It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great news! Hawass 'rainchecks' retirement

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/15a2aaa6e784.jpg[/atsimg]

Dr Zahi Zawass has been granted an extension to his contract by Egyptian leader President Mubarak.

This is the fourth year of the festival, and I was planning on saying goodbye in my speech, as I was planning to retire in May. However, thanks to President Mubarak, who appointed me Vice Minister so that I would not have to retire, I can now complete all of the projects that I began.
Festival of Archaeologists: Hawass blog

That looks like an 'indefinite extension.'

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I don't like him, and this is bad news to me.

He thinks that he owns Egyptian history and can keep it sealed shut away from me.

However the reality is, that every human on Earth own Egyptian History, as most of us have descent from there. It is one of the 4 major cradles of civilization after all.

They need to open everything up and let the public see all the good stuff.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
You really consider this good news? He is a problem and I thought by law he had to retire? Now everything they are bringing up will be hidden just like it is now. He needs to get his head out of the sand and start talking! He lies and hides finds and then claims other finds as his own. He should have no more say in Egyptian archaeology anymore, he has had enough. Egyptian history is important and he could careless about the actual history, he wants his own history which is not accurate!

Hawass=BAD

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

The thread title was intended to be humorous. The deferred retirement isn't 'great news' at all to many people around here.
or

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

You really consider this good news?

I looked and noone on here has even remotely said this is 'good news'. so there. lol

What has he hidden exactly though?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
The thread title was intended to be humorous.

Well you hit your mark then.

I'm just wondering what they've discovered that they need an expert cover-up for. He's the man for sure!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
oh FUDGE! i had set a countdown to his retirement... HUMPH.

SAD FACE. DO NOT WANT!

oh well.. we'll never know the secrets of egypt
start looking to the underwater city in japan!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Anything that proves the pyramids are far older than commonly thought. Anything that may show that the pyramids were not built by the people we think built them.

His current obstruction pertains to his denial of anything under the paw of the sphinx, even though it was shown that there is in fact a chamber under the paw that is now secretly being excavated.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
You haven't heard the worst news yet... Hawass has found the Egyptian secrets to prolong life and has kept them to himself, however, it has been reported that he will be in his current position for the entirety of the future...

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Good news, hopefully things will change but not holding my breath, heard he was retiring a couple of months ago and wrote Graham Hancock about it, he said it was true.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnivea
reply to post by Republican08

Anything that proves the pyramids are far older than commonly thought. Anything that may show that the pyramids were not built by the people we think built them.

His current obstruction pertains to his denial of anything under the paw of the sphinx, even though it was shown that there is in fact a chamber under the paw that is now secretly being excavated.

Aww yes, I remember the chamber under the paw....... wasn't Cayce convinced that the map of atlantis was there? Or the knowledge of Atlantis was there?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnivea

It's the 'anything' that leads to the ridicule. Instead of reading some of the academic literature, following the evidence, 'anything' is accepted as credible.

On the scales...there's centuries of evidence proving Egyptians built the pyramids. On the other side there's a few websites and books. It's a measure of the mind that some are able to dismiss the actual evidence in preference to Herschell, Hancock et al.

Stargates, time machines, inter-dimensional machines, spacecraft, power generators, harmonic resonators, docking ports, star maps, beacons, alien relics etc. 'Anything' is all imagination and very little evidence

Below is an image of the 'Great' Pyramid. Look at the construction...dog rough! Woof!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/afc011dc8685.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I agree.. this is very bad news.

He has been the driving force that stops true historical facts from coming to light. People want to study the pyramids and check their theories of how and why they were built.. He has stopped them all for years.

He wants people to believe the same old fairy tales that are the stereotypical things people believe about Egypt.

Such as the Pyramids were ancient King burial places.

But No Kings or bodies have even been found in any of them.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
The only person who consider this good news is Hawass himself.....and his wife.....if you'd ask me.

Maybe his extension has to do with new finds or with what is going on at the Sphinx.

