It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Mushrooms Save the US Coast from BP Oilspill?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
As I was thinking about the oil spill in the gulf and the potentially catastrophic impacts it may have on the gulf coast wetlands, I recalled seeing a video regarding the use of mycelium as a tool for bioremediation that was presented by Paul Stamets a mycologist. Below, is some information on this biological solution for your perusal. I believe that this solution may have some promise. What are your thoughts?

Enjoy!

Related Thread: Paul Stamets: 6 ways mushrooms can save the world

Paul Stamets’ Statement On Mycoremediation And It's Applications To Oil Spills

[edit on 23-5-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Very interesting. I was thinking about this the other day after recalling that I read a fascinating post here on ATS a couple of years ago. It said something about a "mushroom network" which was a reference to the roots of the mushroom?!

It mentioned that mushrooms could break down radioactive materials? Regenerate ecosystems damaged by pollution??
I'm really not sure but I will try and find the link and add it to this post.

[edit on 23/5/2010 by itchy_tartan_blanket]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Following up on this topic, I saw that Paul Stamets has a number of publications, including this one:

Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World

Has anyone had an opportunity to read this? It sounds like an interesting read. I may have to make a trip to the half-priced book store today and see if I can obtain a copy.

join