It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interpol issues global alert for stolen art

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Interpol issues global alert for stolen art

www.cnn.com

Paris, France (CNN) -- Interpol has issued a global alert for a Picasso painting and four other works stolen from a Paris art museum -- a sign that authorities believe thieves may have taken the paintings outside the country.

"These extraordinary paintings by these great masters are so recognizable that they will be difficult to sell in any market," Jean-Michel Louboutin, Interpol's executive director of police services, said in a statement released by the agency Saturday.

Prosecutors estimate that the oil paintings nabbed in a heist at the Modern Art Museum in Paris early Thursday mo
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
It's very unfortunate that such great art is stolen so that we cannot enjoy it.

I am sure the original painters would have wanted their work on display so that thousands of people could look at them.

We are dealing with an extreme level of sophistication," he said in a statement posted on the museum's website.

Girard estimated the artwork was worth about 100 million euros ($123.7 million).

Apparently, these aren't amateurs either..

Thoughts?

~Keeper

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Is it surprising to anyone else that there are really people in the world that has what it takes to pull this off? Just like the movies..

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

35% of ATS users will say: "this is a plot by the NWO to increase the power of its global police force [Interpol]! They'll use it as an excuse to take away our guns!"

35% of ATS users will say: "look at the symbolism in those pictures. Obviously, these paintings were stolen by the Illuminati!"

25% of ATS users will say: "there's NO WAY this job could have been pulled off by humans alone. I'm just sayin'."

4% of ATS users will say: "there's NO WAY this job could have been pulled off by humans alone. It was aliens!"

1% of ATS users will say: "well I hope that lovely museum gets those paintings back."

[edit on 23-5-2010 by Homoousia316]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Hmmm... sounds like Ernst Stavro Blofeld is decorating his new lair....
(Seriously, though, I hope they turn up.)

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Has anyone stopped to think maybe they are collecting pieces of art to be saved past a major destruction? Seed bank anyone?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
They are probably in very good hands

You dont pay someone a few million to steal them just to have them stored in your basement.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by joeroxor
Has anyone stopped to think maybe they are collecting pieces of art to be saved past a major destruction? Seed bank anyone?

Oooh, missed this one in my tally.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
They are probably in very good hands

You dont pay someone a few million to steal them just to have them stored in your basement.

Very true. And Im sure people dont realize how big the stolen art business actually is. Most cases do not make the news - unless its some historical type art.

My former boss (who was FBI) worked for some of his career doing stolen art cases - all over the country. He said it is a huge 'business'. He only worked domestic - but outside of even the US its probably even bigger due to the historical art located outside of the the US

[edit on May 23rd 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The paintings probably weren't stolen to sell in a public auction just to let INTERPOL know. They were stolen for one or two wealthy elitist to bid over and place in their study of one of their castles. No one will ever find the art there because of how private an elitist’ home office is due to their security to keep everything top secret.

Now he can just look at the priceless works of art to remember those crazy ole times, when he paid a team of ninja, jewel thieves to steal hundred million dollars worth of art from a national museum, just for a center piece to his private home office.

new topics

top topics

join