I agree with many on this thread who say that Hawass is holding back stuff and is willing to write his own Egyptian history.

The way he likes to be in control says a lot about the man.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by zatara]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

People want to study the pyramids and check their theories of how and why they were built.. He has stopped them all for years.

Let's say I want to test the harmonic resonance of Wrigley Field or suspect Jefferson's treasure is buried under a national monument. Can I turn up with my bucket, spade and camcorder and start digging? No. I'd have to go 'through channels.'

Every developed and/or stable country has rules about their national monuments. They're there to protect national heritage. Egypt has as much right to protect it's heritage and maximise tourism as any other nation.

As for Zahi? He has a massive ego and litters his writing and conversation with me, me, me and I, I, I. Publicly, he rarely seems to give credit to colleagues in the field. Moreso, he actively leaves the impression that every significant find in Egypt has been single-handedly discovered and excavated by himself.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Hawass is overstaying his welcome in this field like so many visiting relatives do. He needed to take the hint when he saw his suitcase packed up so nicely and the cab waiting at the door for him.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by zatara
The only person who consider this good news is Hawass himself.....and his wife.....if you'd ask me.

Glad I didn't ask you, then, because I consider it great news. Especially for Egypt.

Harte

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Time will tell if this is good news or not. I do have a question to ask all the "mourners" though.

"Who decides who is in charge of archeological things in general in a sovereign state?"

Is it so bad, for Egypt anyway, that he is in charge? Is it so bad that he wants to have stolen (yes, i mean every letter of the word) artifacts returned to their birthplace? Is it so bad that he wants to "secure" every major find, if any, before announcing it? After all, is it so bad that he wants to "bask" in the light that his life's work has created for him?

To put it in a slightly different tone, how do museums all over the world justify the possession of artifacts that were NOT made by the people in the area but were plainly STOLEN? To be more specific, in which part of BRITAIN and by which BRITISH people exactly were the Parthenon Marbles, that "reside" in the British Museum today, made? Why are they attracting tourists in London when the only relation to London is that the THIEF was forced to sell them there? Are they part of the BRITISH heritage? Seriously, can even ONE Brit claim they had anything to do with them other than STEALING them?

Or, do you think EVERYTHING a museum near possesses is on display for all to see?

Kand, forgive me for venting like this but this is, to me, a sensitive subject.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Maegnas

You're preaching to the choir. A large part of the debate for the British Museum keeping many artifacts is a 'paternalistic' assumption they will be safer there than in the countries of origin. The same argument, in part' is found in any Western institution.

Politically, it's a tangled web. Not all artifacts in Western museums have been stolen, or bought from thieves. Provenance is lost in the distant past. Even the trade in valuable artifacts goes back to at least Ptolamaic days when Romans carted treasures back to Rome.

Regarding the Elgin Marbles, there are two sides to the story. I support their return.

In recent years, it's absolutely acceptable for countries to secure their heritage from outside interests. Hawass is simply the figurehead of a process supported by every nation on earth. His attempts to have antiquities returned is inevitable. Perhaps his media personality attracts more ire than deserved?

Certainly, his lack of interest in fringe archaeologists and writers
has drawn the attention of their fans. Their central theme is how Egyptians were too stupid to build their own monuments and Hawass is lying to cover it up. That's pretty insulting.

Why are they surprised to find him ignoring their requests?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I personally do not like the man from what I have seen of him. I do believe, without any proof, that he keeps things from the public. Even from the Egyptian people, well the civilians anyway. With that said I do believe each nation has the right to all artifacts proven to be stolen, not items that were removed without the current administrations approval. I also believe that if the artifacts are on display and are safe where they are they should stay there if all the Egyptians are going to do is stuff it into a box for storage.
In my opinion ancient history is as important to all of humanity as art or knowledge is and should be shared.

Obviously most governments and allot of people disagree with me, and for them and Egypts government in particular this is a good thing. Personally, from what I know, this is not a good thing for humanity or the general public, however you want to look at it. I was looking forward to his retirement.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join