It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

57 tombs with mummies found in Egypt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
57 tombs with mummies found in Egypt

Archaeologists say discovery throws new light on religion
The Associated Press
updated 12:48 p.m. ET, Sun., May 23, 2010

CAIRO - Archaeologists have unearthed 57 ancient Egyptian tombs, most of which hold an ornately painted wooden sarcophagus with a mummy inside, Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities said Sunday.

The oldest tombs date back to around 2750 B.C., during the period of Egypt's first and second dynasties, the council said in a statement. Twelve of the tombs belong the 18th Dynasty, which ruled Egypt during the second millennium B.C. The 18th Dynasty includes such well-known pharaohs as Tutankhamun, Akhenaten and Queen Hatshepsut.

The discovery throws new light on Egypt's ancient religions, the council said.

Egypt's archaeology chief, Zahi Hawass, said the mummies dating to the 18th Dynasty are covered in linen decorated with religious texts from the Book of the Dead and scenes featuring ancient Egyptian deities.

More:www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Hiya PG. You've made the fatal error of mentioning Zahi Hawass! He's an egotistical guy, but it's hard to ignore the steady stream of discoveries being publicised by the SCA. Reading his blog, it'd be easy to assume that he's just one man with a shovel and bucket

Here's one of the discoveries...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8f175734637c.jpg[/atsimg]

Whatever people's opinions about the guy, the sheer wealth of discoveries under his 'reign' is amazing.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by Pauligirl

Hiya PG. You've made the fatal error of mentioning Zahi Hawass! He's an egotistical guy, but it's hard to ignore the steady stream of discoveries being publicised by the SCA. Reading his blog, it'd be easy to assume that he's just one man with a shovel and bucket

Here's one of the discoveries...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8f175734637c.jpg[/atsimg]

Whatever people's opinions about the guy, the sheer wealth of discoveries under his 'reign' is amazing.

I know. But it's kinda hard to say Egypt and archaeology without his name appearing. I don't know how he does that.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
These are the best kind of threads , It's real , not like all that doom and gloom stuff I'm always seeing.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Amazing new find, I love the picture. Kudos to the team behind the find.

And no, I don't mean JUST the esteemed Mr. Hawass.

That coffin is absolutely stunning! A true artist, whoever painted that thousands of years ago.

[edit on 23-5-2010 by Monger]

top topics

join