It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maryland Citizens Face Felony Charges for Recording Cops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Maryland Citizens Face Felony Charges for Recording Cops

www.infowars.com

In Maryland, it is a felony to record thuggish cops as they push around skateboarding teenagers, beat sports patrons, and pull guns on motorists for speeding.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
It is my understanding that it is illegal to record a private conversation between two people without the consent of both parties. This is the first time I have seen a police department use that law to whitewash misconduct by its officers. According to Maryland's attorney general it is legal for cops to videotape citizens with dashcams but illegal for citizens to do the same....Hmm ,How convenient. Can you say police state? And what's scary is we are all starting to accept it.

www.infowars.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-5-2010 by L.HAMILTON]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I can't believe their trying to make it illegal to videotape cops in maryland, .... if they werent doing anything wrong they wouldn't care if they were getting videotaped or not.

The law which their trying to use to prohibit taping has to do with phone conversations I believe, ..... but these scum who go by cops are just manipulating and twisting it untill it becomes what they need to serve their purpose.

I never met a cop so angry for being called dude. I would hate to be his son, or wife, ..... but then again, he probably doesnt have one.

This guy probably goes home at night, sets up his punching bag, throws ons ome gloves, .... and then proceeds to beat his punching bag with his baton and a baseball bat, .... before shooting it in self defense.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Screw that noise, I'm a resident of Maryland and there are freaking cameras EVERYWHERE in town here. A police officer isn't some sort of superhuman, isn't some sort of god. They are everyday people just like myself. If they think this will stop them from being recorded, they have a rude awakening coming. Also, any police officer that tries to act better than someone else around here gets theirs, people in my town don't let police walk on them. they aren't any different than anyone else.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Anyone remember Madalyn_Murray_O'Hair? She was more or less harrassed by the Baltimore cops in the 1960's and the local communities for her seperation of church and state supreme court ruling involving her son William J Murray... Robert Anton Wilson wrote extensively about her in his LOOK magazine article that came out at that time, he coined the term "most hated woman in america" that LIFE magazine later ripped from him uncredited to him. Back then in order to testify or file a lawsui or serve on a jury one had to beleive in Christianity, this was the only state in th country that had this policy at that time, all other states had long since abolished a religious qualification to testify or serve on a jury, so no this does not surprise me that the cops would not want you to video record them, imagine if she had a camera back then when they said she took on 8 police officers and was charged with assault and battery....oh I almost forgot, they even tried her in absentia! By the way I don't entirely agree with her opinions but I support her right to defend herself from persecution, she later fled to Hawaii and Baltimore was rid of it's Atheist

[edit on 23-5-2010 by bubbabuddha]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
It completely baffles me those on this site who not only willingly protect officers no matter what but those who do so when the officers are clearly, through utterly empirical means, guilty of misconduct and abuse.

We're facing an epidemic that we the public have allowed to manifest because we choose to be complacent in law enforcements abilities to circumvent around our rights. They are TRAINED to do this. They are trained to say certain things and to make certain suggestions that COMPLETELY circumvent pretty much any form of right you can think of with any identifier in front of it; legal rights? Check. Constitutional rights? Check. Natural rights? Check. Human rights? Check. Law enforcement across the country on all levels has worked to circumvent the law, and yet people want to defend their ability to do so because they "protect us"? Even though there is legal precedent that says law enforcement has no duty to actually protect us? Is there something in some water supplies I don't know about and if so, can I get some? It sounds like some potent stuff.

And no, don't take this as a cop hating post. I don't hate cops. I hate corrupt cops who don't actually protect and serve the people. There are good cops out there, although every day the ratio of good cops verse bad cops tends to change in the favor of bad cops.

Really though, what the hell is going on with people who not only act complacent towards these actions but support, defend and rationalize these actions? Are law enforcement officers all of the sudden above us in class structure, in which any and all actions they commit are holy and just? Really, I want a cop, or someone who blindly defends them, to justify this sort of nonsense.

We're supposed to believe these individuals are merely those of us who choose to take on a burden to protect us...yet it seems there isn't much of a burden in the end. Law enforcement has become nothing more than an organized crime syndicate who have been granted the blessings from our government. In fact, the government has a hand in it when certain individuals within that government are in back room deals with private prison contractors, setting up new quotas for the local beat cops to fulfill.

Who the hell is accountable here? People in law enforcement are afraid to blow the whistle out of fear of reprisal from their colleagues, the government is perpetuating the matter as well as escalating it, and now society in masse can't do anything about it out of fear of being arrested for doing something about it!

Honestly, it just reminds me of some KRS-One lyrics

Open up your eye
While you're checking out the boom-bap, check the exercise
Take the word "overseer," like a sample
Repeat it very quickly in a crew for example
Overseer
Overseer
Overseer
Overseer
Officer, Officer, Officer, Officer!
Yeah, officer from overseer
You need a little clarity?
Check the similarity!
The overseer rode around the plantation
The officer is off patroling all the nation
The overseer could stop you what you're doing
The officer will pull you over just when he's pursuing
The overseer had the right to get ill
And if you fought back, the overseer had the right to kill
The officer has the right to arrest
And if you fight back they put a hole in your chest!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

I agree this kid was just talking his regular street talk and meant no disrespect to the officer. This video got under my skin... things have gotten out of hand folks.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

UGH Filth like this SOB makes me sick. I wish some mall cop rent-a-bacon would try saying something like that to me once, nothing quite says stfu like 500 thousand volts.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst
I can't believe their trying to make it illegal to videotape cops in maryland, .... if they werent doing anything wrong they wouldn't care if they were getting videotaped or not.

That's just it... they are doing things that are unacceptable and it would just be easier for these criminals to be able to get away with misconduct then to pay out money for lawsuits or to be attacked for their actions.

If there is no proof that a police officer committed a crime then it's their world against yours.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I was always under the impression there is no expectation of privacy in public.. and dude had an obviously noticeable camera literally protruding from the top of his helmet... a few case laws cited at the link below fyi..

That police dash cams are ok, apparently.. is exactly why I urge everyone here to gleefully attend JURY DUTY so you can vote "not guilty" and F the man on cases like this..

"Courts rarely find that there is objectively reasonable expectation of privacy in public, no matter how seemingly private the public space may seem to the plaintiff."

www.workrights.org...

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Yea, he is in trouble!

www.youtube.com...

Suspended and under internal affairs investigation!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I find it hard that a court, or appellant court would uphold the notion that a "private" conversation is being held in the middle of a crowd or group of people with both the police and other subject(s) speaking loud enough to be overheard by others.
Especially when we can hear an open conversation in the middle of traffic where others could plainly hear.
The same with the beating after the basketball game.

This is a blatant attempt to try to cover up wrongful behavior by police and other state officials.

With this line of reasoning it would seem that a lot of events that are covered and broadcast on the news would be in violation of this statute.

When multiple police slam a bystander against a wall in front of a crowd of others, there is hardly a reasonable expectation of privacy.

[edit on 23-5-2010 by webpirate]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

It only requires the consent of one party, not both.

Another way to turn it around on the cops: "the plain view doctrine".

[edit on 24-5-2010 by zzombie]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Are security cameras OK in Maryland? Most people going about their daily business in shops, malls, and gas stations have not given consent to be recorded. Does that not fall under the same restrictions?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Outrageous.

Time to lay the law down to these uniformed, criminal outlaws.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
If it is a felony by Maryland law to record conversations without consent ,

Then why aren't they prosecuting the NSA which is illegally recording & datamining every single phone & cell conversation in all of Maryland?

I guess the Maryland attorney general is just too much of a lightweight,

no cahones.

new topics

top topics

join