It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Amateur Photos from commercial flight over Gulf of Mexico

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Link to aerial photo of Mississippi River delta.

gulfsci.usgs.gov...

Here is a link to a photo of brackish water meeting water of the Atlantic ocean in Winyah Bay, near Georgetown, SC. I am sure some could look at this photo and be convinced that they are looking at an oil slick.

disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Sorry, my limited computer skills prevent me from imbedding these.

In the OP photos, if one looks, they can see river channels cutting through the marshland. The 'oil' is green near the top of the photo because it is really vegetation in the marsh.

I am not denying that the spill is an environmental catastrophe, just saying that I don't believe these photos are of the oil slick.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
This spill is a real wake-up call. The oil crisis is creeping up on people in ways that are starting to feel more and more apocalyptic. Mining the tar sands and drilling in rediculous underwater places are two examples of how human beings can get accustomed to and normalize the most bizarre circumstances.

Support your local alternative energy initiatives . . . even if your elected representatives won't.

"two examples of how human beings can get accustomed to and normalize the most bizarre circumstances." Indeed. I repeat this and shake my head sadly.

We look at the theory of how the Easter Islanders used up their land's resources and we think "primitive fools", "at least we know better".

Instead of heeding warnings from past leaders (Jimmy Carter, ex), conservation and Green Technology was deliberately set aside (by more recent leaders) in favor of an oil based economy.

Conservation and different energy technology was ridiculed and made to seem bizarre, for sissified hippies, not sexy like oil, or manly as raping the Earth, or going to war over resources.

America will decline, not from lack of prayer in public schools, or over taxation, or not hanging the 10 Commandments in a courtroom, or abortions, or gay marriage. As Americans quibbled over these issues, urged on by political corporate sympathizers, other nations saw fit to solve their dependency on oil for their energy needs.

Rather than steering citizens into the light, political corporate sympathizers have kept the US in the darkness of a primitive energy economy.

America will decline not over social issues, but be surpassed by other countries (China, India, etal) that were willing to invest in research, development, and production of 21st energy sources/products. Primitive fools.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
April 20th ‘s fatal blast in the Gulf of Mexico happened under a sky that featured Saturn (business as usual) exactly opposed to Uranus (explosions), which is moving into position with Pluto (hidden power) for their long-running square. Ceres, the asteroid of the Earth Mother, conjoined Pluto, the despoiler, in the sign Capricorn (corporations) within a degree.

The fact that this was no ordinary oil spill became clear right away as the disaster moved through several quick meaning changes in the public mind: from that of an accident brought on by the failure of a mechanical device, to that of an example of how government fails to regulate oil companies, to that of an entire system where corporate interests are allowed to commit travesties against Nature.

The rig explosion coincided with the entry of Chiron (wounding) into Pisces (oceans) that very day. Horrified TV viewers saw aerial photographs of the blue sea turning into a conflagration of toxic crude. According to a report cited by Al Gore, the sheer size of the befoulment amounts to an Exxon Valdez every four days. The mind reels. The heart recoils.

The negligence leading up to the accident appears to be so gross that one might expect the company in charge to be out of business in a New York minute … if that company were any other than Halliburton. But that’s whose careless work cementing the oil well is being blamed — by BP America (talk about the pot calling the kettle black) — for the disaster.

The rogues’ gallery on display during this latest phase of the Saturn-square-Pluto period include Big Oil and Dick Cheney’s Halliburton, who stand accused of environmental desecration; and, at the hearings in Washington, the Goldman Sachs boys, who stand accused of gaming the financial crisis for personal gain like weekend gamblers on a tear. Like all archetypal figures, these characters are a reflection of the group mind. They mirror back to us the toxic greed of the capitalist world.

At first the media tried to make hay out of the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe. The infotainment industry is, like our Wall Street gamblers, amoral. Their job is to focus on what viewers enjoy, and box office numbers tell them that the public enjoys fireballs. So the first response of the news programs was to milk the calamity for its sensationalist appeal. But the media bites its tongue when the dirty secrets percolate to the top. Such as the evidence unearthed by astrologer Eric Francis showing that the spill occurred in a marine dump area (Pluto governs dumps and garbage): a body of water whose secreted depths hid unexploded bombs and torpedoes.

deep-water

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Yes, a little perspective is needed. Did you know that on average there are 600 incidents of tarballs washing up on Florida beaches?

