It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTF? 3,200 Endangered Antelopes All Dead Within a Small Area

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

3,200 saiga antelopes have died of unknown causes in Kazakhstan, the emergencies ministry said Saturday.

Article Source

'As of Friday evening it was established that 3,200 saiga antelopes had died in an area of 4,500 hectares,' a ministry statement said.

It said there was no indication of an outbreak of any disease in the area.

The first dead saiga antelopes were discovered May 18.

The saiga antelope, listed as an endangered species by the International Union for Conservation of Nature, inhabits in southern Russia, Kazakhstan and parts of Mongolia.

WOW!! This is crazy...what in the world do you think could have killed them all so fast. They have ruled out a disease outbreak. So what do you think could be the cause? This is terrible, I know they're just antelope but man...so many so fast, that's a bit disturbing.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The first thing I thought of was "poisoned", then I had a search and found this -

Rare Saiga antelopes 'poisoned' in Kazakhstan: official

The animals had "swollen stomachs, greenish foam coming out of their mouths and extreme diarrhoea," Nysanbayev said. "Veterinarians say these three symptoms are clear signs of poisoning.

The number of Saiga fell drastically after the collapse of the Soviet Union, due to uncontrolled hunting and demand for its horns in Chinese medicine

Hopefully the culprits will be caught for this terrible act and brought to justice. Makes me sick......

G.

www.enews.ma...

[edit on 22-5-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

How in the world do you poison that many antelope in that big of a space without being noticed? Makes me sick as well, and the fact that they're already endangered, is a massive blow. I hope they find the Douche Knuckle(s) that is/are responsible.

[edit on 5/22/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
For that many all at once ...First thought was test their water supply and second thought was could one of the earthquakes in the area released gasses

Not everything is done by man.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

Not everything is done by man.

Valid notion...along with water, air quality tests etc. It shows they were poisoned...but by what?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

Good call on the possible non man connection.

Pretty strange.

If they were poisoned by man and they still had their horns though it calls into question what the heck was it done for then. Sick joke is one thing. Mass murdering animals with potential goldmine of ground up horn left sitting in the grass is another.

Would be nice if they kept this up to date truly interested in the "why" behind this.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Could these antelope be the exact antelope that threaten a oil/gas pipeline between Kazakhstan and china? Oil/gasl Pipeline

Endangered species?

What species? Huh that is weird, they must have all died off.

Oh well back to the pipeline we go.

And the officials also talked of a strange gray cloud/mist .
[edit on 22-5-2010 by wiredamerican]

[edit on 22-5-2010 by wiredamerican]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Oh no!!
Our animals are dying, our fish and other wildlife are dying. This is so distressing. Are we next?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It sometimes happens that whole herds of plains animals get killed during electrical storms. One big zap and poof! But thousands? Maybe it was poison.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Sorry but I do not think "poisoning" is a viable answer.

We are talking about animals that roam wild. If these animals were "poisoned" would we not also have evidence of other wildlife that was poisoned as well? Why these specific animals? Why are there no other animals who roam in that area suffering any effects as well?

If you poison water, everything that drinks or swims in that water will be poisoned. If you poison tree branches and leaves, then we are talking about anything that lives in the trees, eats the leaves, grabs the branches.

So what kind of "poison" are we talking about that targets a specific species?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Any scientists from that area here on ATS to do the samples and keep us informed.

Next Question is How close is this to a populated area?

Thanks for pointing out the pipeline Wired and I ask the same ?,,,,If it is from the pipeline ,,,Are there people in danger?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Thats a valid question indeed.

Here's some more info -

The antelopes were found dead, after inspectors noticed a "grey fog of unknown origin" over their grazing area, Nysanbayev said

news.yahoo.com...

Some sort of Gas or even an itentional experiment of some kind?

