It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Invents the High-Level EMP Attenuation System That Responds Instantaneously. What Do You Think?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Hello all technology lovers, I have a system that I'm currently working on. It is a high-level emp attenuation system that is faster, more redundant, and much cheaper that any other system.

There are EMP protection products already out there but they are limited to a certain frequency range, power rating, rise-time, and need extra components in order to stand up to the power of an EMP. "Why keep your old gas engine when you can get an electric one that is 5 times more powerful and cheaper.”

I'll list a few specifications here so that you can better understand the purpose of my system and how it is completely different from present configurations of other organizations:

What my system doesn't use that makes it cost effective, more redundant, and completely different:

No shunts, grounding, or EM filters needed.

No limit on the frequency range or power rating when the correct components are supplied.

No delay in the attenuation response; instantaneous.

No required connection type between “dirty” and “clean” connections.

No required voltage type needed for the same level of protection; DC and AC voltage is accepted.

No add-on components adding to the total cost; shunt capacitors, MOVs, resistors, secondary SASD arrays, feed-thru capacitors, or diodes of any kind are needed.

No add-on transient protector or lightning arrestor.

What my system has that makes it faster, more cost effective than current systems, and completely different:

Encourages the predefined power but blocks out transient voltages.

Effective EMP coverage.

Can be combined with ANY system that has an input.

Can compensate for any loses allowing for a gain in either voltage or current.

No limit on the place of installation as long as the elementary characteristics of the components are met.

Works in any operating condition that does not go above the elemental ratings of the components.

No components to burn out in regular operating conditions or during predefined over voltage conditions.

Costs, for some applications, do not go above $800.

Only adjustments in the metallic and dielectric components are needed to fit the application, therefore, lowering the cost.

Soon to be available to the general population under strict circumstances.

Because a ground is not needed, the risk of conducting a voltage from underground conductors is expelled.

Natural transient surge protectors and lightening arrestors are created during the construction of the system.

I have uploaded a video at: www.youtube.com...
to try and explain my system, and I'm working on another video that will go more in depth.

Many people have had a hard time believing this and I would like anyone who reads this post to tell me why you would or wouldn't believe it.

Just tell me what you think and I will try to give my best answer.

Thanks and stay tuned,

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Good luck on your project!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Thanks. It's a lot of work but I'm slowly moving forward.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by macb6497

So do you have any way to measure the surge suppression in Joules?

I have my computer hooked up to a UPS something like this:

www.cyberpowersystems.com... geI=#tab-box

and the specification shows:

Surge Suppression 2,060 Joules

I guess if a nuclear bomb went off I'd be more worried about getting vaporized or dying from the radiation than worrying about my home appliances getting fried, but I have no idea if the surge in my power line would be more or less than 2060 joules, or what the suppression capability of your unit would be in comparison to what I have.

That looks like fun, I haven't played with circuits on a breadboard in years!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Well, the UPS you showed me uses a circuit breaker.

A circuit breaker will not trip UNITL it "sees" a large current throughout the ciruit. That means the power from an EMP would have already entered the sensitive circuits before any protection could have been done.

I'm guessing that this can take around 100 milliseconds, which produces about 20,600 joules in a second, 20,600 watts.

The rating in joules for my system depends on the application it is in and the components used. The bigger power stations can produce 400MW hrs for the average homes that can use up to 7kW hrs.

So, based off the power station rating in basic operating conditions, my system has a joule rating of 25.2 MJ hrs for the regular home and 1440 GJ hrs for a power station on a regular operating day. That sounds about right.

But of course that rating is higher during an EMP. My system doesn't have a rise-time reaction delay.

I'm working on another video so you should have a better understanding then.

Thanks,

[edit on 23-5-2010 by macb6497]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
'Redundant' is an engineering term.
Thanks.

You learn something every day.

Good luck

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Hey, great! I see you are starting to relate.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by macb6497

Well, the UPS you showed me uses a circuit breaker.

The circuit breaker is for overload protection, which is different than surge suppression.

I figured the surge suppressor was MOV like the cheap $10 power strips I buy with built-in surge suppression, but maybe better since I paid hundreds of dollars for it.

Here's an article on the MOV (metal Oxide Varistor) that my power strips use.

How Surge Protectors Work

I have most of my electronic appliances plugged into these power strips, like my TV, stereo, etc. (I only use the UPS for my computer, and simple surge-protected power strips for other electronics). If the surge is too big for the MOV to handle, I guess the fuse acts as a backup, and it can fry instantly if the current is high enough. (Though if the voltage spike is too high, I suppose it could arc across the blown fuse gap even after the fuse blows?)

I'm working on another video so you should have a better understanding then.

