It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kilt Banned from High School Convocation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Kilt Banned from High School Convocation

news.aol.ca

"I would like to wear my kilt to the grad ceremonies," said 19-year-old Hamish Jacobs, who is of Scottish descent.

Though school officials refused to comment on why the no-kilt dress code was created, a community resident said a previous graduate wore nothing under his kilt and exposed himself during the ceremony.

"He had a kilt on and he was inappropriately flashing himself."

"I told them I would wear something underneath just for respect for the school, but they said 'nope,' I can't w
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

"It's important to have rules in a school," a Raymond resident, who agrees with the school's kilt prohibition, told CBC News. "You have to say, 'This is the line and you can't go past it.'"

Yes at a certain point you do have to say that
But it this it?

How can you call yourself land of the free but do not allow a kilt from a kid who promises to conform to underwear attire?

I don't see what the big deal is here
It's just a kilt, what's the big deal???

Or Must everyone wonder......
What's Under The Kilt?????

news.aol.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
This one doesn't really outrage or even bother me. The article didn't go in depth nor did it explain the rule behind it. So all I can do is speculate.

So perhaps the rules for the graduation were something along the lines of slacks or dress jeans for males? The article mentions they had a previous incident of a kilt-wearer flashing the crowd but the article goes on to allude there were other factors at play, too.

IMO, this isn't really a battle worth fighting. Most likely, they just want it to be 'everyone's night' and to not have any students do something to call added attention to themselves.

I remember when I was around 13 we were doing a Christmas pageant in the form of a choir. We were instructed to only wear neutral colors and to avoid red as that would draw attention to certain students. Senior graduation night, we were instructed to not wear anything 'glittery' (even under our robes).

So I can understand the logic of not wanting anything distracting. It's supposed to be a serious night. Not really appropriate for someone wanting to make a statement or to be a focal point.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
As a Scotsman,i would respectfully tell them to get stuffed and wear it anyway.

Remember,its all for nothing if you don't have your freedom...

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

So I can understand the logic of not wanting anything distracting. It's supposed to be a serious night. Not really appropriate for someone wanting to make a statement or to be a focal point.

Come on now, do you think they would deny a Muslim wearing a Hijab, or a Jewish person their Yamaka? I guess cultural sensitivity is limited to so called "people of color"?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Rowsdowerr

I don't really see it that way. For instance, if he was prohibited from participating in the ceremony because of something silly like small cuff links in the shape of the Scottish flag, I'd be thinking 'WTF? Leave the kid alone!'

Or if the school's reasoning behind not allowing the kilt was it is insensitive/offensive to those not of Scottish descent, I'd be thinking 'WTF? Stick your PC attitude where the sun don't shine.'

But if it's just a matter of dress code or what not, I could totally see it. What if his ancestral culture was wearing a loin cloth and nothing else? I'd still support the school saying the dress code for young men is a collared shirt and slacks. Or what not.

I'm usually the first to run into these threads and start screaming my head off but this just doesn't seem like a battle to be fought if we really use our reasoning processes.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
If that's the reason for the ban then by that logic they should ban all skirts too. Let's see how that flies with the parents.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Or in other words, if it was something that is not conflicting with the dress code. As in, let's say the dress code is male students must wear a collared shirt. So if he wanted to wear a collared shirt made out of a pattern resembling the Scottish flag and they claimed that was inappropriate, I'd be asking 'Why?!'

On the other hand, if the dress code was for male students to wear slacks or dress jeans but the student wanted to wear a kilt, then that contradicts the dress code.

Again, because the article didn't mention why, we're only speculating. I sometimes feel kids are so obsessed with making statements that it's OK to just say 'This is what we are going to do and these are the standards.'

Like the female student who wanted to wear a tuxedo to prom.

It's like, how about we just have FUN and CELEBRATE instead of politicizing everything or trying to draw attention to ourselves. I don't mind dress code standards being set for special occasions.

I can DEFINITELY understand where you guys are coming from. I'm just saying I don't think this specific issue is a PC run amok current event or 'racist against whites' issue. It just seems like a kid clashing with the dress code.

Again, pick our battles. A Scottish emblem or what not- fine. A Scottish kilt that may clash with the dress code- no. A religious symbol worn around the neck as a pendant is fine. A full on burqa- no. Etc.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
A kid at my nieces high school wore one to the prom. No worries.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I wish more men would wear kilts! I am a leg woman! Some men have gorgeous legs!

