It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Profanity and Censor Circumvention on the Rise

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
**bump**
as this is a message that needs to be heard

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Bumping as a friendly reminder from the ATS staff!

C'mon folks. We all know the rules!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
What the flying poop?

Potty mouths running loose?

Dirty birdies...

MM

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask
What the flying poop?

Potty mouths running loose?

Dirty birdies...

MM

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

On second thought....redacted.....

(It's for the best).
edit on 13 February 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

The swearing Paul. It has no nobility.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
*** KNOCK IT OFF ***

This isn't a joke.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
*** KNOCK IT OFF ***

This isn't a joke.

Lol....sorry.

And trust me sir, I know its not a joke. I have a huge problem with vulgarity on these boards and applaud the staff's attempts at trying to curb it.

Thanks for the "reminder".

MM

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Looks like it's time to remind people before we start handing out warnings again.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I've been meaning to inquire about this, and I suppose this is a good time.

Basically, just what is acceptable and what is not? Is "S***" (literally, that's just how I typed it) really so offensive? Or would even "****" be considered unacceptable?
What about "hell"? "Damn"?

I'm not trying to be difficult; I'm serious.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AngryOne

If it's a word or phrase you wouldn't say in a business setting in front of a prospective client, or formal academic setting, or in front of your maiden aunt's church group, don't say it here.

We assume our members already have a grasp of civility and proper decorum. The overwhelming majority of our members have no problem ascertaining acceptable, proper behavior. If someone needs to learn those skills, they need to do it somewhere else and then come here and participate.

This is something we can split hairs on all day. Anyone seriously confused by the issue may be in the wrong place.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

If it's a word or phrase you wouldn't say in a business setting in front of a prospective client, or formal academic setting, or in front of your maiden aunt's church group, don't say it here.

We assume our members already have a grasp of civility and proper decorum. The overwhelming majority of our members have no problem ascertaining acceptable, proper behavior. If someone needs to learn those skills, they need to do it somewhere else and then come here and participate.

This is something we can split hairs on all day. Anyone seriously confused by the issue may be in the wrong place.

Excellent explanation..!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

One can express anger without vulgarities. It's really not difficult when you substitute vulgarities with acceptable language. I know 'the punch' isn't exactly the same but 'effects' can be just as devastating.

It's my opinion that the policies implemented and enforced by ATS is what attracts a majority of its members. The diversity of forums, as well as the people posting in them, brings about a change of pace from the rest of the internet.

I will agree with the OP. I've seen a rise of T & C violations lately and a person can't conduct themselves in an orderly manner without having to throw vulgarities in their speech, then they can go and start a website and allow this kind of behavior.

The success of ATS lies in the fact that there are many who wish to discuss topics in a civilized manner without having to put up with or resort to barbarism.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

Intelearthling, I believe you have missed my point. I could hold forth for hours about how angry things make me, in very proper language. That proper language however, due to my ability to use the language I speak to no small effect, would in fact be far more offensive, gut churning, and thoroughly disgusting to read than any four letter terminology that has ever been uttered or written.
However, although this would no doubt get me a reputation for depravity and all round wrongness, the intent of a statement of displeasure with a certain group or individual, or situation, is not to disgust, but to express.

If I WANTED to be deeply offensive, I would be very verbose, use the full breadth of my linguistic capabilities, and I can assure you, people would be cleaning vomit out of thier keyboards for a month.
The intent of using a four letter expletive , or for that matter, any other kind, is to prevent ones self from painting a more accurate portrait of damnation, than that which would be provided by unleashing the full palette, with which a person may paint a picture with words.

I previously stated that speaking honestly about how I feel requires me to use language which the censors consider inappropriate, and I stand by that. It is not my intent to disgust people, but if I describe all the glorious horror of the way I feel about certain subjects, my posts will be unreadable. There are two ways about this, and two ways only.
Either, I get to speak my mind freely, or I do not. If I do not, then the site must accept that its policy is repressing my freedom of speech. If I can speak my mind freely, then fine.
The fact is , there is no grey space, and any acceptance of the existance of a grey space in such a black and white issue, is basicaly a very small and unobtrusive form of the appeasement that saw the Nazis increase thier power and military might in Germany before the begining of the war proper many years ago.

I like to know where I stand, and where the people who control the places I go in life, and online stand, and how our interactions are to be understood from my angle, so that there is no confusion. It is improper for a website which claims to deny ignorance, to censor people for being honest. That in itself is the height, the very pinnacle of ignorance and stupidity.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I like to know where I stand, and where the people who control the places I go in life, and online stand, and how our interactions are to be understood from my angle, so that there is no confusion. It is improper for a website which claims to deny ignorance, to censor people for being honest. That in itself is the height, the very pinnacle of ignorance and stupidity.