Cool. I'll look forward to seeing it.

[edit on 23-5-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Ok, I didn't pick that up when I read through the description.

But, just like the breaker, the MOV's have a delay time that is still just too long to provide adequate EMP protection.

I'm sure you have heard of the E1 portion of an EMP that produces high frequency voltages and a quick rise-time pulse that is too fast for the MOVs of current systems. This is how the current companies may get you. They say they have a system that can protect from an EMP.

I have called some of them, polyphaser and transtector, to get more information and they can only go up to a few tens of kilovolts, at least 100kV - 110kV short of providing real protection. On top of that, you have to buy all of these extra components, the MOVs we are talking about, which the systems won't work without.

The reason your power strips protect from the current surges is because the frequency of the common house's mains line is at 50-60Hz. This is slow enough for the MOVs to catch before surges can do any real damage. The MOV article also states that most surge protectors cannot be used in lightning storms.

If it won't protect from a lightning storm then it won't do much against an EMP that could produce 200kV per squared meter.

Just how you said about the plasma streamer arching, it will most definitely do that during an EMP because every thing is so close. You would need a huge gap or good ceramics. Even still, the response of the circuit will be too slow.

The components in current systems will stop functioning correctly after a few EMP surges due to the high number of joules.

I can produce my system economically for manufacturing, it doesn't need other components in order to work, and it is not limited by a delay, the power, or the frequency of an EMP.

So, the video that I'm working on now will be very direct in what it talks about.

Just another note, would you have more confidence in my system if I used a variac to slowly increase the input voltage, and then at the same time show a voltmeter that displayed how the output voltage increases and then decreases despite the increasing input voltage?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Are you intending this simply as a mains' filter?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Please explain to me how a few cap's that look like they are rated for top 35wv and a bunch of small signal diodes that look like they are 1N914's and to boot no ground, where does all of the energy from the emp go, does it just disappear, and a spark gap jumping to the negative side of an electrolytic cap (which must be going to ground or the spark will not jump) are going to prevent an emp. please be technical about it, show the schmatic and a parts list. By the way mov's have there clamping times in nanoseconds. I don't want to sound like I'm picking on you, but I've been an electronics tech/engineer for 30 years and your circuit looks like it wouldn't stand up to 120v surge, let alone a side streamer of a lightning strike, that board would be toast, and yes I know what lightning strikes do to electronics.
So please post away

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Just another note, would you have more confidence in my system if I used a variac to slowly increase the input voltage, and then at the same time show a voltmeter that displayed how the output voltage increases and then decreases despite the increasing input voltage?

Excellent reply, I see what you're saying.

Well if your system can withstand the increased voltage without degrading, I'm sure that would be a convincing display with a variac.

That wouldn't work with a more conventional surge suppressor because the MOVs would be gradually destroyed in the process of gradually turning up the variac, showing a lower surge suppression capability than they are actually capable of, if it all hits the MOV at once instead of being slowly cranked up with a variac.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

No, this was built to withstand the high power levels of current power stations.

The first video shown is a test only running at 40kV.

I have another video that will explain in detail how my system stops the effects of an EMP.

In the earlier post I stated that in the second video I will use a variac to slowly increase the input voltage, and then at the same time show a voltmeter that will display how the output voltage increases and then decreases despite the increasing input voltage.

That is what the circuits are exposed to during an EMP, a low voltage and then a spiked high voltage.

The second video will show how the output voltage will increase until it reaches a threshold and then either stop increasing or will have an exponential power curve.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by drwolf

As we are not here to degrade one another's intellect but have our facts, I will state this, and other sources such as wikipedia do, "When subjected to a very fast,

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Maybe I worded my question incorrectly. Do you intend this to be something that one would install at their residence to protect devices within from EMP induced voltage spikes?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Great, thanks!

I believe something else that would convince more people would be to use a large discharging circuit. The variac will show how my system reacts to an over voltage and then the capacitive circuit will show people that it can respond to the high voltage, current, and the fast pulse.

I would charge a large DC capacitor circuit because this will best simulate an EMP due to the fast discharge time in relation to the circuit and because an EMP creates a DC current or short circuit. I'll first show the damage done without using my system by directly attaching a working device to the discharging circuit and showing how the capacitors completely destroy it. Then, I'll connect another working device to the output of my system and show how it doesn't get destroyed even when I discharge the capacitor bank into the circuit.

So, would that be something else to include in the second video?

Thanks,

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Yes, indirectly though. This is something they would order because it would be considered hazardous due to the level of power contained during operation. Kind of like ordering a new Internet service or better internal lighting. You wouldn't install it; someone would have to be sent out.

