It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today in NYC ...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 302Found

Originally posted by The_Zomar
We don't hate illegal immigrants because they are Mexican. We don't like them because they are criminals. Any race can live together in harmony, as long as they aren't CRIMINALS.

That is the point, being an "illegal alien" makes them automatically criminals.

Well, if you come across the border without going thru legal channels and whatnot, what does that make you? How about a criminal??

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I have to agree, I see way too much hate on here. I can't count how many total idiots have literally just commented in these threads the same old "they took er jerbs!" type rhetoric. I can respect a well presented argument (to an extent), but how is "GET THESE MEXICANS OUT THIS IS AMERICA SPEAK ENGLISH MY FLAG MY WAY DIRTY BROWN PEOPLE"* anything more than hate speech? There's always 1, unless it's a longer thread, then there's at least 3 guys who post something of that nature and star anyone else, regardless of how bad their argument is, who somewhat agrees with them.

considering I'm the son of one of these "criminals", I take it much more personally.

*not an actual quote but essentially paraphrasing the post's content

off-topic: I live in LA, I went to NYC for the first time last year, absolutely one of the places in the world someone should see before they die. A big melting pot living. maintaining, and redesigning buildings that have been there since the 1900's! OH GOD AND THE FOOD, anyone who goes there, Mama Fuko's in the lower east side is incredible

[edit on 23-5-2010 by piddles]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by signal2noise

Originally posted by 302Found

Originally posted by The_Zomar
We don't hate illegal immigrants because they are Mexican. We don't like them because they are criminals. Any race can live together in harmony, as long as they aren't CRIMINALS.

That is the point, being an "illegal alien" makes them automatically criminals.

Well, if you come across the border without going thru legal channels and whatnot, what does that make you?

considering how tough it is, pretty talented, I'd say

[edit on 23-5-2010 by piddles]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
You know, it was nice to read this. Some times I get caught up in the moment while debating and forget to take a step back. You go me thinking about a lot of things....anyway it was nice to clear my head, thanks fellow human
this is just another reminder of how we all need each other.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Just a little immigrant joke in New York city to lighten the mood for once!

One day, an immigrant from Poland entered a New York City Police Precinct to report that his American wife was planning to kill him.

The police officer on duty was intrigued by this, and he asked, "How sure are you that she is gonna kill you? Did she threaten to kill you?"

"No," replied the nervous immigrant.

"Did you hear her tell someone else that she's gonna kill you?"
"No."

"Did someone tell you that your wife is gonna kill you?"
"No."

"Then why did you think she's gonna kill you?" asked the exasperated police officer.

"Because I found bottle on dresser and I think she gonna poison me!" He handed the police officer the suspect bottle.

The police officer took one look at the label on the bottle and started to laugh out loud.

The immigrant became indignant and said, "What so funny? Can't you see the label on bottle said 'Polish Remover'?"

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Oh gee ... someone spends a brief time in New York and everyone joins into a syrupy version of 'coffee coloured people'

LOL. The Usual Suspects must be getting really desperate if they're promoting this as panacea already

Anyway, the NWO agenda fell apart pretty swiftly the moment a bit of reality entered the thread

such as yes, whilst the visitor to a city blighted with 'multiculturalism' might pontificate about how 'nice' it is, seeing all these different groups in the one pot

--- it's a different kettle of fish when you spend more than a few days traipsing through that human zoo

-- and actually open your eyes

--- and see it for what it is

which is a collection of ghettos

each with clearly defined boundaries

boundaries which fall along nationalistic lines

THEN, the truth isn't quite like the OPs Pollyannya vision, is it ?

