It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Top kill' planned to stop oil leak

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
reply to post by Vitchilo

It doesn't look good does it ?

I wonder when there is disclosure on this.

Probably waiting it gets so bad that the government ``has to nationalize the oil industry`` or ``pass cap and trade``...

Just you watch. One of the two is gonna happen. Maybe even both.

[edit on 23-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Cap & trade has to do with the climate change does it not ?
I thought it did anyway...

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Yes it does... but you know politicians, never wasting a good crisis!

And this is one...

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Well if it happens that would be very alarming .

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by charlie0

Iran's oil industry is not exactly focussed on wells as deep as this one, so doubt they have much unique expertise to bring to the table. Considering Iran has spent quite a bit of its history wantonly polluting the Persian Gulf means that I have a low opinion of their environmental scruples.

Iran’s offer was political. The last thing this situation needs is Iran involved.

Regards

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

As an outsider looking it in, in puzzlment at the pace containment and fix is chugging along.. it's almost as tho *all* sides involved in this are going at a snails pace deliberatly.. and for the life of me I can not work out why..

I hope this fix works.. and will have my fingers crossed..

Because it is "man" vs "man" and not "man" vs "nature":

Obama's Katrina an "Artificial" Natural Disaster?

Unlike the Gulf War were people were casualties, in this one nature is the casualty.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
If this attempt of the subject of this thread does not work at all next week as it is hoped for, then I am of the opinion that instead of the "just one" new drilling attempt that is now being done to hopefully seal this leak which may occur in maybe two months from today ( or who knows when ), then there should be more than "just this one" new drilling attempt being done. For example if there were four new drillings attempts being done now all at the same time for entering the leak to seal it at different entrance elevation depth levels, then if three of these new drilling attempts should fail then the fourth attempt would be a good backup that may not fail. The three months total expected time that is required to wait for a completely new drilling sealing attempt is much too long a period of time to wait for another trial sealing attempt, if a new drilling sealing attempt does not work. Why have "just only one" new drilling attempt, when you could have four or five or six or more new drilling attempts all at the same time and then not have to wait totally any longer than just three months for all of these many new and different attempts combined ?

Another reason that Iran may not have been permitted to help out, is that Iran may report something much different and untruthful about this problem than what the news says. If Iran wants to help out and if Iran has some good ideas of ways to help that are not being tried, then Iran could publish and communicate these ideas in many ways.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by trader21

they are drilling two.

second gosh darn stupid line

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by charlie0
It is the arrogance that destroying the environment. When the President of Iran offered the help, why the arrogance played a part not asking them how they would do it. Even if BP didn't want to go that route they could still use the idea. I guess it depends on the attitude how you look down on other people even if they may have the answer to solve your problems. To me that is arrogance.

Iran knew they were on a win win situation... they couldn't lose!

And i think we can stop calling this disaster 'an oil spill'

A 'spill' is what happens when you are walking with a drink in your hand and a little drop of that drink 'spills' over the edge of the glass or cup.... that is a spill!!

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
How about we take all the BP execs and stuff em all in the hole. I would think that would work.

edit for fat fingers

[edit on 24-5-2010 by drift393]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I would suggest all to take a look ate the replies in this thread. "Worst Oil Accident Anywhere on the Planet"

It offers a little of perspective.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
They are filling this hole, too little, too late.

I posted two weeks ago that they should just fill up the hole and stop trying to extract oil from it.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

As a regular person, I find it tragic and infuriating that I made the call for the obvious (we should FILL IT UP, instead of trying to continue oil extraction) a whole TWO WEEKS before the President of the US. The fact that the Obama Administration has been watching BP flounder for this long personally disgusts me, and I think that it makes grounds for impeachment.

I supported impeachment of Bush for War Crimes, and now I support impeachment of Obama for incompetency and negligence.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

( will likely be tried early next week )

How about likely you TRY it NOW!

not 7 days from now TRY IT NOW!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Thank you "UnitedSatesofFreemasons" for telling me about the two new drilling attempts instead of just one, and your helpful comment "second gosh darn stupid line".

I really don't think that just two new drilling attempts is enough new drilling attempts for the great size of this disaster. What happens if these two new drilling attempts and also the present new trial this week all fail ? Then the only other option is to wait another three months more for another new drilling attempt, and that is after having already waited three months to begin with. Maybe BP should start now with ten new drilling attempts, and add two or three more new drilling attempts every month ( instead of every three months ) until this leak is stopped.

Does anyone know what the true probability of success is of a new deep sea drilling attempt ?

As hurricane season has just arrived, does anyone know how a hurricane hitting the new drilling attempt rig affects the probability of success of a new drilling attempt ?

Does anyone know why BP did not try this week's new attempt thing a month ago ( while people waited a couple of weeks for the other first failing thing to be completed and BP did nothing else to stop the leak ) ?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   

im dumb as all get out but wouldn’t the thick sludge like liquid have to be heavier than the oil its self? and wouldn’t they have to pump it in at a higher pressure than the oil is coming out? it make me wonder if this will work since they are not pumping the oil strate down the hole. they are pumping it from the line which is laying on the ground, which could cause pressure in the line and could possibly blow the line. this would make matters much worse.

plus they would be pumping into a hole that is pressurized and couldn’t that compromise the hole its self? what about air pockets in the hole? if they pumped this stuff into the whole wouldn’t that cause the air to rise to the top maybe compromising the hole again?

and wouldn’t they also have to know the exact size of the hole and the amount of oil that still exists in the hole, so they are not to fill it to much?

what about the concrete having no air to dry its self? if the pressure is high enough couldn’t it push the sludge as well as the concrete right back out? plus the weight of the ocean pushing down on a hole that is losing its integrity. wouldn’t that cause more pressure?

questions questions questions. seems like they should take a bit more time to think this one out. but who has the time?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Here is a video provided by BPO themselves and shows the modifications made to the BOP for the coming kill of the well.

Take a look and they show the work done by the ROVs.

BP VIDEO

There are also many other videos on BP's site and a live feed of the main oil flow pipe.

I hope these guy kill that well, I honestly don't see how they are going to able to pump all the Mud they require down the well that has 170,00 PSI of oil coming the opposite direction. If they don't plug the top of the BOP with "Junk all that mud is just going to go right out the top.

But we shall see.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Here is a youtube video with what looks like to me a good idea of how to stop the Gulf oil leak.

(1) Make a clean cut of the pipe on the bottom without any jagged edges, (2) attach another pipe to it that has an installed opened valve, and (3) after the new pipe is completely attached then close the valve.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by drift393

That works for me. If they're not enough, got a bunch of politicians from DC can also be used.

I'm trying to fine the article, think it was in Pop Sci, that the top kill method was not very reliable, and a last resort. And logic says this deep ain't a great idea.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
By the way.... this isn't a 'leak' .... it's a massive oil splurge... a gushing of an oil deposit... like a huge wave of water gushing...... not a 'spill' or a 'leak'

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I have significant doubts about this 'top kill' they're talking about. I keep hearing percentages thrown around that are making me nervous. Let's also consider if they screw up, this disaster could become worse. We'll have to see. I'm going to hope it works, though.

On another note, the BPCam is moving around. Seems its attached to some kind of machine that can move. They are taking a good hard look at stuff at the moment all over the place. Pretty interesting.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join