But, the components needing protection would need to be in a faraday cage or have very small wires because my system is a line suppressor, not a cage. I'll eventually expand to the production of cages as well.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

I couldn't watch youR videos before posting this but from the posts above it seems you are assuming that an emp only effects the power input side of a device.

How would your circuit prevent high field gradients directly destroying semiconductor junctions in the protected device, whether the device is connected to a power source or not?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

So, based off the power station rating in basic operating conditions, my system has a joule rating of 25.2 MJ.....

So, would that be something else to include in the second video?

Yes. Of course if you want to show how the system reacts to an EMP, the best way to demonstrate that is to simulate an EMP. Now how well you can do that with a capacitor circuit, I don't know. If you are going to rate your system with 25.2 MJ, then you would need to test it with at least 25.2 MJ, more than that actually because product ratings need to be a little bit on the conservative side to account for things like component to component variability, if you plan to make more than one.

Won't it cost a small fortune to buy enough capacitors to deliver a 25.2 megajoule pulse to your system to prove it can handle that? That sounds like a serious pulse. It's comparable to the capacitors used on some of the most powerful rail guns built to date (that we know of):

Railgun

On January 31, 2008 the US Navy tested a railgun that fired a shell at 10.64 MJ with a muzzle velocity of 2,520 m/s.

The power was provided by a new 9-megajoule (MJ) prototype capacitor bank using solid-state switches and high-energy-density capacitors delivered in 2007 and an older 32-MJ pulse power system from the US Army’s Green Farm Electric Gun Research and Development Facility

nextbigfuture.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/36f90d003e64.jpg[/atsimg]

Rail gun capacitor banks constructed at a General Atomics facility in San Diego

Isn't a 25 megajoule rating a little aggressive? Those are some serious capacitor banks my friend!

And the other question is, can the capacitor circuit deliver the pulse fast enough? If the EMP ramps up in microseconds and the capacitor circuit ramps up in milliseconds,then it's not ramping up as fast as the actual pulse. And the MOV have a response time in nanoseconds, or even less than a nanosecond in some cases. So a demonstration that the simulated EMP from the capacitor circuit is a pretty good duplication of the waveform we'd expect from an actual EMP would be helpful to further validate the test result. So that covers energy absorbtion ratings.

There are two other ratings you might want to evaluate to compare your system with other surge protectors:

www.howstuffworks.com...

* Clamping voltage - This tells you what voltage will cause the MOVs to conduct electricity to the ground line. A lower clamping voltage indicates better protection. There are three levels of protection in the UL rating -- 330 V, 400 V and 500 V. Generally, a clamping voltage more than 400 V is too high.

* Energy absorption/dissipation - This rating, given in joules, tells you how much energy the surge protector can absorb before it fails. A higher number indicates greater protection. Look for a protector that is at least rated at 200 to 400 joules. For better protection, look for a rating of 600 joules or more.

* Response time - Surge protectors don't kick in immediately; there is a very slight delay as they respond to the power surge. A longer response time tells you that your computer (or other equipment) will be exposed to the surge for a greater amount of time. Look for a surge protector that responds in less than one nanosecond.

So the other two are clamping voltage, and response time. I think you mentioned those earlier but I don't recall if you gave specific values or were using the standard UL measurement methods for those. Just something else to consider.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

25.2MJ is a serious burst that would not be in my favor because I don’t have a big test facility. I would have to get as much power as possible because this will help later when I request to test at facilities that have all that power. But, the current through a rail-gun is much higher than an EMP; MA for the gun and kA for the EMP. The reverse is that the EMP is much higher in voltage, so it would be easier to at least get to 200kV.

The only problem is getting a power supply durable enough to charge a bank to that higher power rating, I would need to charge it for a few days due to the limited power the average homes are supplied with. But, this will still help in pushing forward with convincing people.

If I can successfully convince people that my system actually survived the discharge from the bank, then It would be much easier to test at one of the electronic EMP facilities because only the response of my system would be the last thing on the list. I would have already shown that it could stand up to increases of voltage, attenuate that, and withstand a quick pulse from a capacitor bank.

So, the main goal here is to just have a video that provides enough to prove my system actually works, as it should.

The clamping voltage mostly depends on what was predefined before installation. Say a community power diverter is rated for 250kV, split across many homes. My system will allow the 250kV, just like the MOVs, but once it get above a certain margin of error, say 5%, 262kV, my system will kick in and block all of the transient voltage. So, the clamping voltage depends on the place of installation.

The response time will always be instantaneous. It’s very hard to prove this without compromising my system. What I’m trying to do is to have this tested with a major EMP facility that could make a report and back up my statements of how my system responds.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join