It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than 30,000 in NJ protest state budget cuts, Mostly Union & Government Employees

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
More than 30,000 in NJ protest state budget cuts

A crowd estimated at 30,000 to 35,000 people gathered Saturday near New Jersey's Statehouse to protest Gov. Chris Christie's proposed budget cuts.

State police, who gave the crowd estimate, said no problems were reported.

The crowd is believed to be one of the largest ever to protest in state history. It was mostly comprised of public employee union members and several community and nonprofit groups that would lose some or all their funding if Christie's plans are adopted.

Christie has called for workers to accept wage freezes, and he's pushed for them to contribute toward their health benefits.

Governor Christie is just getting started with his budget cuts. Here is a politician who is upholding the principles of what he was elected to do.

Christie just upheld his VETO powers to veto a recently passed bill that would have increased taxes on the residents of New Jersey.

He has cut bloated education union budgets and those of unions employed in the government. He has called for pay freezes for members employed in the public sector and also those in education. No wonder these goons are mad.

Though this might be the largest union organized protest in the States History, but that is all it is. Union organization to muscle over the citizens of New Jersey support for Christie's measures to bring New Jersey under control.

Keep up the good work Mr. Christie...

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

It was mostly comprised of public employee union members and several community and nonprofit groups that would lose some or all their funding if Christie's plans are adopted.

LOL, screw them. Fat cats with government and union jobs don't want to get paid like normal people!

I say cut their benefits more!

Except the non-profits, keep those open, but screw the rest.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I think what he is looking at is what people who are in the private sector are willing to pay, versus what the union and government is paying. I personally like the man and if I lived in NJ, I would support him 100%, as he is trying to take a very bad situation and turn it around. I also think he needs to pull a catipillar and look saying: This is what we are willing to pay, the terms we are willing to deal with. If you don't like it, well there is the door, I am sure we can always find and hire people who are willing to understand that the state can not afford a high rate of pay and be willing to take a job that you currently hold. Do not take too long, as this is not a negotiation or a discussion, it is either yes we will take what you offer and hope that when things are better, we will bennifit, or no we will not and seek employment elsewhere.
Then start to take in applications from people from around the state and country to do the jobs of the people not wanting to give an inch to help the state out.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Protesting is a total waste of time now days. It accomplishes absolutly nothing.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

Wait a minute are saying government union jobs or union jobs in general??

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
People protesting of cutting cush government union jobs?

Sounds like Greece. Don't it?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by crash override
reply to post by breakingdradles

Wait a minute are saying government union jobs or union jobs in general??

Both are taking part in the protest.

Government Union employees and Government workers plus Teachers Unions.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
As an NJ resident, these protesters are precisely the reason C. Christie got elected. John "Goldman Sachs" Corzine (our last gov) catered to the every whim of the public unions and in doing so managed to rack up an epic deficit.

Now the adults amongst the voting populace have said enough of this nonsense and elected a fiscal conservative to reform the state's finances.

The unions have been reacting hysterically to the smallest perturbation of the status quo, e.g. the mere suggestion that teachers would have to commit 1.5% of their salary towards their own health care (as is the case with every private sector employee) is met with spittle sputtered invective. The unions are not used to being challenged in this historically Democratic state.

There is an ~$8 billion entitlement gap that simply cannot be funded because legions of bureaucrats/teachers/dead weight have been promised absurd pensions that will drag NJ down to California-esque levels of insolvency (no, we're not as retarded as the CALPERS folks, but close).

I hope Christie rips off the unions' collective head and sh**s down their throat.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
People protesting of cutting cush government union jobs?

Sounds like Greece. Don't it?

I was going to put that in the OP, but then we would have those dissenters come in and say NJ isn't bankrupt. This has nothing to do with Greece, but in actuality the type of policies that led to this protest will end up like the Greece situation.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tetrahedron

Oh he is going to more than rip their head off.

