It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yashua, or Jesus, anyone have a difinitive answer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Now i have been reading about this debate about the original name of Jesus/ or Yashua.

Website

and here...

Website 2

These are just examples. I am really looking for clarification on this issue and i am wondering if anyone else has looked at this?

Does this really matter, or is it the image that one conjures with the mind, or the association of the feelings with ones heart that truly matters?

If this has already been covered please refer me to thread as i haven't seen it, or found my answer in my searches.

[edit on 23-5-2010 by onequestion]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Jesus original name was Joshua. Which in Aramaic is Yashua.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Is this how you commonly refer to his name? During the time of translation do you know if they were translating names into english as well as words? Or did they not translate names?

I should have included these questions in the OP as well..

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Jesus is the Latin derivation of the Hebrew Yeshua, Judas is Latin for Yehudah, Mary is Latin for Miryim, and Joseph is Latin for Yosef.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Ohhh i see, so in the original text Jesus was translated out of Hebrew, into latin, and once again it was not translated into english from latin. Interesting. Do you have experience reading the original text at all, or is this information you have found in your research? What is your source?

I have read this before, i am hoping that someone with some sort of expert knowledge of text translation, or even someone who can read the language can add their advice.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

In terms of English, this language is heavily rooted in both Latin and Greek, and if you spoke both languages fluently your need to use a dictionary would be minimal. I do not speak Hebrew, I learned basic Latin in school, and speak Spanish much more fluently, which is, of course, another Latin based language where the name Jesus, pronounced Hey-soos, is a common name.

Jesus spoke both Hebrew and Greek fluently, as did many Jews of that day. In terms of translation of texts, the Old Testament is written in Hebrew, but the New Testament, or at least the Pauline texts were written in Greek, as Paul was a salesman attempting to sell a new religion to the world, and Greek facilitated that purpose better than Hebrew did. The Latin translations came about due to the Christian influence in Rome, and the current New Testament was heavily edited during the First Council of Nicaea, headed by the Roman Emperor Constantine.

The 1385 Wycliffe Manuscript of the New Testament is generally considered to be the first English translation.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

I think your linked websites are mistaken in believing that it matters. If a name comes from a language which is not your own, you may well have difficulty in pronouncing it in the exact style of natives. How accurately do westerners pronounce Chinese "tones" or the "clicks" of some African languages? How often are western names mispronounced in other cultures? I myself have reason to avoid any name beginning with "R".

The original name of Jesus was modified to Iesous by Greek-speakers and to Jesus by Latin-speakers. (But I think the "hard" way the "J" is pronounced at the beginning is an English-language contribution- or at least not the way the original Romans would have pronounced it).

I'm convinced that he truly does not care. You invoke him by the thought in your mind, not by the exact sounds coming out of your mouth.

[edit on 23-5-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Check out posts by member sigismundus who has a lot of academic knowledge about biblical translations.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Yehoshua is Aramaiac meaning Gods Salvation , Joshua is Hebrew meaning Gods Salvation , Jason is Greek meaning the Healer and Jesus Christ(os) is latin meaning Gods Salvation King !The J is pronounced Y . These are Titles not names . None of these are the One in questions name ! It is a title like President , no child was born President Bush , Clinton etc. They are given titles . No child was born Jesus Christ . The One you speak of that became Jesus Christ was at birth named Benjamin Josepth .Benjamin after His Tribe . Josepth after his fatherly Gaurdian . I will elaborate on this more in a moment .

If Jesus Christ was a first name and surname like John Smith , one could expect a referance to a Mr Josepth Christ or Mary Christ through out the new testament . This would not be unusual if this was the case however it is not and it is just assumed . One needs to ask why ?

Here are a few clues to Benjamin Josepth -
Benjamin translates to "Son of the right hand " ( Christ's seat is to the right of Gods )

The first King of Israel is Saul from the tribe Benjamin ( and the first shall become the last ! ).

Galilee was territory of Benjamin as was Capernaum , Cana ,Magdala and
Nazzareth . Where The Christ performed his miracles and started His Ministery .

Joshua 18:28 Jerusalem ( Jesu )is amongst the land given to Benjamin when Israel was devided amongst the Tribes .

Deuterononomy 33:12 Of Benjamin, "The beloved of the Lord shall dwell in safety in him ;and the Lord shall cover him all the day long , and he shall dwell between his shoulders" ( Sound anything like the baptism by John the Baptist ? ) .

The New Testament say's the Lord shall return when Shiloh comes.
The Old Testament states that the daughters of Shiloh were given to the men of Benjamin as Brides .

Also please consider that the Christ's return will be under a different name . A different name ???? Yes , many people over look this passage from revelations. Read this were The Christ addresses the church of Philadelphia - the new Jerusalem coming down from Heaven-and My new Name !

The new name is hidden in the calander-
July
August
September
October
November

I am aware of the Family Tree provided in Matthew .This has been manipulated and edited for a purpose . Research the return of Benjamin Josepth ( Christ [ past tense ] )and the battle between the advisary Benjamin David ( Antichrist [ past tense ] ) .Please digest and research what I am saying before any attack on myself . This is not an attack on anyones belief or on Christanity .If anything it is complimentry .If you don't want to accept what I have written here then please don't .

[edit on 23-5-2010 by 13th Zodiac]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

I'm going to pick up and query some of the points you've made.

First; I agree that "Christ" is not a surname, but, as far as I'm aware, nobody has been thinking that Christ was a surname. I believe surnames were not in use.

Next, "Joshua" is present as a name, not a title, not only in the time of Moses, but also in Zechariah ch3. Those are not the only examples, but the first ones I could think of quickly.

You've offered evidence only of various associations with Benjamin; none of them show that he was actually given that name.

Finally, the point you make about; July, August, September, October, November. This is the Roman calendar, established before Jesus was born. Why, and how, would secrets about the Jewish Jesus be embedded in it?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I believe the entity goes by Jeshua nowadays.

Also Sananda as 'he' evolves higher.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Christ refers to the energy he planted on Earth.

The Christ consciousness. Or Christed one. He was fully embodying his higher/future self during his time incarnate. This was for the benefit of humankind.

In more recent years, others have been bringing this energy into the Earth plane... lightworkers, some people call them.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Thank you for your peaceful , intelligent and very fair reply .Do you mind if I reply Tuesday evening as it is past midnight here .I am sure many will want to crucify me for this thread , pun intended. I am happy to answer your questions but once I have ,I don't want to debate everybody on this as this is a vast subject and would warrant a thread the size of the old testiment it's self . It is not that I can't defend what I have said , but the points would eventually become mute as some people won't accept anything that anybody says wether right or wrong . If people wish to disagree that is their right and choice , what I have to say is not for everyone . Thanks again for you peaceful and great reply .

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

"Jesus" is an Anglicized corruption of a Latin corruption (Jesu) of a Greek corruption ('Iessu) of a Hebrew corruption (eYeshiva) of an Aramaic corruption (e'Yashuv) of the word that we Anglicize as "Joshua."

Basically, the Aramaic word that we render "Jesus" is to the Aramaic word that we render "Joshua" as Megan is to Meaghan.

top topics

join