It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does China Want to Be Top Superpower?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

New Book by Chinese Colonel Says China's Goal Is to Replace the U.S. as World's Leader

"China's grand goal in the 21st century is to become the world's No. 1 power."

Article Source

These words were written by Liu Mingfu, a senior colonel in the People's Liberation Army, in a new book titled "China's Dream."

For those watching the phenomenal economic rise of China and seeking to divine its ambitions, this 303-page book offers some ideas about the country's quest for global leadership.

"To become the world's No. 1 has been China's century-old dream. It was this dream that inspired three generations of great Chinese leaders, from Sun Yat Sen to Mao Zedong to Deng Xiaoping," Liu wrote in a passage reflecting a growing nationalist sentiment shared by many Chinese.

Then I came across this story which has an ironic twist:

Why Is China Slipping in College Rankings?

Despite Investing Billions in Education, China Lags in a New List of Asia's Top Colleges

Hong Kong universities top a new ranking of Asian seats of learning published last week, far outstripping their rivals in mainland China.

No mainland university made the top 10 on the list, compiled by the London-based QS, a higher education information company. It was dominated instead by institutions in Hong Kong and Japan.

That did not surprise Prof. Zhang Ming, a professor of politics at Renmin University in Beijing. "Chinese universities are getting worse, and they are getting worse fast," plagued by bureaucracy and plagiarism, he says bitterly.

A failing economy and education system is not going to thwart a Country's efforts to becoming a Super Power. A failing economy could be considered the root cause to these education statistics IMO.

If all that money is being invested into education and the education that one receives doesn't produce the ability to become employed, then what becomes of the Country in the long run? Not Super Power status, that's for sure.

If this trend becomes epidemic there is no telling what the repercussions would be to a Country in the long run. I can think of a few scenarios that may or may not play out. The specific Country isn't relative for the most part.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I don't really understand why people say China is NOT a world power.

It certainly is considering how much Foreign Debt it holds over other nation's heads.

I think moving forward China will try to move to the #1 spot and will probably succeed if things don't shape up in Europe or the US.

Education is a great thing, but your right, if they can't employ the citizens, what's the point?

~Keeper

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The People's Republic of China is more of a economic and trade power then a military power. When was China's last war? The People's Liberation Army is funded with a lot of money yearly and soldiers are traind mentally and psychically. OP you might be interested in this book.
www.amazon.com...

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
saw something about China's suspected economy failure as well, how building their infrastructure well ahead of demand could also lead to problems as well, from giant loans for shipbuilding to highrises and apartments being built with no demand for residency or too expensive for the public to live in, all being done too much, too soon leading to crash.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by redgy

This reminds me on how America allowed other countries in debt with America after World War 1 to pay when they can. If The PRC allows the countries that owe them money to work it out slowly then they can represent them as a better economic ally. Because they know they can't always get every penny from some who owes them.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Its un-likely China would ever become the top superpower in the world because quite simply put, no-one outside of China wants to share their lifestyle.
The reason the states are so successful is down to how they portray themselves to the rest of the world, the rest of the west has no objection to the american dream ideals portrayed in their culture.

At the end of the cold war it was down to popularity, why the USSR fell into the pit of obscurity and the US continued to rise. Anyone living outside the cold war during the 80s, didn't want to live in a world of conscription and communism. As a planet we want to be given the chance of freedom, America best fits with these ideals, that's why they will never be removed from the top spot in my opinion...

The basic human right to freedom is of little concern to China's govt, this is the primary reason why they will always struggle to be seen as leaders of a free world regardless of how much of it they end up owning lol!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
no superpower will ever remain in the #1 spot for eternity, it just simply doesnt work, look through the history books, what makes you think this is any different?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I don't think the whole Superpower thing is going to matter that much by the time China gets to that level..

In 25 years, there's going to be the US, EU, China, India as main Superpowers and several smaller major powers like Brazil, Russia, Japan etc..

Its not like they are going to be able to project power anywhere anyway.. Maybe Space.. But other than that, the world is gonna be pretty crowded with Superpowers..

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

I agree with you. Hopefully people can unite as one in the world and accept themselves as the world government.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
There has never been a shortage of nations wanting to be the world's no.1 super power. So if China doesn't want to be it, there has to be something very unique-odd about their version of human nature. Right now; I can't "pin-down" what that is!

However I think China is just as scared as atomic warfare as the Soviet Union was, as America is, as all countries led by rational people are (regardless of how "evil" (-ruthless) those same people may be.

One interesting test of this "stability" will be if ever China invades Australia. Australia has a population of little over 20 million, whilst China has one of over 1.2 billion. And Australia has no, nukes, and neither the reactors, or enrichment ability that could make one anytime soon. All Australia has is the promises of nuclear protection from (primarily) America and Britain.

Australia has ample food exporting ability, most of the resources China needs for development (namely coal, and iron ore)
But would the West still defend Australia, when it is we who are number 2 (or depending on India's development) even number 3? When China has so much of our debt, and we NEED so much of their trade? (If we are to grow anyway's).

Only 1-2 years ago, China's population had the same total GDP of Germany's of 81 million. So (economically) asking why China didn't conqueror Australia was about as absurd as asking why Germany doesn't do the same.
So we'll have to see if the outcome remains once China does indeed become a country more powerful than America. If they think like 90% of humanity, Australia better consider getting its own "Stand By" nuclear power ability. Main problem is, I doubt most Australians would support any such moves. At least not until it was far too late.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

It's inevitable that China would want to be Numero Uno in the world. Ever since the birth of City States (~4000BC), regional control has been key to ensuring success and prosperity for leaders and population. Here we are in the 21st Century 'Global Village' and some of the same States are seeking 'regional control' in an era where 'regional' has been exchanged for international.

The leaders of the past sought longevity and legacy. Nothing new here. Empire-builders are always doomed to fall by the wayside of history...I guess they are looking to be a chapter rather than a footnote.

For example, there's a cool Gif showing the rise and fall of the Ottoman Empire...there's always a nation in the ascendency. So it goes...

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Seems like an interesting read, thank you. If it's any consolation to anyone else interested in reading this I found a free .pdf ebook and I uploaded it to the ATS Media Portal here's the download link (this is the UK version released in June 2009):

When China Rules the World: The Rise of the Middle Kingdom and the End of the Western World. By Martin Jacques.

The subtitle is a little different but I am pretty sure it's the same book.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
I agree with you. Hopefully people can unite as one in the world and accept themselves as the world government.

SHHHHHHH!!!

Careful.. You can't say logical things like that around this site without fear of getting shot or something..

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Yes the book is the same as the one I have. Now I wish I had my $20 dollars back.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Speaking broadly, Chinese history is one of constant internal upheaval, peasant revolts, dynastic changes, and palace intreagues. Historically, China has spent too much time struggling to hold itself together to be concerned with imperial expansion.

Of course, past performance does not guarantee future results...

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   

China IS a top super power.

And a horrible one who cares nothing what it sacrifices.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
By all measurements, China is already a super-power but they have certain problems which keep them struggling. They have a population of approx 1.5B which is twice as populous as the US so their ability to feed their selves is a constant challenge. The fact that they are a closed communist society is a major issue with their global acceptance for human rights, immigration, economy and trade. They probably realize better than anybody that they need global partners in many areas, but are reluctant to change their fragile social structure because there are many pitfalls that could lead to chaos. Their government has many unique challenges and let's hope they don't react or engage in war out of desperation.

top topics

join