These supposedly 'multicultural' cities could be likened to the sections of an orange

with each nationality (despite that they're all SUPPOSED to be naturalised Americans or Australians or Brits or French, etc.) staking out a 'territory' --- and woe betide the fool who wanders into the wrong territory at the wrong time

Taxi drivers will provide you a brief map of the territories if you care to ask. They'll tell which are the 'black' or Asian (and the many sub-groups which comprise 'asian') or Greek or Lebanese or Cypriot or French or Italian or Jewish etc. areas

and they do NOT 'get along'

at all

So thanks for the supposedly 'feel good' thread

except like most else, it's largely fiction

because as most are aware

people stick to 'their own'

regardless of whomever's nation they've managed to get a foot-hold in

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
We don't have time to be racist here in NYC, it doesn't matter what race someone is when you're trying to get off the train, you just want them out of your way. I can honestly say, white people get on my nerves just as much as anyone else and I've seen just as many a-hole cops that're black, spanish, etc. Hell, almost all of parking enforcement is minority.

We also have no problem with gay people, I'll regularly see gay couples holding hands, kissing, doing the same things everyone else does.

Sure, this is NY and sooner or later someone is going to have a problem with you and what you're doing but there's no way to say what race or nationality that person will be.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Well, most NY'ers just want to be left alone so that kind of helps.

The dynamic is also very different here... illegal immigration is an issue but unlike California, we are not exactly on the border and the illegal immigrants aren't breaking the budgets just yet.

For the most people, those that are here in nyc legally or illegally stay out of trouble, work hard, and just want to make a better life for themselves which is the type of people we want around here. Our bane is the teenage mothers with five kids and a crack addiction living on welfare and milking public housing while working on kid # 6.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Manhattan in particular is a kind of Disneyland of endless wealth and privilage, where reality never intrudes the tree-lined balconies towering high above Central Park, and where Rolls Royces prowl leisurely down a Fifth Avenue carefully kept free of the unsightly homeless.

There is a valid point to the notion that Manhattan is suffering from this gentrification, I cannot argue this fact.

We always lived in the west Village and my own experience was the total opposite of what you describe. It truly was an extraordinarily diverse neighborhood when we were there.

I would walk down the street from my building in the evening and within a couple of blocks I would run into folks from all cultures and income ranges (from the milti-milionaires to regular working people), meat packers, transvestite and straight ladies of the night, studio artists, club/restaurant goers and workers, drug dealers, bankers, movie stars, gay/alternative couples of all kind because back in these days the NYC G&L community center was where the Gansevoort Hotel stands now. It really was quite amazing at the time.

We were in that neighborhood today and all of that is mostly gone ... the meat market is all but out, the artists can't afford their studios any more, the rents/condos' prices are even stupider than when I lived there ... so basically it's just a homogenized cleaned up tourist destination. It's pretty mind you ... but those changes are partly the reason we decided to move out of NYC.

Still, and even with the expansive and ever encroaching aforementioned gentrification, NYC is in fact a city that for the most part, regardless of neighborhood, folks of all cultures, "races," religions, sexuality, and ideologies manage to coexist in astounding harmony considering their proximity to each other.

It's not so much that I miss living there, it just dawned on me how so often our conversations here are based on abstractions ... the reality is that for the most part folks don't care where you're from, they make up their mind about you, and you about them simply based on their/your personal experience and interaction. As imho, it well should be.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
While the cultural and ethnic diversity of NYC is laudible, I see a darker side to the city when I visit in terms of distribution of wealth. The high rollers in Manhattan live live kings in a bubble totally isolated from the harsher conditions just across the river in the shadier parts of Brooklyn...to say nothing of the denizens of cities like Detroit or Cleveland. Manhattan in particular is a kind of Disneyland of endless wealth and privilage, where reality never intrudes the tree-lined balconies towering high above Central Park, and where Rolls Royces prowl leisurely down a Fifth Avenue carefully kept free of the unsightly homeless.

Well you arent exactly right about the whole "endless wealth and privilages" I do live right across the street from Central Park on the 8th floor with a balcony lol and we arent rich. Not every part of NY is like Fifth Ave, Thats just one area that is for the real wealthy and wall st, ..soho, tribaca and others all have the wealthy and not so wealthy living all around each other.. and not all parts of Brooklyn is harsher, its basically the same like manhattan where there's poor and rich areas and area's with middle-class,poor and those with enough money with homeless people around. There's a balance in the NY Tri-State...

