It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Examine Fishy Origins of Human Life: (what, not aliens?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Humans have hardy prehistoric fish ancestors to thank for paving the way to their eventual evolution, a new study suggests.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c26c76e9b7bd.jpg[/atsimg]
A Gladbachus shark fossil used in the research, pictured in the scientists' lab.

About 360 million years ago a mass extinction event hit the reset button on Earth's life, wiping out most of the fish that existed then near the time when the first vertebrates (all animals with backbones) crawled from water towards land. The species fortunate enough to survive set the stage for modern vertebrate biodiversity. "Everything was hit; the extinction was global," said study leader Lauren Sallan of the University of Chicago. "It reset vertebrate diversity in every single environment, both freshwater and marine, and created a completely different world."

The extinction hit near the end of the Age of Fishes (more commonly known as the Devonian Period, from 416 to 359 million years ago) for the broad array of species present in Earth's aquatic environments. Armored prehistoric fish called placoderms and lobe-finned fishes — similar to the modern lungfish — dominated the waters, while ray-finned fishes, sharks and tetrapods — vertebrate animals with four feet — were in the minority. But between the Devonian Period and the following Carboniferous period, placoderms disappeared and ray-finned fishes rapidly replaced lobe-finned fishes as the dominant group, a demographic shift that persists today.

The researchers analyzed the vertebrate fossil record and pinpointed a critical shift in diversity to the Hangenberg extinction event. The Hangenberg event hit 15 million years after another extinction event — the Late Devonian Kellwasser event, considered to be one of the Big Five extinctions in Earth's history — that scientists have long theorized that was responsible for a marine invertebrate species shake-up. Prior to the extinction, lobe-finned forms such as Tiktaalik and the earliest limbed tetrapods such as Ichthyostega had made the first moves toward a land-dwelling existence.

But after the extinction, a long stretch of the fossil record known as "Romer's Gap," is almost barren of tetrapods, a puzzle that had confused paleontologists for many years. The 15-million-year gap was the hangover after the traumatic Hangenberg event, said the study's authors. When tetrapods finally recovered, those survivors were likely the great-great-grandfathers to the vast majority of land vertebrates present today, including humans.
Source: www.foxnews.com...

Well, taking the UFO/Aliens factor out of this, this explaination is about the best I have heard on how we came from water to land. But I am not an expert, or even novice, in this field. Sounds plausable.

As much plausable as life was brought to earth via a satelite of some type. Yes? Or even us being put here by Aliens. But, I will say that I do think some form of human was here but it was either genetically altered on purpose or natually over time as the Aliens stayed and expanded.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
What? No takers on this one. Man, I thought it would have gone off more-especially towards the UFO/Aliens side of it.

Must be a dead Sunday? Or everyone agrees we came from Fish?

join