I don't think it's right they wonn't let him wear a kilt, because of a past students stunt!

Will the school be checking to make sure all the ladies graduating will be wearing panties?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
@ blanca, if nobody applies for that job, i will, who could pass up an opportunity like that!?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

LOL! I'm with you. I think kilts are sexy. lol

Anyways, it looks like this thread is getting more emotional than it is rational. I think the argument about girls and skirts is great. If the flashing fear really is the only reason they are not allowing him to wear a kilt then that is wrong and sounds like a double standard.

But the article made it sound like it was something else.

Anyways, I'll leave everyone with a question. Are your views consistent on this? For instance, my views would be the exact same if it was this student and a kilt, an Indian with ritual tribal gear, a woman in a burqa, a student wanting to cross dress, etc.

Would you still feel outraged if this incident involved an Asian student wearing traditional Han Chinese clothing and the school said no? No big deal if you wouldn't have an issue with the above as well. Just as long as our views are consistent and fair.

But I personally don't see a big problem with having a consistent dress code.

[edit on 5/22/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

In the states, I don't think it would be a problem, because most schools have a cap and gown, and kids wear whatever they want under the gown.

This is in Canada, so they must let students wear what they like, or whatever the school deems as appropriate. I don't really know what the rules are in Canada, if appropriate means a suite and tie for the fellows, or formal dresses for the girls? This fellow is promising to wear underwear, and looking at him wearing the kilt in the picture, it looks ok to me!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Q: Why do they call it a "kilt"'?

A: Because a lot of people got kilt when they called it a skirt.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by signal2noise

That's funny, I wore a kilt to my prom as well.

My school had no problem with it, that and they didn't know I was going to wear it,
so its not like they had to time to check to see if this was a violation of the dress
code. I just showed up with it on. I garnered a lot of respect that day, it was great.

I think this kid should have just worn it without saying anything, chances are they
wouldn't turn him away on the day of his graduation, but then again ya never know.
Its a shame someone before him had to ruin it if that's the case.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
How could they ban something THIS sexy?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

All he had to tell them was that he was transgengered and needed to express himself and wearing the kilt was his preferred manner of expression.

Interesting how the society encourages certain groups to express and identify themselves and tells the others to stuff it

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
i run a business. currently, only 25 employees. Previously, over 400. When i was asked for "permission" to do something, my rule has always been "Yes", unless i can find a rational reason to say "No".

Rules for the sake of rules are stupid. Hard and fast rules are stupid. Each situation is always different. Unless we are talking about consistency for HR's sake, there is no need to have hard and fast rules.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I think all men should wear kilts, especially big sexy Scots who could throw those little school admins like a telephone pole across a field.

I'm glad I homeschool. Schools even LOOK like prisons these days.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Hadriana, you’re right, schools are indeed a prison these days, its a Prison for good kids, and a Day-care for burnt-out losers who only grow up to be the scum of the Earth. As for the whole Banning of the Kilt, this could actually go down badly. As for Banning Skirts? Only if the Skirt is a mini-skirt or is see-through. I had to put up w/ a lot of sexual-harassment when i wore a skirt as a kid, people pretending to drop there books and telling me to bend-over to pick it up. I had to put up w/ boys reaching and trying to grab my underwear while i was in-class. And that’s when i was 7 to 10yrs old, and my skirts were normal appropriate ones, i can only imagine what the behavior would be like if all girls wore skirts in school today, especially high-school. Its getting bad, even the teachers are sleeping w/ the students. The whole reason i dropped out at 17 was to escape the stupidity and evil in public schools. But Banning a Scottish Descendant his right to wear a kilt on a special night all because of the action of ONE jerk, thats not right. I guess if i would have went to my graduation or prom dressed in Native-American garb with fringes and beads i would have received a death-sentence. Or if i would have went dressed in a way that showed i was also Celtic, or Norse descent, i would have received the same penalties. I wouldn’t be surprised if they denied an African American to wear a Dashiki (Probably not spelled right) to the graduation either, just based on the action of one trouble-maker.

This is just saddening, to deny this, but allow boys to wear their pants all baggy and the crotch of the pants is down to their knees and their underwear pulled up to show everyone, aswell as allowing girls to dress like little gutter-skanks. Not to mention, kids showing up with this and that pierced and tattoos allover, they let that kind of stuff fly, but yet they deny a Scottish descendant the right to wear a Kilt on ONE special night. that is truly Depressing.

new topics

top topics

join