It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Top kill' planned to stop oil leak

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

'Top kill' planned to stop oil leak

edition.cnn.com

Washington (CNN) -- A "top kill" method intended to stop the runaway flow of oil in the Gulf of Mexico will likely be tried early next week, BP Chief Operating Officer Doug Suttles said Friday.

In the procedure, thick, viscous fluid twice the density of water will be pumped at a high rate into the site of the leak to stop the flow so that it can then be sealed with cement, Suttles said.

"Our best estimate is probably Tuesday," he said, noting that the operation has never been tried in such deep water.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Gulf Spill Will Affect Europe & Artic -- Experts
"Everything in that marsh is DEAD tonight!" --Obama's Katrina.
BP cautions against bid to stop oil leak

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I hope this works but I've got a hard time with it.

The plus side is that it seems the spill effects is getting more public attention.
They still do not tell everything, like that this is never been done at those depths. They are also using the same chemicals to clean up. There is talk of a new saver chemical by the way.

I'm holding my breath and keep my fingers crossed this will work.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It is the arrogance that destroying the environment. When the President of Iran offered the help, why the arrogance played a part not asking them how they would do it. Even if BP didn't want to go that route they could still use the idea. I guess it depends on the attitude how you look down on other people even if they may have the answer to solve your problems. To me that is arrogance.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by charlie0

I agree. Yet arrogance was not the motivation for drilling that hole.
They just want to keep all the oil for themselves.

If the US would allow Iran to help out they would never get the support they need to invade of destroy it. It seems that's what they are planning anyway.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Id be interested in the physics of this method. How much pressure is this "fluid" going to be pumped at and if they actually have a success/fail rate percentile.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SiKFury

That's what I like to know as well.

It better work.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Thick vicious fluid - huh? What exactly is it and will it add to the contamination if it doesn't work? Lots of scientist in this field in the world and BP doesn't want their help. BP needs to be put out of the way IMO and let some others give it a try.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Reminder : if it fails, it will make it worse.

Here

BP is preparing to launch a procedure as early as Sunday to clog the flow of oil and gas from the month-old Deepwater Horizon spill in the Gulf of Mexico. But the proposed "top kill" method is untested at the 5,000-foot depth of the spill, and could easily join the growing list of fixes thwarted by the spill's punishingly remote environment. It is also the most invasive maneuver attempted to date, and could rupture the leaking well and actually accelerate the flow of crude.

Federal officials acknowledge that the top kill carries a risk of breaking open the well or the BOP and exacerbating the spill.

Now IT MUST BE SUCCESSFUL.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
chemicals,chemicals,chemicals,chemicals,

there has got to be a better way,

substituting one chemical for another is not helping at all..

""Thick vicious fluid - huh? What exactly is it and will it add to the contamination if it doesn't work? Lots of scientist in this field in the world and BP doesn't want their help.""

I just don't get it anymore, there must be a better way..i know..no one has one yet , but still..

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
So what I'm seeing here is basically "We're going to try a procedure that has never been attemted at these depths, and if it fails it will makes things worse."

It really doesn't seem like they get it.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I'm holding my breath and crossing my fingers on this one. It seems we are reaching the point of no return fast. The abrasives in the crude have to be working on the "leaks" in the pipe. The "leaks" have to be getting bigger, they just have to be. If they can't stop the flow soon...

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Midyew

that was also my idea.

They are/were suposed to have this all figured out before they even started drilling.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Why don't they put pipe around the existing pipe, with twist lock flanges allowing one pipe to connect to the next and drop it over the damn pipe. So it takes 5,000 g
feet of pipe and woudl not be 100% sealed at the bottom but atleast it would get most of it.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Is it possible to crimp the pipe with hydraulic pneumatics like using the

jaws of life in reverse or a car crusher but with much more force and

much larger device to do the job by stopping the flow? ^Y^

[edit on 22-5-2010 by amari]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Here

Federal officials acknowledge that the top kill carries a risk of breaking open the well or the BOP and exacerbating the spill.

This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. I think the more risky options are being considered now because they are getting desperate. They realize the damage that will become apparent later and they are willing to use options that have the potential to cause harm.

At this point we must accept that the method to stop this disaster very well could be the lesser of two evils.

I really need to read these things before hitting post...
[edit on 22-5-2010 by Styki]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Did anyone else get the impression that this article the OP posted from CNN was written in abstract code ?

Top kill, planned on Tuesday?? Sounds like abstract code to me. I read the whole article, and it seems as though they are talking about the oil spill but at the same time they are telling a very different serious story. Look for double meanings and strange out of place phrases.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by wiredamerican]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Last update...

Not good.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
2 Amateur Photos from a commercial flight over Gulf of Mexico really shows the devastation..:

Pic 1

Pic 2

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

It doesn't look good does it ?

I wonder when there is disclosure on this.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
As an outsider looking it in, in puzzlment at the pace containment and fix is chugging along.. it's almost as tho *all* sides involved in this are going at a snails pace deliberatly.. and for the life of me I can not work out why..

I hope this fix works.. and will have my fingers crossed..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join