Some are from ships illegally dumping bilge water, but most are from naturally occurring oil leaks unrelated to drilling.

Sure, BP needs to fix their problem and compensate those who have expenses as a result of this.

The Federal Government did not follow (or properly fund) its own disaster plans.

The EPA has been questioning the use of oil dispersant chemicals, rather than helping, they are hindering mitigation efforts.

The EPA has been dithering on waivers to EPA rules requested by Governor Jindal to mitigate the damage, worrying out the environmental impact of putting sand in the water to protect other areas.

I hope the next Congress de-funds the EPA.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
My son just returned from a vacation in the Florida Keys. He said tar balls were already there. Does anyone really believe it isn't connected?

I am slowly beginning to feel that this is another 911. When 911 happened, I knew change would come immediately. With this one, the media has been covering it up, all for the sake of BHO. I understand he is heading out for another vacation. At least there won't be any tar balls in Chicago.

Our lives are changing again. I was in St. Petersburg, Fl in April. Will it be the same paradise next week?

Who gains from this disaster? Is this 2012 a little early?

This is beginning to make the Valdez look like small potatoes.....

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I'm surely out of topic, but post it here because the picture came from this environnemental debate.. but something (other than oil leak) catch my sight, I have make a quick (cheap) zooming about it.. I'm just curious.. what it is? a structure?

It's from the first pic of the actual topic:

The Original: sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net...

My area of interrest: i900.photobucket.com...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mweiss

Sad

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sam Vimes
All of us, and I mean ALL of us are dependent on oil. You drill for oil and accidents happen. You transport oil and accidents happen.

PRECISELY why the G*^%&^%&^D F*&^heads who think of themselves as the Global Elite need to stop blocking free energy technologies. Their grandchildren have to live on this planet too!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Loken68

You may be right, but reading many of the other threads, some other issues have come up, that may explain the apparent differences in approach, between Bush and the tanker and Obama and this deep sea gusher. I'll try to recollect a few:

1. The extreme depth/water pressure, massively powerful oil and gas flow pressures, and chemical instabilities (methane/gas hydrates) create a massively more challenging environment to attempt to stop the leak in.

2. Somewhere there was a great post which hypothesised that due to the depth, the figures released by BP may be for the compressed liquids/gases volumes released, which once up at sea level would expand massively, grossly increasing their volume and the posters revised figures were astronomical, way above the Exon tanker.

3. Other scientific reports have advised the slick/output so far recorded/released as images of a surface slick may be massively misleading, as they found evidence days ago of massively greater quantities of pollutants in different physical states (colder and more solid, emulsified with water...) at lower depths, the surface slick may be just the tip of the iceberg? I don't think this happened with the tanker spills because the oil presumably didn't get down to the depths this one jets out at (3.6km depth wasn't it?)

There's a great post about gas hydrates that has just popped up, that whole volatile methane gas issue again massively complicates matters down there compared to the tanker situation. I'm not sure it's fair to compare the two events?

[edit on 26-5-2010 by curioustype]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lynch
I'm surely out of topic, but post it here because the picture came from this environnemental debate.. but something (other than oil leak) catch my sight, I have make a quick (cheap) zooming about it.. I'm just curious.. what it is? a structure?

It's from the first pic of the actual topic:

The Original: sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net...

My area of interrest: i900.photobucket.com...
I would say that it does look like a structure.
It is probably a building of some sort or another.
That certainly fits in with the theory that this is a photo of land.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
This is amazing, it's going to kill everything in the golf and possibly the US Eastern Seaboard. More than likely cause a massive evacuation. This is happened before, just not as bad. It also lasted 9 MONTHS then.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
reply to post by nite owl

I live by the Gulf in FL (Clearwater). This will be strange to follow over the summer. A sheen of oil prevents evaporation, which heats up the water. A hot Gulf means huge hurricanes, but will they be all wind and surge (terrible surge), but little rain due to lack of evaporation? Also, Gulf coastal property values are going to plummet and people are already canceling visits, leading to a regional crash in the economies.

