It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

challenge to all of you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
tell me one bit of the bible that is pointless, not contradictory or any arguement of that sort although they can be fun. I want ppl to write verses of the bible that are pointless in being in there so we can start a debate about it lol.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Do you know of a pointless story or verse in the bible? I believe every story in the bible can be positively applied to our own lives.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Heh. OK, how about Numbers?
God tells Moses to census the tribes of Israel.

Wouldn't God already know how many people there were in the tribes?

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
What is the point of not shaving? Your not even supposed to trim.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
Heh. OK, how about Numbers?
God tells Moses to census the tribes of Israel.

Numbers 1:1-2

The LORD spoke to Moses in the Tent of Meeting in the Desert of Sinai on the first day of the second month of the second year after the Israelites came out of Egypt. He said: "Take a census of the whole Israelite community by their clans and families, listing every man by name, one by one.

Taking a count of was to determine the strength of Israel�s military. It also served to organize the tribes and determine how much land would be needed as well as providing genealogical records. Without this census the conquering and organization of the Promised Land would have been more difficult.

Before starting a difficult task we should take count of all we have � possessions, relationships, spiritual condition, time and goals in order to help guarantee a positive outcome.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Yes. But God was with the tribes at this time. So why didn't he just tell Moses how many men he had? They were talking to each other all of the time at this stage so it's not like there wasn't any contact.

Sure, Moses might have needed to know how many people there were if they were going to take specific cities, but God even told them which cities to take and what to do with the inhabitants.

I do like your finishing statement though. But maybe it should read, "before we kick the # out of some poor sod we should check our weapons".

[edit on 8-6-2004 by Leveller]

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
God is our father, we are his children, and he is doing exactly what any good father would do. If God did everything for us what would we learn? How dies the old saying go �Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime�.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Yeah but that's an assumption, you're assuming what God was doing, and therefore your opinoin/view is tainted because its based upon your perception of things. You say God was simply teaching man, yet others like myself and Leveller may argue that its simply a pointless section, or IMO one of the Bible's many flaws. After all man wrote the bible and indeed man is flawed, therefore everything being a product of man flawed as well.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
So you think it was a maths lesson? Sorry, I don't go with that.

I see Moses numbering his army for his own purposes of warfare. Maybe not pointless in the context of warfare but not exactly relevant in the realms of spirituality.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well to us Pagans, it's pretty much just a good story, with a bit of real world historical accounting. LOL,

Just having a spot of fun there, seriously though, to Christians the bible should be read in it's entirety, if there are parts that may be pointless to one particular Christian at one particular moment of their lives, but each of the stories does have a moral.

I will also agree with the Holy Roman Catholic Church though when they say that the bible should not be taken literally. Instead one should read each of the Old Testament's stories with the same mindset that one would read the fables that Jesus told to illustrate his points, that is, while not factually having occoured, these stories do hold a moral that should be thought about, interpreted for relevancy and Christians should follow.

May Peace Travel With You
~Astral

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Khonsu
You say God was simply teaching man, yet others like myself and Leveller may argue that its simply a pointless section, or IMO one of the Bible's many flaws.

It lies in faith, but it doesn�t take a theological scholar to see how we can apply the lessons of the bible to our lives. It holds many universal truths dealing with the condition of man, we can all learn from the bible even if you don�t believe in God or that the bible is his word.

Originally posted by Khonsu
After all man wrote the bible and indeed man is flawed, therefore everything being a product of man flawed as well.

The Bible does not claim that it was sent down from god in its entirety. Instead, it claims to be written by both God and men, and written in a way that perfectly says whatever God wanted it to say. So the bible says what God intended.

2 Peter 1:19-21

Prophecy of Scripture

And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

bible.gospelcom.net...

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I think every "Holy Book" should be read, but take them for what they are, books, written by the flawed hand of man. To think that these texts are completely accurate, true and relevant is ludacris, like most things parts are and parts arent. Some would have you believe that these holy books are perfect and pure, yet nothing material is, the only thing which is is God itself, and I shudder to think that some would make such claims which equivicate holy books to God.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
So you think it was a maths lesson?

No, I think the story can be considered a "life lesson".

join