It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You really really believe you elected your President?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Actually your at tad bit mistaken in the OP. Not all states have anonymous electors. SOme do, many don't. 24 states have laws to punish faithless electors. And the electors must pledge their vote.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

Hi DrJay1975! Hm... I don't see where I talk of an anonymous elector in the OP. Maybe you mean the secret vote part?

What I've been told, essentially is that if it is true that Electoral Voters can technically vote for whomever he wishes, their were step taken, at state level to insure the pledge is respected.

But you should read the rest of the thread to see what was pointed out, especially by Rockpuck!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
Secession would be as illegal today as it was then. To claim otherwise is delusional.

Well, that's the Court's problem for being out of touch with reality, by assuming that nothing ever changes. But in fact the only constant is change. Expecting a large empire spanning an entire continent to never break up, the way every large empire ever ever all throughout history has, is what I would call delusional. Calling it "illegal" will just make the breakup much more ugly.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Well, ultimately a breakup of the Union would be decided with arms, as it was before. The law is not enforced by God, but by men with guns.

I am not implying the Union will never die, just that States do not have the right to secede from it. The Civil War was not a "war of aggression" because the Southern states never actually seceded.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Grumble]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

The Southern States DID Secede, how do you figure they did not? .. They created a Capital city for the Confederacy and adopted a new Constitution, even had their own President?

Lincolns excuse for the war revolved around the displacement of the Articles of Confederation which, according to him, granted to much sovereignty for independent states (because Article 2 of the Articles of Confederation specifically states that all states retain all rights of Sovereignty) .. because the Constitution was therefor the replacement, Lincoln used the excuse to "Form a more Perfect Union" .. Which essentially meant the power of the Federal Government would lock all States in a binding Contract. His number one political enemy was dead, and the South took up his cause: Thomas Jefferson.

According to Jefferson, any State has the right to secede based on the God given principles of Self Govenrment, that all men have the right to form their own Destinies. It was highlighted in the Declaration of Independence, that no King or Tyrant, nor any form of Government had the express legal authority to dictate the policies of a people.. that America would secede from Britain under the God given rights of self Government.

The real reason the Articles of Confederation were tossed out was that it did not highlight the specific God given rights to citizens (Bill of Rights) .. and did not firmly established the economic role of the Federal Government (interstate trade) as well as economic regulation.. it had nothing to do what so ever with state sovereignty.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join