It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran positive detained Americans spies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Iran positive detained Americans spies

www.presstv.ir

Iranian Intelligence Minister Heydar Moslehi says Tehran is positive that the three US citizens arrested last July near the Iraq border are spies.

Sarah Emily Shourd, 31, Shane Michael Bauer and Joshua Felix Fattal, both 27, were arrested on Iranian soil after crossing the border from northern Iraq in July 2009.

"It is clear that the three Americans are spies," Moslehi told reporters on Sunday adding that "there have been no talks on a swap."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran to let mothers visit 3 US detainees: Mottaki

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Of course they were spies. Who in their right mind would go on a pleasure vacation in Iraq, with a US war going on? Furthermore, who would go hiking along the Iranian border and accidently cross over?

It is obvious that the west has an active campaign for regime change in Iran. Because of this, we can assume that the US is sending spies into Iran.

This particular scenario fits in perfectly with how both Israel and America would insert spies into the country. Based upon what happened with the riots last year, it is more than obvious that we do in fact have spies in Iran, stirring things up and they most likely came in through the American controlled border with Iran.

Of course these three "vacationers" were spies, however I wish them the best and a safe return. No matter how much I might not agree with their mission, I still support them as fellow country men and I wish them and their families, all the best.

--airspoon

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Ever since I heard they were considering a hunger strike, I stopped caring.

I hate hunger strikes and people that threaten to go on one.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I didn't hear about a hunger strike, do you have a source for this? I personally can't understand why anyone would do a hunger strike because this only hurts yourself and calls for the "tube".

--airspoon

[edit on 23-5-2010 by airspoon]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
They believe they are spies just like
they believe boobs cause
earthquakes.

Are breast reductions mandatory in that
country so that they are not considered
a threat to homeland security?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Of course they were spies.

Do you honestly think that Iran would say, "Opps, sorry. My bad."

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

The UK and USA are already known to be funding terrorist groups inside Iran, im sure they would prefer to overthrow the government by covert means rather than a costly war. As for whether these 'tourists' are spies or not, im not sure. It seems utterly ridiculous that people would go on holiday to Iraq and to top it all off walk along the Iranian border. I am inching towards them being spies but some people truly are stupid enough to do what they did.

[edit on 23-5-2010 by Solomons]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
They believe they are spies just like
they believe boobs cause
earthquakes.

You believe 3 American citizens would be hiking in a war torn country, on the border of an entity who is currently dealing with US aided insurrection.

Really?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Of course they are bloody spies! Seriously who go's treking over mountains in Iraq and Iran at this present moment?

The CIA AND MI6 are all over Iran, helping fund separtist movements such as the Kurds.

These guys got caught, unlucky, but that is the nature of the spy game.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

The thing about it, even if they were that stupid to go on vacation in Iraq, they would have a very tough time getting into the country. For instance, if you would have showed up at the airport outside of Baghdad, you would have most likely been turned away unless you had some official business in the country. Going on vacation is not a good enough excuse, at least back then though I suspect even now. So, something or someone had to have given them the clearance to get into the country. Who did and what was it for.

This isn't even mentioning the fact that at least one of those hikers had ties to the Mossad, Israel's intelligence agency. These "kids" were clearly spies, going into Iran to recruit Iranian dissidents.

--airspoon

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

It's entirely possible they were backpacking - dangerously close, to be sure - but nonetheless... They wouldn't be the first to go there on a trip, nor the last... It's too early do dismiss them as spies who got caught.

Outside online
This is not *their* story - but worth the read. *Their* story is discussed at length.

As we hiked into the Zagros Mountains, which rise to nearly 12,000 feet along the border between Iraq and Iran, the driver grew nervous. "We're going to have lunch in Tehran," he said with a tense laugh. He had reason for his gallows humor:

Six months earlier, three Americans—Shane Bauer, 27; his girlfriend, Sarah Shourd, 31; and Josh Fattal, 27, Bauer's former housemate from the University of California at Berkeley—had walked along this same trail, with disastrous results.

The hikers had—accidentally, it seems—strayed across the unmarked border into Iran, been seized by border guards, accused of being U.S. spies, and transported to the notorious Evin Prison, in Tehran, where they remained as this story went to press, in March.

[edit on 23-5-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

No it isn't.

They were given this story to memorise before they left. Standard.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
Of course they were spies.

Do you honestly think that Iran would say, "Opps, sorry. My bad."

Iranian state television said Wednesday that three Belgians who were detained for two months on charges of entering a restricted area have been released.

The TV report said that the three, who Iran had claimed had been gathering intelligence, were turned over on Tuesday to the Belgian ambassador in Tehran.

Read more: www.cbc.ca...

second line!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Right. So your mind is made up.

Mine isn't.

Remember the backpackers in Kyrgyzstan?

It happens...

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Yes it is.

Fairplay.

No I don't.

And not on the border of Iran-Iraq it doesn't.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
At the time of their capture, Iranians were practicing a media blackout of the post election turmoil in their country. Iran continues to believe that these three were going to infiltrate to cause social unrest, though they have not proven such a case.

No evidence of sabotaging equipment, or communication gear that spies would use was also presented other than a cell phone which one of the 3 captured used to make a frantic call about the situation they were in.

Again, Iran is going to use them as pawns to exert their will. As far as these wandering out there is just bad judgment.

[edit on 23-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Yes it does happen on the border. The story I linked above is another backpacking trip occurring 6 months after this incident. Do not discount that adventurers are not going there - war or no war - they are...

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Kyrgyzstan is not the Iranian/Iraqi border.

We are talking about the CIA here not some two bit outfit with no influence or capability. They make policy.

They have been responsible or involved in literally 10's of coup's and attempted coup's in the last 50 years. Iran, Chile, Hondourous, Cuba, Cambodia, Iraq, Gutemala, Argentina, Brazil, Vietnam, U.S.A.

This is just the latest attempt in Iran. There is no way American 'civilian' citizens would be able/ allowed to be anywhere near this area without CIA say so.

They are CIA.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
It's called Adventure Tourism, and people do it all the time, all over the world.

It's not so far-fetched that a group of bored late-20s early-30s yuppies decide to take the adventure of a lifetime, into a warzone and hiking along a hotly contested border region.

I don't think they were spies, I think their only crime was being naive.

I'm happy that they got to meet with their mothers - spies or not. Being held captive in a foreign land for a crime you may or may not have committed, a visit from mommy is a huge boost for their will to endure.

I wish them luck, and I hope their situation is resolved swiftly.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Well, glad you're not sitting on a jury anywhere.

Judge, Jury and Executioner, huh?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join