It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Invents the High-Level EMP Attenuation System That Responds Instantaneously. What Do You Think?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Excuse me for using exponential instead of linear. I was thinking about how the sine wave would "shift" with the change in input voltage.

Here's just a part of how I'm not using a step-down transformer in the box with the step-up outside the box.

Say you are running at 120 volts. The step-up trans that I have would boost that to around 12,000 volts. If I was using a step-down transformer then that would bring it back to 120 volts, correct?

But what if an EMP induced 200,000 volts?

The step-up trans that I have would boost it to around 20,000,000 volts, if it can even hold that, but then if I was using a step-down transformer in the box at the same multiplier, then it would bring it back down to 200,000 volts.

The current would also shoot up throughout the LEDs.

Your electrons would be fried. There is no real protecting attenuation if I was simply using a step-down transformer.

So what you want me to do is to keep the black transformer hooked up to my system. Show the voltage increasing anywhere from 0-240 volts from the black transformer and show an output from my system of the exact, or near, same amout?

Then increase the voltage of the black transformer past 240 volts and show that the output of my system is constant at 240 despite the black trans being at 2000 volts, 5000 volts, 8000 volts, and 12000 volts?

I really thank everyone for pointing out the bad parts I'll continue posting videos until everyone is satisfied.

Marc,

[edit on 28-6-2010 by macb6497]

[edit on 28-6-2010 by macb6497]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by macb6497
So what you want me to do is to keep the black transformer hooked up to my system. Show the voltage increasing anywhere from 0-240 volts from the black transformer and show an output from my system of the exact, or near, same amount?
Yes. When there's no overload/EMP we want the normal voltages to get to our devices, right? The current varistor technology has a tiny current, perhaps in microamps or less, that occurs at normal voltages up to say 240V. It's small enough to not be a big concern or cost but it's not exactly zero. Obviously zero losses would be even better, but the thing we want to avoid is spending an extra 10% on our energy bill on a large leakage current, larger than the current varistor technology.

Then increase the voltage of the black transformer past 240 volts and show that the output of my system is constant at 240 despite the black trans being at 2000 volts, 5000 volts, 8000 volts, and 12000 volts?
I would suggest the following. Make the black transformer input/output in 5 steps as follows:

1. 2.4V / 240V
2. 5.0V / 500V
3. 10V / 1000V
4. 30V / 3000V
5. 60V / 6000V

At each one of these settings, we want to know how much of that voltage is getting to the LEDs coming out of your white box.

The first number would of course be the variac setting if it was calibrated to not be one tick off. Or you could just set the variac accordingly knowing it's one tick off, if it's hard to calibrate the dial. So when you set for 60V you'd actually go 1 tick under 60V, since "zero" is one tick under zero.

Of course, you can do more steps if you want, but I think 5 steps is a minimum. If you want to go higher that's up to you but you've already demonstrated this voltage range is within the capabilities of your setup so that's why I suggested up to 6000V. I don't know the ratings of your components, etc.

While you do this, you could just alternate the video between the variac settings, and the voltmeter hooked up to the LEDs "output" from your white box, to show what output voltage you get at each variac setting. Unless you can figure out how to get the variac dial, and the voltmeter into the movie at the same time, that would be even better if we can see what the voltmeter does when you turn the variac.

I really thank everyone for pointing out the bad parts I'll continue posting videos until everyone is satisfied.
You're welcome.

You have to understand that when I shop for a surge protection device, I'm looking for performance characteristics based on current Varistor technology. If your technology has significantly different performance characteristics, that's ok, but you might need to explain what those are and how it might be better in some ways and worse in some ways then what we are used to with the Varistors. But as mentioned earlier, I wouldn't want a device with a large leakage current under normal operating conditions, and with Varistors I know it's only about a millionth of an amp or something like that. (That's a microamp). And I also know I don't want the output voltage to go over 1000V even when the inputs are much higher than 1000V. So those are two of the key performance characteristics I look for.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by macb6497

Well I'm not going to nitpick anymore, there really isn't a need for it.

The proof will be in the puddin' so to speak.

I wish you well with your invention and it sound to me like you have a very bright future. While other teens are devoting their attention to Lady Gaga and reality T.V., you are actually doing something useful.

I commend you for taking criticism so well too! The most successful people are also the most criticised.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by OZtracized

(Constructive) criticism is the key to success
Best of luck, macb6497

2nd line

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

reply to post by OZtracized

Thanks for the support.

I took the criticism so well because I didn't work hard for months just to quit because I didn't get the feedback I desired right away.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I just received some of the parts for the next build. I'm taking a little time to build that up for the next test.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I have just launched my site (ValeVarkaSystems.com). If you want to talk about this subject then email me or send a message through the site.

"EMP and Solar Flare Protection"
The purpose of the ValeVarkaSystems.com is to give the users and visitors an in-depth perception of what it is like to be an Electrical Engineering inventor. By providing up to the hour news, you can stay informed of major events and projects taking place. With the Live Feed you can get a glimpse of how things are done during the design and construction of new technologies. The Projects page is one connection that most users and visitors take part in when a better understanding of a particular system is needed. With the projects page you can look up past, present, and future projects that I will take on.

Regards,

Marc Brown Jr.

Electrical Engineering Inventor/ Programmer/ Designer

ValeVarkaSystems.com

[email protected]

My email address has changed to [email protected].

Please send this to anyone you feel may be interested

© 2010 Vale'-Varka Systems - Made By Marc Brown Jr.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join