It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberals and Conservatives: Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I was talking about this with a friend the other night. Is it my imagination that people who define themselves as "Liberals" and "Conservatives" are slowly beginning to come together? It seems to me that after several years of dramatic arguing both sides are tired out and realize bickering amongst each other is accomplishing nothing. It seems the vast majority of people feel this country is falling from grace and the vast majority of people are not sastified with the government. It seems to me that our country is swinging in a direction where instead of the 50/50 splits we're used to seeing, we're seeing huge blocks on a issue. For instance HCR, Illegal Immigration, Ending the Drug War, Ending the Middle Eastern conflict. Then the government doing the exact opposite and then trying to avoid the subject as much as possible.

I honestly believe that the Left/Right construct is a device used to villify an opposing view and disenfranchising those who buy the ticket. This kind of militant view seemed to arrive somewhere in the late 80s/early 90s (I think around the beginning of Clinton's first term) and has been growing ever since. However I notice now that both sides are generally saying the same things with different words. I think we're coming to a point where our issues are getting so big, that most people's common sense is kicking in. I also notice that the bilge of propaganda that's been spewed on Americans since 2001 is slowly starting to not work now. Amazingly when I talk to people now, most people know about government or American issues that aren't getting a lot of play in the MSM. I think both sides also acknowledge they've had a failure President from their side. Granted both side has a loony 5% (maybe 10% thanks to welfare and pharma industry) in their demographic that no matter what is going to be crazy. But I think the majority of Americans can get on the same page about things. I also think it's stupid to be battling over 18th and 19th century political ideologies when we should be constructing a 21st century political ideology.

The one thing I believe in is the spirit of Americans. We were founded to be the answer to corruption and the way to lift people out of mental slavery to have all achieve their maximum potential. The light right now may be dim but I believe it's in our darkest time that America is at it's best. Despite the left/right constructs, at the end of the day we're Americans. Despite the government we've created being completely out of control and threatening our identity, we shall persevere.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by PatesHatriots]

new topics

join