I'm glad to be a New Yorker, Lived in Brooklyn surrounded by jewish, muslims

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ong Bak
you could not pay me enough to spend more than 5 minutes in nyc.
that place sucks. alot.
the last time i was there i was leaving school on long island, and 3 hours later still stuck in gridlocked traffic somwehre in nyc. jsut thinking aobut it makes me sick.
and the people there suck even worse than the traffic. i grew up in the sticks, mostly mass and NH, and its like night and day being in nyc. the people are rude and taht accepnt makes even teh prettiest woman seem like a total waste of time.
nyc is the worst place i have ever been.

LOL it isnt so bad but like i always said....... New York City - The Big City Of Assholes .. just gotta know how to deal with us NY assholes :-)

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
Threads like yours are what keep me from abandoning this site all together to the biggots and the zealots.

Hear hear! I feel the same way! I am so tempted everytime I see some thread filled with ignorance and hate to just give up on ATS all together, but it's the people like SDog whose threads I would read and be inspired by when I first came to ATS that keep me here.

I really feel that it's people like the OP who truly represent what ATS is all about, and I'll keep coming back for them!

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Jeesh...If there wasn't a black space where my soul should be, I would be touched by you OP!

Diversity is great on paper, however reality confirms Human being are not capable of coexisting peacefully in a multiracial/multicultural environment.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
Oh gee ... someone spends a brief time in New York and everyone joins into a syrupy version of 'coffee coloured people'

LOL. The Usual Suspects must be getting really desperate if they're promoting this as panacea already

Anyway, the NWO agenda fell apart pretty swiftly the moment a bit of reality entered the thread

such as yes, whilst the visitor to a city blighted with 'multiculturalism' might pontificate about how 'nice' it is, seeing all these different groups in the one pot

--- it's a different kettle of fish when you spend more than a few days traipsing through that human zoo

-- and actually open your eyes

--- and see it for what it is

which is a collection of ghettos

each with clearly defined boundaries

boundaries which fall along nationalistic lines

THEN, the truth isn't quite like the OPs Pollyannya vision, is it ?

These supposedly 'multicultural' cities could be likened to the sections of an orange

with each nationality (despite that they're all SUPPOSED to be naturalised Americans or Australians or Brits or French, etc.) staking out a 'territory' --- and woe betide the fool who wanders into the wrong territory at the wrong time

So thanks for the supposedly 'feel good' thread

except like most else, it's largely fiction

because as most are aware

people stick to 'their own'

regardless of whomever's nation they've managed to get a foot-hold in

Did you not read his post? He isn't a day tripper to NY. He has spent a large part of his life living there.

Manhattan was bought for a dollar by a migrant to the US.........who's nation is it?

Anyway, SD Im from a multicultural background, and I love that aspect of Australia also. The Greeks, Italians, Lebanese, Asians, Croatians, and so on, bring yummy food
and grrreeeat coffee! Not to mention turkish delight sweets...nom nom.

I dont fear when someone has a different social upbringing to mine, I like to learn and experience others, mine is not the "right" upbringing just because its mine, I don't get my sense of self by what nationality I am suppose to be. I don't need to fight to validate myself by saying my 'culture' is better than anyone else's.
There is lots to learn, and good friends to be made

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

S&F just for reminding us that there is still intelligent life on ATS.

But the majority lurking on those threads in my humble opinion do tend to be extremist ignorants unfortunately.

Anyways... NYC is one of the greatest cities in the world and it's certainly a special place. Of course it does have it's own problems but every place has them in one way or the other.

Nothing much to say, I simply love NY.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

I grew up in Hawaii Sdog, and I too love the interplay of cultures and the mixing, and sharing.

I think for many of us "immigration" is not the problem. It is "illegal immigration." Its not that we dislike having other cultures mixed and blended into America, its just that we want the individuals who come in from those cultures to respect the rules here, and not pick and choose what laws and regulations they should follow.

