. He was not with the group at the time of their arrest and detention. Meckfessel remained at their hotel, because he was sick, or so he says? So, who is this guy? Could he be the one coordinating the mission, and if something went astray, he could inform his superiors? We don't know if the hikers had any high tech communication or surveillance equipment when they were arrested? Here is a little about Meckfessel.

Companion of 3 Americans held in Iran from Seattle

Originally from Sacramento, he is currently working as an English as a Second Language instructor in Seattle, according to his author biography. Friends said he's also pursuing a Ph.D at the University of Washington in Language and Rhetoric.

Friend Nour Chida, who met Meckfessel at UW, described him as a Palestinian sympathizer.

"He had this way of talking. Very gentle and quiet in a nice way to explain things because I am more passionate and aggressive when it comes to Palestine. But he was very good," she said.

This character seems very suspicious to me? I am not going to go off on a wild tangent with some outlandish speculations. However, he may be more than what we are being led to believe? We must remember an intelligence agent can wear many faces, and assume an identity to suit a particular mission.

Perhaps, these hikers are just morons, and were not paying attention to their surroundings, as been speculated? In the hikers case, note to self, stay out of countries at war, and away from a country's border who has a vile opinion of your own. Maybe, these individuals should have thought of that before seeking adventure? Still, this whole thing seems rather strange to me? They may be a group of educated fools with all the book smarts in the world, but no steet smarts. Or they may be as the Iranian's claim?

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Jakes51]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join