It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cool Submarine concepts: Maritime Underwater Future Capability (MUFC)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Previously known as the Future Attack Submarine, the project was renamed the Maritime Underwater Future Capability in early 2001. Instead of considering what submarine will fill the gap after Astute, the Royal Navy is going back to first principles of defining required capabilities. A suite of UUVs [unmanned underwater vehicles] will provide a considerable portion of capability needs. Manned submarines are expected to be used for command and transport roles rather than fighting sea battles. These include robot drones to detect and destroy mines; unmanned intelligence-gathering underwater vehicles; and remote-controlled underwater missile and torpedo platforms. The weapons could be dropped into operations by aircraft or warships.

Sensor Arrays -
Ultra-Sophisticated all-round sonar coverage achieved through platypus bow sonar and after fin arrays

Directional Waterjet Propulsion Pods -
Ultra-Quiet directable podded water jet propulsion units rotate at the root to provide vectored directional thrust and unparalleled high/low speed manoeuvrability in conjunction with single lower rudder for stability and steering.

Sources

Global Security
Naval Matter

If this is what the Brits are looking into one wonders what works the US is into probably something to do with super-cavitation.

Has anyone got any further information on this or similar projects?

Thanks

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   

uhh this is real right?
this aint a mock up?
it reminds me of sea quest.
nice find

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
yeah some of the stuff they are exploring for the 2040+ years look real fantastic, makes me kinda wish i'd been born 20 years from now instead of 20 years ago lol

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

uhh this is real right?
this aint a mock up?
it reminds me of sea quest.
nice find

The pics are produced by BAe in 2001 as their concept drawing for the project (see the articles)

They were concepts for a project timescaled for around 2018

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Some more news on MUFC it seems to been expanded into a multi-purpose vehicle that will take over both SBNN and hunter killer roles. To come into service around 2020.

Future Nuclear Deterrence

[edit on 9-6-2004 by Popeye]

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
i think all people who love state of the art submarines should check this film out.

[edit on 12-6-2004 by wararts]

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Wont it be hard for it to surface with such a flat nose?

new topics

top topics

join