And for me personally, it is also that I recognize from having so many LEGAL immigrant friends how utterly unfair it is to immigrants from other countries that illegal immigrants from ONE country who happen to share a border just sneak in while those trying to immigrate legally wait patiently for long periods of time. It really irritates my sense of fairness that people from all over the world who would love a chance at living here are made to wait, or are even rejected, and yet we reward those who break the law and just help themselves.

Just my take on it. I know there are some who may be bigoted, but I think it is awfully unfair when everyone who is opposed to ILLEGAL immigrants are painted as racists, or bigots, or even as people opposed to immigration in general.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I've always loved NYC, even though I've never lived there. Currently I live in downtown Los Angeles, and the mix of ethnic groups in L.A. is one of the things I like the most. Yes, illegal immigration is a huge problem and the feds aren't doing enough about it, but most of the people here are legal. I always prefer to look at the positive aspect of something than the negative one. Not ignoring the negative, it's just that being more optimistic than pessimistic is good for me.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   

LEGAL immigration is a wonderful thing. Makes us a diverse and unique country.

Illegal immigration is a crime.

Simple as that. There is NO argument. It's a crime.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Gotta admit, I have only been to New Yawk once. Spent three days at La Guardia Airport changing a failed deicing boot on an aircraft. Never felt the compunction to go anywhere while there. Just spent the time in the airport.

The second most memorable part of the trip was a conversation I had with a native in the airport bar when I asked her to say 33rd and 3rd avenue. Oh the humor of the differing dialects or accents. Toity toid and toid avenue. I still loved the Bostonian accents. No pronunciation of r's, always aaughs.

Ask a Bostonian to say Worcestershire once. It come out woostah.

The most memorable part of the trip was flying out. We circled the Empire State building at about 5 stories from the top. Wish I would have had a camera.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Nice thread! I like it! It's all the biggots that infiltrated that have made me take a step back from ATS. Unfortunately, it looks like they even managed to infiltrate this thread. We can really get a sense of where the ATS community stands by threads like these too. It's ridiculous such a feel good thread like this has only 2 pages of responses, but a thread with Mexican and something criminal has like 50 pages within a few minutes.

Anyway, I've never visited NYC but it's been at the top of my "must see" for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately, when the cash is there, vacationing in Munich suddenly seem more enticing... but I will get there someday!

I've grown up in L.A. and this is one of the aspects of the city I love. We're not as congested here but we do have a variety of ethnic neighborhoods spread out around the city. Personally, I grew up in a predominantly hispanic and white neighborhood. Pretty much half n half. I grew up with nothing but Mexicans and white boys and we always got along like brothers and still do. I do have friends of many different cultures though and we all get along. Just this past weekend my buddy had a little get together at his pad and it was 3 mexicans 1 gay, 4 whites, 1 black guy, 1 armenian chick and 1 indian chick and I wouldn't have any other way.

These people on those threads are just ignorant. I know Asians whose family's have came here illegally and legally. I know hispanics (not just Mexicans) who have come here illegally and legally. I could go on forever but the one thing that you learn living in areas like these is that they are not all bad people. Yes, there are a couple of trouble makers who only come here to commit crime and freeload but the majority are here to work hard and just try and live the American dream (whatever is left of it). Oh yeah, and they're not all MEXICAN!

Gangbangers come in all forms and I could take you around this city and show you where they all are. Korean, Vietnamese, Mexican, Salvadoran, Black and white boys that can cause just as much damage. You can tell these bigots don't even know what they're talking about bc I can't even count how many times I've seen them refer to MS13 as Mexican.
MS13 is Salvadoran tards! They remind me of this:

I think it's obvious a lot of the bigots in here aren't fortunate to come from areas that are multicultural so they just spew nothing but racist, ridiculous, and completely inaccurate crud.

Edit to add video

[edit on 24-5-2010 by conspiracy88]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join