It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Potato Chips cancerous?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Do potato chips contain a lot/any carcinogens like how coca cola/carbonated do?

...? Any response addressing this issue will be great

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

yep..

circulartimes.org...

Normal fat molecules travel through the walls of the digestive system into the bloodstream and bring along nutrients in the area such as vitamin A, D, E, and K. Olestra molecules are too big (no one has mentioned foreign) to make this passage, so they flush right through the system, taking with them the essential vitamins A, D ,E, and K, which are in the system at the time. However, in their infinite wisdom, the FDA told Proctor and Gamble to add A, D, E, and K to their products to compensate for this loss. Excuse me---- but, didn’t the FDA say that these vitamins cannot be absorbed because the Olestra molecule sucks them up and takes them out?

Well, that's not all you can look forward to. Olestra also reduces the body’s ability to absorb certain forms of carotenoids. (The nutrients contained in carrots, sweet potatoes and green leafy vegetables.) The FDA claims there is not enough understanding of the role of carotenoids in the human body, so they have decided to ignore the problem. Eat your salad, have some potato chips, and your body’s nutrition comes out in the minus. The minus is because you can also suffer side effects such as abdominal cramping and diarrhea. Not to worry, our FDA said these side effects are not life threatening. Really? What about the children who consume products containing Olestra? (Products are tested and geared to thirty year old males. Recently, they were supposed to add women, not children.)

[edit on 22-5-2010 by baddmove]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
The old Ruffles caused anal leakage but aside from that, I am not sure.

2nd line

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove

yep..

circulartimes.org...

Normal fat molecules travel through the walls of the digestive system into the bloodstream and bring along nutrients in the area such as vitamin A, D, E, and K. Olestra molecules are too big (no one has mentioned foreign) to make this passage, so they flush right through the system, taking with them the essential vitamins A, D ,E, and K, which are in the system at the time. However, in their infinite wisdom, the FDA told Proctor and Gamble to add A, D, E, and K to their products to compensate for this loss. Excuse me---- but, didn’t the FDA say that these vitamins cannot be absorbed because the Olestra molecule sucks them up and takes them out?

Well, that's not all you can look forward to. Olestra also reduces the body’s ability to absorb certain forms of carotenoids. (The nutrients contained in carrots, sweet potatoes and green leafy vegetables.) The FDA claims there is not enough understanding of the role of carotenoids in the human body, so they have decided to ignore the problem. Eat your salad, have some potato chips, and your body’s nutrition comes out in the minus. The minus is because you can also suffer side effects such as abdominal cramping and diarrhea. Not to worry, our FDA said these side effects are not life threatening. Really? What about the children who consume products containing Olestra? (Products are tested and geared to thirty year old males. Recently, they were supposed to add women, not children.)

[edit on 22-5-2010 by baddmove]

I hear ya. But I think Olestra is only used in the "fat free" varieties of potato chip products. If you get the full flavor variety, I think all you need to worry about is trans fats. But many products have removed those from their ingredients and usually this is boldly advertised in plain sight on the product.

Overall I can't think of anything particularly bad in potato chips. The salt is almost always refined NaCl, which is very unhealthy compared to sea salt which contains dozens and in some cases hundreds of essential nutrients.

Potatoes aren't genetically modified, like corn and soy products. 85% of all corn and 92% of all soy products are GMO, so absolutely stay away from those. (a near-impossible feat, considering they are in the VAST majority of processed foods.)

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Thank You for the information. Just wondering wouldn't it take years or cancer to happen? By eating unhealthy food? It is not like getting zapped by large amounts of radiation if you know what i mean?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I know for fact that only Tostitoes Organic brand are non-GMO as produced by Frito-Lay. I just avoid the whole lot of it at this point. Who knows what they'll do to them in a month or two.

There's nanotech in heaps of corporations these days too, and the FDA is clueless as to labelling it, even if they wanted to. (MC Douglass, April 14th Daily Dose). Shopping is now a lab rat experience. Shop organic only, avoid Mexican produce, and be wary of local produce in highly polluted areas - see if anyone in your area has done ar particulate tests for aluminum, magnesium, etc. You might want to target areas that have low pollution. Say, this is worth a thread!

Barium is a different animal. There is radioactive barium on imported brazil nuts for starters, and who knows what else. It is speculated that the government has released barium in the atmosphere to Protect us from this, since if we are saturated with NR Barium, we can't absorb the killer variety.

