It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kevin Costner hopes his solution to the BP oil crisis will become a reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Kevin Costner hopes his solution to the BP oil crisis will become a reality

www.wwltv.com

NEW ORLEANS -- A longtime Hollywood star is now in the Metro area and in the business of cleaning up oil.

Motivated by the Exxon-Valdez oil spill, Kevin Costner began assembling a team of scientists to construct a machine that could clean up massive spills. A decade and a half later, that technology might now be put to use off the coast of Louisiana.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I came across this article on a Louisiana news site. I only have one question, regardless of the methods people are submitting for cleaning up this disaster why do they need permission from BP to start the cleanup? Sounds to me like this machine could help. Last time I checked BP didn't own the ocean, so if the people of LA want to give it a go I say go for it.

www.wwltv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-5-2010 by taccj9903]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Because people want BP to pay for it.

I wouldnt mind the whole world gathering to help clean this up, but unfortunately, everyone wants to do it for the money.

This spill is "Creating Jobs".

And Kevin Costner is the leader with his industrialized machinery.

Sounds like a good script.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Ah, the whole show me the money routine. Honestly, I never thought of that. Great point! Guess I just figured that people might want to be proactive and try to get this mess contained instead of worrying about who is picking up the check.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by taccj9903]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I say, let Costner try. he's Hollywood.. he's in a Great position to get underwater film crews down there to show the world whats really going on.

Perhaps he will help uncover a true conspiracy and proof of how the platform exploded.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Costner obviously has the finances, why doesn't he just send out a couple of those machines with whatever crew is needed and give it a go. I'm sure the publicity alone would gain enough support and investors who want to at least try something instead of sitting back at watching.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I know why he's pushing this to be done, because he want the water to be clear so he can film ``Waterworld 2``.

So selfish...

Kidding. Let's hope they clean that mess up as soon as possible, doesn't matter who does it and who pays for it. The fact is THAT MUST BE CLEANED UP BEFORE A HURRICANE HITS THE REGION.

If it happens and send tons of oil inland, they'll have to evacuate a large area and it will only mean more suffering and more costs for everyone.

Better pay right now than pay X100 times that because of evacuation and cleaning cost and GUESS WHAT? BP won't pay you your moving and cleaning expenses.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Let's hope they clean that mess up as soon as possible, doesn't matter who does it and who pays for it. The fact is THAT MUST BE CLEANED UP BEFORE A HURRICANE HITS THE REGION.

If it happens and send tons of oil inland, they'll have to evacuate a large area and it will only mean more suffering and more costs for everyone.
[edit on 22-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

Based on the poor job that is going on right now, I would consider this an inevitability.

I'm not a pessimist.

We are screwed. Plain and simple.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by taccj9903

Why does BP have to give the "ok" to clean up?

Think about that people!

If Costner's machines work, why isn't he in the freakin' water now?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I sure Hope it works. We all better pray it does and they get it going yesterday so too say. Maybe there is hope in this nightmare!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
well, let's look at this..

If the machines are to separate the oil from the water, where do they put the oil and who does the oil belong to now?

I'm guessing BP want's there oil back so.. they will have to supply the tankers to put the oil into while the water is put back into the ocean..

So, maybe they need the thumbs up from BP because BP is the one who will have to oversee and pay for the whole project?

I dunno..just my 2 cents...

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
More news on the spill...and not good ones.

Cleaning oil-soaked wetlands may be impossible

Scientists say much of the gooey oil washing into the maze of marshes along the Gulf Coast could prove impossible to remove, leaving a toxic stew lethal to fish and wildlife. Officials are considering some drastic measures — including setting the wetlands on fire or flooding areas in hopes of floating out the oil.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I was personally astonished to see Mr. Costner had to await approval from British Petroleum to implement any plan concerning cleaning up the gulf and the coasts.

Does British Petroleum now hold jurisdiction over the entire Gulf and any efforts to proceed with saving the environment has to go through them first?

Even the stars are subserviant to the Big Oil companies, can't clean up their mess, our environment, without waiting on their ok first?

Great Plan!

Everyone with viable solutions please line up and sit on your hands and wait, we will get to you, but we are a little busy right now.
thanks,
BP

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I'm watching CNN right now and they are showing that BP has ordered Kevin Costner's machines.

top topics

join