It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea on alert as tension grows

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...
South Korea on alert as tension grows over patrol boat sinking

South Korea and the US may raise their state of readiness against the military threat posed by North Korea to the second-highest level in response to the sinking of the patrol vessel Cheonan.

Level one, the most serious condition of the five-level scale known as WatchCon, has not been in force since the end of the Korean war in 1953. Level two was last reached when North Korea conducted a nuclear test in 2009.

The deliberations come as South Korea's president, Lee Myung-bak, is expected to refer the sinking in March of the Cheonan to the UN security council.

A raising of the WatchCon level would trigger increased US-South Korean reconnaissance and intelligence-gathering efforts targeting the north. Also under consideration is an additional joint US-South Korean military exercise, perhaps as early as June, to signal to North Korea Washington's support for Seoul.

oh boy o boy o boy... everyone thought it was in the middle east where world war three would break out, perhaps it is in Korea where it will begin.. curious timing for an exercise too eh, in a way it coincides with with the 24 expert thread/article and the expected demise of the world economy starting around july... perhaps this is all one big orchestrated event? also on my mind is the reserves being called up all over the US.. hmmmm

[edit on 22-5-2010 by TheCoffinman]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
North Korea ripped up the cease-fire armistice agreement on Friday that was put in place after the Korean war.

Plenty of talk in UK newspapers about the Euro collapsing all European economies, and that will definitely collapse the dollar. Perhaps the Korean crisis (engineered?) will be used as a distraction, and as evidence that the other members of the axis of evil - Syria and Iran, are also as dangerous as N.Korea.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I seriously don't know what to think anymore. First all the indications are tensions are rising in the middle east, then things start to ratchet up in Korea, it's been bouncing back and forth like a tennis ball and it's giving me a headache. Then again, most news these days is enough to give somebody a headache!!!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Things are pretty dire in North Korea. Not long ago they re-evaluated their currency, which pretty much wiped out everyone's savings and capital, except, of course, for the senior party members who live like kings. Everyone else lives in the worst kind of squalor, barely surviving.

With Jong-Ill's poor health and probably imminent death, there will soon be a change in leadership to his son, and I suspect that there will be an insurrection at that time, probably a coup by high ranking party members or generals. Im sure the people there are itching for any chance to rebel.

So, when a regime faces severe domestic challenges the time tested solution is "Go To War." The immediate and most logical enemy in this case is South Korea. It is not unreasonable to anticipate a pre-emptive attack by North Korea--as a last ditch effort by their criminally insane leader to make a name for himself, and preserve his dynasty through his son. I could even see it being a pre-emptive nuclear attack.

The guy in charge is just that insane. He has zero regard for the lives of North Korean people. Its all about himself, and if he believes that his regime is going to go down, then he will try to take everyone else down with him.

Hitler expressed a similar sentiment, when it was clear that he was going to lose the war. He wanted the rest of the German people to go down with him--because they had "failed" him.

I doubt that US intelligence has any decent assets within the country, but I suspect that China does. And a nuclear attack by North Korea upon South Korea is the last thing China wants or needs at this point. So the Chinese may try to get rid of this guy by either assassinating him (very hard to do, the guy is even more paranoid than Sadam), or by supporting certain Generals in an attempted coup. If the Chinese get credible intelligence that this guy is going to war, they will try to take him out by whatever means they can. Thats why the US says its not in their court. Its in the Chinese court.

If they fail, all hell could break loose in that part of the world, and because South Korea is intimately linked with many of the Asian economies, it could send another economic shock wave around the world. How many more such shock waves can our tenuous economic world system endure before it collapses? Not many I suspect.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by Angiras]

[edit on 22-5-2010 by Angiras]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

North Korea can rip up the Armistice agreement if they want, it's their problem if they want to go to war...

All they have to do is attack South Korea and it's on.

I personally think they are too cowardly to stage an upfront face to face attack, i'd be really surprised if they did something without trying to get away with it, with out clear evidence of their involvement, like they thought they did with the attack and sinking of that South Korean ship in March.

I think they were actually surprised that they got caught...

I was really impressed with the way Russia went ahead and invaded Georgia a year ago.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
It seems like the global economy is on its last legs and there is very little the elites can now do to patch it over and convince people it's all fine. So maybe this is their last card that they will play, all out war. How convenient that N korea just so happens to torpedo a S korean ship. And the fact that the north or denying it is very suspiscious as they always like to get one up on someone and then boast about it. The whole thing stinks of false flag to me. Then there's this secret banking meeting in sweden headed by the rothschilds which has just happened. Somethings going on.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Why is everyone so intent on world war 3 happening? Why is everyone fantastising about the use of nukes? If this is what the human collective wants then it is what will happen.

Think about that.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
Why is everyone so intent on world war 3 happening? Why is everyone fantastising about the use of nukes? If this is what the human collective wants then it is what will happen.

Think about that.