This is a catastrophe of highest order and no one knows where it will end or how.

Hurricanes will help to clean it, but then it is hard to determine what effect, if any, this will have.

As an aside, from what i read the Gulf oil spill in 1979 may have been worse than this one. And oil naturally leaks\seeps into the ocean. Not sure how much though.

Many marine organism are incredibly resilient and can actually survive in water that is pretty bad as long as the temperature is in a certain boundary and salinity.

At least some positive ways to look at this.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Malcher]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Malcher

If anyone could direct me to specific information as to how a hurricane would clean the oil from the water, I want to know. If I shake up my bottle of vinaigrette, for a few seconds the oil and liquid "combine" but then quickly separate out again.

And if a hurricane is seen as one gigantic toilet flush, then through what plumbing and to where does the dirty water go? And what of a tidal surge bringing the oily water further inland?

There is no good side to this disaster. Humans cannot keep crapping all over their living space expecting it to just go away!

We arrest people for keeping an unsanitary house littered with the filth from too many small animals. Who will arrest the people responsible for spoiling the water and coastline?

I grew up in Southern California and spent every summer playing on beaches where, yes, a natural tarry/oily substance would wash ashore. A tiny bit, but enough to get a spot or two on one's foot, between one's toes, and it was difficult to wash off (soap and water wouldn't do it, only a solvent).

What the people, land and animals of the Gulf are going through, will go through, brings me to tears.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Umm, I have a question. If those photos are of the gulf then why is there a run way out in the middle of the oil spill in the first photo. If you blow it up the thing just below the wing is a runway.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcher
Hurricanes will help to clean it, but then it is hard to determine what effect, if any, this will have.

How could a hurricane ever help clean it? If anything, I would think it would help make it far worse.

Imagine an oil filled hurricane making land fall.....the thought is horrifying.

The only thing a hurricane or any storm for that matter would do is spread the oil.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I wish Google Earth would post a live feed of the extent of the oil spill from space, to show everyone the truth of what's going on and to shut up BP.

If they had a live feed of that magnitude available open source on the web, all the denials in the world from BP would amount to squat.

It would be a great public service for the world from Google.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I think this is the latest image of the gulf ...

image3.examiner.com...

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
We're all going to die.

Probably not, but still...in a slim chance, it could happen. I mean, what if someone were to light a match down there and drop it in the water? Isn't oil highly flammable? What happens when the gulf of Mexico is blazing, the fire spreads, and starts beating off the coast of the U.S. and maybe somehow jumps on land and creates insane fires in the brush down South? I don't know, I probably just thought about it too much. Half the stuff I said might not even be possible in any form but still...it's something to think about.

Plus, I read an article somewhere that someone is trying to prep the worlds younger population (gamers, to be precise) for disaster/Armageddon scenarios. With games like Fallout 3, Dead Space, and a few others that came out in a relatively short period of time it almost seems that way. Just for the record, when you play Fallout 3 for hours on end, by yourself, in a quiet place...It's kind of shocking. I mean, you literally walk around a wasteland by yourself. Everything is basically destroyed. It's almost scary.

Ok, enough of me rambling about possible non-relative subjects.

And can someone tell me what Obama is doing about this again? Apparently BP really sucks at what they do, or are supposed to be doing, so who does the problem get handed to then. I wish they would all stop playing hot potato and figure something out.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by mweiss
These photos are from a guy on the Boycott BP group on facebook. I was deeply shaken when I viewed the first one. I don't think we will ever know the true extent of the damage. The guy from facebook said his flight was from Key West to Phoenix.

1st photo: sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net...
2nd photo: sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net...
This photo was also uploaded on facebook, it's a dead dolphin: www.facebook.com...#!/photo.php?op=1&view=all&sub j=119101198107726&aid=-1&pid=4717477&id=516146226&oid=119101198107726&fbid=395496121226

This is my first post and I have to say that I think the first posted picture is the marsh lands of Louisana, I have flown over them many times, the light is not very good and such a picture can send wrong impressions to people that have never flown over these areas.
Exactly why, BP would be protective of what people are doing in the area.

I am in no way defending BP, I think this is an absolute mess and it has my deepest concern, I just hate to see people mislead

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join