Very interesting. Read this -

The great war: during World War I, soldiers faced a terrifying weapon of mass destruction: poison gas

There's devil's work going around Ypres, wrote Harvey Cushing, an American doctor who was working in a hospital in Paris, France, in 1915. Cushing was caring for French and Algerian soldiers during the dark, early days of World War I. The doctor had been hearing stories of the terrible German assault near the town of Ypres (EE-pruh), Belgium

At first, few believed the reports from the front, which said that the Germans were using some kind of lethal (deadly) gas. Then the wounded soldiers began to arrive. They told of a green-yellow cloud that made them cough and choke. The gas had killed or blinded many men and forced many more to flee in panic

You smelled nothing at first, but then it attacked your eyes, your throat, and your lungs," said Jean Creange, who fought at Ypres

"Worst of all was their terror as fluid [caused by the gas] rose higher and higher in their lungs until eventually they drowned in it," wrote Lyn MacDonald, a British nurse and historian in a book called The Roses of No Man's Land

According to the World Health Organization, the Germans released 180 tons of liquid chlorine, contained in 5,730 pressure cylinders, along a four-mile battlefront at Ypres. The gas gathered in a haze that drifted with the wind across "no man's land"--the area between the enemy lines. Then the gas descended upon the Algerian trenches

WTF?

www.highbeam.com...

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Also like to add the symptoms described also sounds like a plague of some kind,,,

"Antelope Flu" anyone.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

I fear you must have misunderstood what I was saying.

I did not mean the antelope were killed by a pipeline,

I was saying that these animals could have been poisoned on purpose by people to prevent the antelope from getting in the way of a future petroleum product pipeline. These antelope were endangered, and endangered species acts make it very hard for pipelines to be set up across wildernesses.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Wow, if it was a bio or chemical test, it sure did the job...the disturbing part is that only antelope are mentioned as being affected...an endangered species no less.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t

How in the world do you poison that many antelope in that big of a space without being noticed? Makes me sick as well, and the fact that they're already endangered, is a massive blow. I hope they find the Douche Knuckle(s) that is/are responsible.

[edit on 5/22/2010 by UberL33t]

Animals crave salt, so it could have been a poisoned salt lick.

On a large scale this would kill a horrendous amount of animals.

Let's hope they do catch the ppl.

I hope they give them a dose of their own medicine.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
That is so terribly tragic.

For the record there is no reason to kill animals to put in a pipeline (or oil rig), etc. They are not in the way of that kind of thing, so they don't need to be removed.

I hope the cause was natural only because it's so terrible.

The first place I would look is to who would 'own' the carcasses, given the value inherent in the horns.

But it's not too easy to have a cloud that only kills one animal type and doesn't float around after killing other things too. (Unless they're an experimental group for some tech. No, not saying they are.)

RC

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
hmmm
mad scientist creates "synthetic" form of goat mastitis bacterium
Contagious bovine pleuropneumonia page on wikipedia has link to minimal genome project
thousands of antelope in "third world country" die
reports of foam from mouths

that is curious

[edit on 22-5-2010 by reticlevision]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
From what i have read on the subject it was most likely something similar to this.

"It came across the low-lying fields as a drifting fog that some men saw as gray, some as yellow, some as green."Thus did Historian Ralph Allen describe the deadly mist of chlorine gas that ravaged the Canadian First Division at Ypres in 1915.

More on that subject

Here´s a few links refering to violent fogs that have killed people over the past.
London fog

Random killer fogs, including 1 that killed 5000 birds

It´s truly sad that this type of news does not even get the light of day in the so called mainsteam media. But yet i saw a post about a homeless person living in a phonebooth the same day, and if i remember correctly it was also the same day that the notorius brazilian model was finally arrested for her drug smuggeling ring. But 3200 endangerd antilopes,, nahhh who wants to hear something as depressing as that.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
What the heck is going on I am looking at this news on the WWF and they are reporting 12,000 dead so what is the correct figures ?

Nearly 12,000 Critically Endangered saiga antelopes have been found dead over the last week in the Ural population in western Kazakhstan.

Although the deaths are currently being ascribed to pasteurellosis, the underlying trigger remains to be identified. Pasteurellosis is caused by a bacterium that lives naturally in healthy individuals, but can cause acute illness and rapid death if the animal’s immune system is compromised, either by another infection, poisoning, stress or malnutrition. Any of these explanations are possible.

WWF link

So is there an exaggeration here given that WWF has a stake in bringing this kind of news into the media.

I realise that any number is a tragedy but there is a big difference between 3,200 and 12,000.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join