Despite on-going world concerns, our food is our own responsibility, and is something we can be very smart about now. Doing so may not only save us from future illness, but it also means we will not feed the machine. It is absolutely surprising to me to see that some locals are not that angry when I tell them about the dangers, and explain that supermarkets are making us pay for poison - at inflated prices! What are we paying for? Their expensive nanotech they tamper it with? God will repay.

Edit - My link "broke" the thread. Google this title :
Concentrations of selenium, barium, and radium in Brazil nuts

[edit on 22-5-2010 by Northwarden]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Ontario eh where you from down there? (Just wondering)

On topic, supposedly Olestra is not in chips anymore (lays and humpty dumpy at least)? Is this true?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
THe potatoes used in the leading snack "chip" are genetically modified to have very thin skin so that no actual meat of the potato gets lost Instead of a machine that slices off the skin they now a have a machine that gently scrubs off the potato skin "ive seen it with my own eyes and the machine in the factory". You can rub off the skin of a potato with your thumb, ive done it. They have pattens on these potatoes.

So for #1 you are eating a genetically modified potato or at least a selectively bread one.

After the scrubbing its is either baked or fried. Nearly all the starch is removed during this very high temp backing process and is actually sold for commercial or cooking use. The Leading snack chip makers now use 100% sunflower seed oil to make the chips.

So #2 would be the benefits or downfalls of sunflower oil. Ive been told coconut oil and peanut oil are the safest...... maybe im wrong.

The flavoring should be inconsequential as its a small amount and main ingredients are mostly salt with dashes of ______ insert flavor.

It could be said you could dodge the side effects of fried food by eating the baked but that would still leave the genetically modified potato.

Now the corn or maze part. I would have to another tour of their facilities and ask more questions next time. Chances are they are genetically modified to lesson the cost off machination as the potatoes are.

My two cents. First hand Knowledge.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

well just a quick look i found this..

Stockholm University researchers claim to have shown that baking or frying carbohydrate-rich foods, such as potatoes and cereals, formed acrylamide, a substance classified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as a "probable human carcinogen."

"I have been in this field for 30 years and I have never seen anything like this before," said Leif Busk, head of research for Sweden's National Food Administration. "The discovery ... is new knowledge. It may now be possible to explain some of the cases of cancer caused by food ... Frying at high temperatures or for a long time should be avoided," Busk added.

Should you chuck your chips and get a haz-mat team to decontaminate your pantry? Should personal injury lawyers fire up the class action lawsuit machine against potato chip makers for addicting us to an allegedly cancer-causing product? ("Lays Potato Chips, betcha can't eat just one!")

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

its all the preservatives in them that are the problem.

there's nothing wrong with potatoes themselves, eaten in moderation.

too much salt is bad for you;

and the oil they are cooked in is likely to be bad for you.

so in short; they are probably bad for you; but that's due to the other stuff in them, not the potatoes.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northwarden
What are we paying for? Their expensive nanotech they tamper it with? God will repay.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by Northwarden]

Your paying for a name. The bag itself is worth more. The nitrogen they shoot into the bags before sealing cost more. Thats not just air that is inflating those bags.

Not to mention the new Sunchip bags are fully compostable within 18 weeks "i think". The capitol that went into that is HUGE. Frito-lay footed the bill for the whole thing. Why? Because they love the environment? They now have a share on the patent so when the carbon credit tax goes through all product will have to buy their patented bags to avoid ridiculous goverment intrusion.

Little off topic but considering its the first time ive seen a topic pertaining to my profession id figure id ramble on and on lol.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SiKFury

Hey Keep rambling on, the more knowledge that gets out there better

What is your profession by the way?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I sell the exact products we are talking about. Through meetings tours and what not ive gleaned information on what i can when i can.

Quick search on sunflower seed oil witch is used in basically all of the fried type chips "major brands only" has high concentrations of vitamin E and is low in trans fat are typically regarded as good.

However its been suggested it may cause in high doses "gluttony
" to lead to breast and prostate cancer.

www.sunflowernsa.com...

A link to sunflower seed oil homepage. Decent information on the benefits and different production types.

www.second-opinions.co.uk...

The bad side of Sunflower seed oil.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
New Research Supports The Link Between Cooking And Carcinogens
www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
thread title sounds like one of those awful local news teasers...

ARE POTATO CHIPS GIVING YOU CANCER???!!...Find out ..news at 11.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Some potato chips have brown spots on them, but I don't think it is cancer I think it is just bad places in the potato. Can't imagine what potato cancer would look like or how it would be caused.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I don't know if potato chips cause cancer but if you eat them all the time along with other junk foods you are just asking for other health issues.

top topics

join