I also like people to know where I stand, without confusion. I don't need to use vulgarities to make myself clear, and neither do you considering your interactions in this thread.

ATS does not in any form censor your opinion. If you are unable to articulate that opinion without being ignorant, rude or vulgar then really that is the particular person's problem, not the community's. Civility & Decorum is a requirement for proper debate and discussion of difficult topics.

The Terms & Conditions aren't difficult to understand regarding this matter.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

And I do not accept that your assertion that apparantly vulgar words are any less valid methods of communication than the more long winded,and therefore less readable and efficient methods that are recomended for members.

I do not accept that the rules as they are , work, are justified,or that they promote the destruction of ignorance. It is the very description of ignorance to use ten words when three will suffice, and as emotional shorthand I know of few better ways to shorten a scentence than to reduce a lot of waffle to a four letter cannon blast...but of course, they are the rules. The ignorant do not have to understand them, or agree with them right? They just have to obey them.

I use flowery , polite language around those I do not trust, around strangers, around enemies, and around persons for whom have a deep dislike. My friends and I are honest with eachother. When we have had a *insert expletive of your choice* of a day, we will tell it like it is.
When we are utterly sickened by a state of affairs in the news, or in society, we do not dig out a dictionary to find the correct terminology for it. We use language efficiently by not wasting words , making our feelings pretty, or by editing them for consumption by grandmothers , little children barely out of thier diapers, or vicars or councilmen. We say what we feel, and we get it out there without preamble.

I am being asked , by adherance to the rules of this site, to speak to the membership the way I speak to my enemies. Carefuly, delicately, using longwinded and frankly inefficient language, to make points which in thier raw format, regardless of any possible failing on my part as a writer, would be more honest, comming as they do from the heart, and would be a lot quicker, and alot less longwinded to read, and to respond to.

I will continue to use this site, and to love it. I will continue to follow the rules. But I cannot be honest with my fellow members, and I can only refer to them, and converse with them in a manner which I only see fit for use with the worst scum I come across in my daily life.

If my honesty , my truth is unacceptable, then the site must accept that IT is repressing my ability to be honest, or efficient in my speech, and is censoring something which I consider to be a matter of my cultural heritage, and not just a whim , or an expression of laziness, but vital for speedy , honest, and efficient communication between myself and other members.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Jiminy Crickets!

Why in the Sam Hill do you want to turn ATS into a kindergarden...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
The success of ATS has been its Terms and Conditions which foster intelligent interaction. The rule against profanity and censor circumvention of such terminology has been in effect as long as I've been a member.

It's not going to change anytime soon. Save your vulgar language for those places where it might be effectual for flying the personal 'in your face' ego flag.

It never has, is not now and never will be appreciated here.
edit on 16/6/11 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
reply to post by AngryOne

Well, so here it is... For some reason, the mods think that most members want to be talked to like their maiden aunt's church group...

Could someone from overseas tell me why the frack (battlestar galactica language, not profanity circumvention) US americans tend to be so anal (If this is considered a curseword, I'm outta here) about bloody drat curse-words?

Also, apart from hypocrisy practice, why, is it that For Pete's sake is acceptable, while for ****'s sake is not? Is there some inherent blasphemy law that I don't know of, is it for fear of being smited from above? Is the written form of those words for some reason dangerous to anyone?
edit on 16-6-2011 by oniris because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by oniris
tell me why the frack (battlestar galactica language, not profanity circumvention)

Fracking is also a method of drilling for natural gas.

It's not the word, as Mr Crapper would be fond of saying (if he were alive today), it's the intention behind it. In this case, it is taken in the intended context... a colourful word used in a popular television series.

US americans tend to be so anal (If this is considered a curseword, I'm outta here) about bloody drat curse-words?

I suppose Canadians are as well, then.

Anal is not a curseword, 'Goddamn' is and it is not edited out either. Profanities are, for the most part, connected to sex in varied ways. Bloody drat, poop and pee, eh?

Also, apart from hypocrisy practice, why, is it that For Pete's sake is acceptable, while for ****'s sake is not?

Now that is censor circumvention and, if it were not a BBQ thread in which I was involved, I would remove your entire post as Ill-mannered. Pete has no sexual connotation, but your censor circumvention certainly does. Don't pretty it up by saying you intended it to meant 'fork' or 'pork' because it is the popular method on this website to get around a very popular profanity.

If you continue down this road, I'm afraid staff would have to have a little private chat with you about your willingness to abide by the T&C's. That's not a threat... that's a promise.

Is there some inherent blasphemy law that I don't know of, is it for fear of being smited from above?

Blasphemy is not censored. Don't try to bring religion into this because we're talking about profanities here.

I don't see common vulgarities having anything to do with faith of any kind.

edit on 17/6/11 by masqua because: bb code boo boo

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join