It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Government Turns to Kermit the Frog to Promote Reading

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Who knew that Kermit the Frog was this into politics. The campaign of Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (R) has put out a video that features a frog puppet -- that looks much like the famous Sesame Street character -- to help sell the state's controversial immigration law.

The frog encourages opponents to read the immigration law before criticizing it.

Some may scoff, but the law has boosted Brewer in the polls over her Democratic opponent, Terry Goddard.

Move over Dora, Kermit Will Teach You How To Read....

Kermit the frog is promoting reading again.

But this time for those who chose to avoid reading the obvious but instead like to pander on about the bandwagon talking points.

Governor Brewer whose approval rating was south of 50% are now holding steady at 84% approve. That is a higher approval rating than those who support Arizona's bill in her own state.

Bravo Senorita, Bravo...

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that's not Kermit - looks nothing like him.

Although I wholly agree that anyone critiquing something should actually read it first. The problem with lots of legal documentation is that they contain legal language that the average Joe/Joanna isn't used to reading. Lots of these documents tend to be very long as well and it can be easy to slip in things that would otherwise go unnoticed.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

The Kermit bit was tying into the frog, if actual Kermit was used..I think the Government owned Sesame Street might have a fit with it.

As far as the Legal Language in the Bill, its not that hard to understand and the Law is only 12pages long with large font and some double spaced typing.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
reply to post by jokei

The Kermit bit was tying into the frog, if actual Kermit was used..I think the Government owned Sesame Street might have a fit with it.

As far as the Legal Language in the Bill, its not that hard to understand and the Law is only 12pages long with large font and some double spaced typing.

12 pages long? Thats obscene. It's disgusting.

All you need is one freaking sentence to make the real law the way it's suppose to be.

Like. IDK. "Allow state/local cops to enforce immigration laws."

Look I am not saying my sentence is the right way, but 12 pages certainly isn't right either.

I just HATE laws that are longer than a paragraph. It screams BS and con-artist trickery to me.

I mean take the 10 commandments for example, or Hammurabi's Eye for an Eye law. They are super simple and super easy to understand.

What we need, are simple one liner laws. "Legalese" should be "illegal" as well, because making it impossible for normal people to read a stack of papers and make any sense of it proves they are trying to screw us all over.

Although I detest illegal immigration, I detest even more so having a 12page law thrust upon me when ALL WE NEEDED WAS A SIMPLE SENTENCE!

[edit on 23-5-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I just wanted to emphasise the need to actually read what's being discussed... it's something I find particularly lacking here of late and I was agreeing with the OP.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I know what you mean by laws being more than a couple of paragraphs, but in today's litigation abusing society one has to make 11 1/2 pages of writing to cover all the bases of litigation and the other 1/2 page devoted to the law. Most of the pages are redundant to drive the point home.

And Jokei, I know you were in agreement. I was just pointing out about those who make the excuse of 12 pages being too long. Just look at the HCR monstrosity,

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
But in that context, I suppose this 12 page law is a god send compared to that 340page Patriot Act, or the horrific 2000+ page Health care crap.

So yeah, in that context 12 pages is like nothing.

I still yearn for simple one-liner laws that even mentally disabled people can readily understand.

We have to know the laws to uphold them; this is why.

If we do not know the law, we cannot uphold it.

new topics

top topics

join