People on this site have been saying Iran was going to be attacked since 2003. Every time there was a slight disturbance that was it. That would be the time of war. I think North Korea attacking the south let alone with a nuclear weapon to preserve the political regime is ridiculous. As even Kim Jong Il knows the whole international community would crush North Korea if they dared do either of the two. Idk, I am not worried.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
In maybe a few years from now, after north korea is attacked or forced to attack, after thousands maybe millions of people are dead, someone will come out and debunk the torpedo incident, it will turn out to be a flase flag just like 9/11 but you all are too blind to see it.

north korea said they did not do it, usually they boast about things like that.

wake up people, theres government sh*t on you're faces and you cant see whats happening

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
people think ww3 is on its way because the global economy is about to collapse, just a matter of timing, and the best way to quell the very likely civil unrest that many western nations will face is to go to war.. well who are you going to war with and why? iran and north korea because they are supposedly trying to get nukes or have nukes and well everyone fears crazies with nukes so they are the perfect outcasts to go to war with. ww3 doesnt even have to involve nukes, personally i think majority of it wont, i think itd be alot like ww2 in that nukes would only be used as a last resort toward the end to put the period in the history books. i know people are tired about hearing for years now that north korea and iran are about to attack so and so and it hasnt happened yet. a common misconception to let ones gaurd down, its not a matter of if, its a matter of when.. time. time gives the illusion of peace. when in reality every minute of everyday people are planning for war, making war and the economy continues to get closer and closer to the black hole. i fear that 2010 is the beggining of a decade of human upheavel that the world has never seen.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I guess this is what JakiusFogg was talking about in his post, something great is about to happen, he can feel it!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Nothing to see here. Politics as usual.

Every few months there is a new reason World War 3 will break out, and it never happens.

No country is going to put themselves on the line against the UN. They are just too big of a force to deal with.

[edit on 23-5-2010 by Takamuri]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
North Korea sunk a ship! Quick, send in the Americans!

Whatever. I personally don't see it happening, but then again, we're already waging a two-front war. What's another? How about a Blitzkrieg on Iran while we're at it.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Takamuri

The UN doesnt have a military force did u mean nato?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Takamuri

Every few months there is a new reason World War 3 will break out, and it never happens.

Not every reason should be taken seriously. It's only your only fault for being gullible enough to believe in the less credible scenarios.

No country is going to put themselves on the line against the UN. They are just too big of a force to deal with.

If the UN building collapsed, nothing would change. The UN cannot even control it's own general assembly meetings, when crackpot dictators turn up and rant for an hour over their allocated times. The "all powerful" UN cannot even prevent US & Israeli diplomats from walking out during these crackpots' speeches.

UN sanctions can be vetoed by China, which gives N.Korea an opportunity.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The US war machine will not engage (NK) unless it absolutely has to...
North Korea doesn't have any oil, nor any other resources that would be a benefit to the global elite!

And Kim Jong Il knows it! This is how he can develop long range ballistic missiles and atomic weaponry with nothing more that harsh language to discourage his efforts.

Its going to take much more provocation by the North before any significant military action becomes nessesary...

My point is that even tho this regime is a major security concern for the United States, theres no money in it, so most likely nothing is going to happen!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Angiras

I'll mourn the loss of our capitalist system with crocodile tears. It's like heroin, we all could use some good detox. Sure, it'll suck for those of us in the developed world, the "developing" and "underdeveloped" (read as "in the process of being capitalized" and "undercapitalized" and/or "unwilling to capitalize") will be alright insofar as their situations suck for the most part anyway.

I don't like to see people hurt or suffer. But, what goes around comes around.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Time and time again, I see people claiming that the sinking of the S. Korean gunboat is a false flag. That's not my problem, necessarily, but it seems that EVERYTHING reported here on ATS is dismissed as a false flag operation. Seriously, there doesn't seem to be anything at all going on in the world that isn't orchistrated well ahead of time by some shadowy group that nobody knows very much about.

BP oil spill? Clearly, sir, a false flag.
Unrest in Thailand - that, ladies and gentlemen, is a false flag.
That crash in Russia where the Polish president was killed? F'n false flag, right there.
Group of right wing crazies who want to kill Obama? False flag.

The list is literally endless.

Something you'll learn fairly quickly is that here on ATS, there are no REAL flags, only false ones.

Sometimes, you know, you need to take things at face value. This wouldn't have been the first time that N Korea has given a big ol' FU to the world by attacking the South. They're led by a genuinely crazy person, who genuinely believes that on the day he was born, a new star appeared in the night sky. Crazy people, from time to time, have been known to do crazy things.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Niccawhois

And Kim Jong Il knows it! This is how he can develop long range ballistic missiles and atomic weaponry with nothing more that harsh language to discourage his efforts.

Well, there has been sanctions... But yeah, I get it.

This makes no sense... NK OPENLY tests Nuclear Weapons and threatened Americans ally directly and nothing is done.

scurrreeedd.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Check out my thread..it might interest you all
Thread

And yes I think War will break out in Korea before Middle East

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join