He is also going for the ultimate kill, not allowing them to reproduce again in this state.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
they are public servants....
what don't they get about the servant part??
there's alot of employees out there in the country that have just had their ira's decresed alot, many more have had their hours cut to what would be more like part time, and still others that have been shown the door....
social security has been robbed, and well, wages sit stagnate or are diministing, their future isn't that bright and rosey either!!

since when do the servants feel "entitled" to a better living than the people they are serving???

it's time for contracts to lose some of their "sacredness"!!
it's time for the courts to come in and redefine the terms, if the gov't and their employees can't come to terms on their own...

but then, when NY wanted to forlough their employees, the court stepped in and said they couldn't do it.....so, who knows!!!

I just know that if the money isn't there, it isn't there!!!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
That is what happens when you finally pull the populace off the state's nipple. The idea that one needs to be productive and competitive to earn a living is an alien thought in many states....

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The sad thing is, if it were not for government workers' unions, we could have our cake and eat it too in this country.

Much of the waste that goes on in government comes from unnecessary bureaucracy. If we could slash the bureaucrats from government payroll, we could cut government spending while maintaining or even expanding government programs that actually help people.

These government workers claim they are trying to protect government programs, when in fact they are the parasites that are killing these programs. I say off with their heads. Unless these people want to do something that is actually helpful like patrolling the streets in a squad car as a police officer or teaching a classroom full of middle school students algebra- they should be cut from the payrolls.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

You see, this is where having a Governor like Christie helps out. He didn't run to be a Governor to get elected again. He is not a politician, he wants to provide justice as he used when he practiced law.

He doesn't make all of these decisions on his own, he lets the resident decide by putting the budgets up for vote. NJ residents rejected 65% of the Teachers Union Budget at the ballot box.

He is merely handing the power of the government back to the people.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Teacher are government employees also. So pretty much anyone in government bloat positions. I am sure they brought in some SEIU also.

S&F by the way.

Here is the thing people, you are going to get all kinds of people out there protesting. Why? Because the people that pay these government employees, us the taxpayers have had it. Lucky I was not governor, I would have instituted a 50% paycut for all government employees including myself, preempted by a tax cut.

But, the sloth government workers will expect that their cush government jobs would remain the same.

I have a question again folks. Is something going on? Is there a concerted effort to things going on in the states?

Is there a plan beginning to develop?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

The Governors have their own Caucus, at the last Caucus meeting it was in consensus of the Governors, though some dissenters from both parties, that the Federal Government is gaining too much power and disrespecting the states a lot. Majority of the Governors swore to protect their states constitution and work more for the people. I would have to search for the article that reported on this, this was just after the election of 2008.

This is what we are seeing in these trying times.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
That is what happens when you finally pull the populace off the state's nipple. The idea that one needs to be productive and competitive to earn a living is an alien thought in many states....

I have been saying this very statement continuously on these boards.

The teet of the government will not always be there, once the source of the money that feeds the teet runs out...what would you do?

Its about time Christie gave those leeches the realization they need.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe

Teacher are government employees also. So pretty much anyone in government bloat positions. I am sure they brought in some SEIU also.

And are the ones who should get the most support but get the least. A friend of mine who is a math teacher tells me of the bureaucracy above him who have job titles that he has no clue as to what they do but with 2x the pay he gets. In many cases it is whole families that have worked their way into unproductive government jobs.

[edit on 23-5-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'm in school to become a high school teacher right now. Best advice I got was, DONT JOIN A UNION. Reminded me growing up as a kid when my dad would tell me how unions ruined his city of Allentown, PA where everybody felt entitled and the companies picked up and left shop.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by newBodyoldSoul
I'm in school to become a high school teacher right now. Best advice I got was, DONT JOIN A UNION. Reminded me growing up as a kid when my dad would tell me how unions ruined his city of Allentown, PA where everybody felt entitled and the companies picked up and left shop.

It is not only the best advice but also life motto one should be preaching to others contemplating such positions.

Unions do not provide fresh ideas, I have found those employed by unions to be lazy as they know they do not have to do anything more that what is required by their contracts.

Unions are such bullsh*t organizations now only meant to seek as many dues as possible so the bosses can live the high life.

Unions had their day in the past when they actually stood up for morality, now they are a criminal organization set up like the Mafia.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join