It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Profanity and Censor Circumvention on the Rise

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Thank you so much for posting this reminder.
Makes me feel like the ATS PTB are really paying attention to alerts and complaints.

THANKS!
peace

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I don't really understand how anyone could have trouble posting without using profanity . What I present on ATS is a more restrained and discretionary version of myself it is a elementary trade off that I make in order to obey the T&C and remain an ATS member .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Whine Flu

Someone that swears isn't ignorant.

Maybe not - but by using profanity they're proving they are lazy and selfish.

I applaud ATS for standing firm on their T&C - *Clapping*...

peace

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I find it really hard to not swear, its a really big part of our culture here where I am. We are renound for our swearing lol. But also, whats the swearing criteria based on? I know there are words that are no longer considered swears in Canada and can be said on TV that woudl never be allowed in the US. Its all relative.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I hear you, mate. But hell, it's hard trying to get a small point across, sometimes. If you speak out against things on this site chances are you'll get either slandered or ignored.

I don't like how this sort of attitude ends up in other threads. Oh well, not much we can do but ride the waaaave, duuuuude.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

"lmao" and "wtf" is not profanity nor censor circumvention. "FU" is, and won't be tolerated.

Well I got a warning yesterday for using "WTF"...so apparently this is not correct.

A little clarification on this would be nice...shouldn't all the mods be on the same page on this???

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I think you may want to step out from behind your attitude problem. I may swear but I dont accuse people of laziness and selfishness without knowing anything about them, thier lives, or how the world looks to them.
If anything the only thing lazy and selfish about this debate, is the thinking of those who find reality so unapealing that they support the oppression of those who face reality , and have grown teeth and claws to take it on with.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

"lmao" and "wtf" is not profanity nor censor circumvention. "FU" is, and won't be tolerated.

Well I got a warning yesterday for using "WTF"...so apparently this is not correct.

A little clarification on this would be nice...shouldn't all the mods be on the same page on this???

It's being discussed.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Cool...for the record....I really don't mind the warning.

Just that we have some saying it is ok in this thread and some warning about it. So just thought it should be cleared up.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

OutKast Searcher.....

I actually agree that "WTF", "FU", "STFU", etc... are not appropriate & I posted to that effect earlier in this thread.

I just feel it lowers the tone on here.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
For what it is worth, i try to not use any abbreviated "net lingo". It used to be on the post page as a reminder.

the occassional LOL? Yeah, maybe. But IIRC (if i recall correctly) is just as slow to type for me as the actual phrase (IIRC is not a "normal" key sequence).

it is all about improving our credibility among the general populace.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I found myself feeling tempted to use such language in the past, but it never accomplishes a single thing, even though some feel it helps emphasize some point, but it really doesn't.. It is so much better to learn to be smarter in one's use of words....
I have noticed this around the net in the last several months also and wonder if there are dark forces influencing peoples emotions to be less tolerant, and more easily angered, frustrated, etc. etc..? Because it really seems that the power of it has been stepped up a great deal, and the world keeps getting more nutz in an exponential way... so...

Even if praying hurts your knees, it still might be a good option right now..

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

It's being discussed.

24 hours later...and the silence is deafening.

Only want to know as I do use 'WTF' quite frequently I think, wouldn't dream of using 'FU' or 'STFU', and would like to know what the policy is on this and the points raised earlier.

I fully understand the owners and staff are very busy and something like this may take time...but I don't want a warn, post ban or possibly even a banning in the meantime!

[edit on 26/5/10 by Freeborn]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
48 hours + ?

I know it's not THAT important but....?

Must admit, staff etc are normally much better than this.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Perhaps if you just use profanity when you might call into ATS Live, then its ok.
Just kidding.

Every show has had such "lazy and selfish" language. (Not my description or thinking on this...)

I have no problem with it as long as the words are not directed AT someone as an insult, but there are rules and T&C.

BTW is "hell" at least ok to say? Not as a place, but like "what the hell?"

[edit on 27/5/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by Whine Flu

Someone that swears isn't ignorant.

Maybe not - but by using profanity they're proving they are lazy and selfish.

I applaud ATS for standing firm on their T&C - *Clapping*...

peace

Don't mean to be off topic, but this makes no sense at all, even as an opinion.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

The F-word is against the T&C

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I thought he was asking if the web abbreviation "WTF" is allowed.

And if it's not I hope asking the question doesn't get me a warning or ban...it's a bit hard to clarify things without though.

[edit on 27/5/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

What the hell is ok. What the f-word is not ok

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I know and understand that, and have absolutely no problem with it, as i'm sure the vast majority of members don't.

I also understand that 'FU' and 'STFU' are unacceptable.

But what about, 'WTF'?

And what about the other issues raised?

Thank you for at least attempting to try and clarify things, it is appreciated.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join