It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reagan Was the Last Great President

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
At least as far as I'm concerned. His greatest trait? He was a good man. He was a strong leader with clear ideas and he never waivered. If he was wrong he admitted it and changed course. He embraced peace, while making known he would not shy away from using lethal force. Walk softly with a big stick.

I could write all day about why I like Reagan and the fond memories of him I had. And I do know the arguments Reagan-haters throw out. It's true he wasn't perfect and some bad shyte happened under his watch. All in all, though, I believe history will remember him quite fondly.

Reagan gave this country its faith back after a long, cold winter of despair. For that, I will be eternally grateful.

Who is your favorite president and why?

I'm especially interested in hearing what our friends from around the world think about this.

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
" I could write all day about why I dislike Reagan and the un fond memories of him I had. "

I normally don't have any beef with peoples desire to maintain ignorance if it means sacraficing their pyscological comfort zone; I do it too ( the only person I "hate"? My coach for my Senior year. I was scouted by Div.I schools @ fullback, got a new coach in my last year & got benched after the season was to be a losing record....even though I was leading my league in scoring & yd.s per carry avg. Does it make sense to still hate this man after academic/personal/professional success? Or is it just part of my denial that I was scouted, but only got two partials, and that I only ran a 4.9 in the 40 ? I haven't pieced it all together yet, but I know i still hate that coach.), and I think that's where the Raygun love fest is eminating from for alot of people.
We can go back on a line by line assessment of Regean's percieved achievements, and weigh that against the historical record. It won't come out rosy.
I too became a Republican because of his orator skills.

For me, Clinton was the best. He represented hope after a 12 year, dark period. He set goals and achieved them. He unified all classes of people to have the broadest cross section of Americans supporting the president, that I have ever seen.
Sure, he had Monica. But I guess if he had married his mistress like Regean did (Nancy) it would have been alright.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
We all have our favorite presidents and no one should be attacked for that.

But I'd pit Reagan's character and motives against Clinton's anyday. There's just no comparison.

No offence, BoutTime.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
how can you say he was a great president when for all of his second term he was probably incapable of making decisions, and was just a puppet for whoever is behind the scene pulling the strings.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
how can you say he was a great president when for all of his second term he was probably incapable of making decisions, and was just a puppet for whoever is behind the scene pulling the strings.

Why, that sounds like something you were told to think.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
his economic policies were a joke.
the unemployment rate reached its highest point since the great depression.
and he was openly against union workers.
nothing else could prove this more than when he fired the 13,000 striking air traffic controllers in 1981.
and his aggressive anti-communist views only revived the mccarthyist era, which was nothing short of a disgrace in amerikan history.
let alone his interference with the democratic overthrow of the tyrant government that was present in nicaragua, in which he had no business getting involved in.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Why, that sounds like something you were told to think.

yep, maybe. but do you really think reagan was a capable president

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

yep, maybe. but do you really think reagan was a capable president

Yep. And his negotiating skills were legendary.

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The Reagan memorial (Revisited)

You know...there's a few people that were left out of the Reagan mourning ceremony. But I'm sure they would want to say a few final words.
Here's a sample...

About 3 million people from El Salvador wanted to be there but they couldn't. They're dead. They were killed in a civil war that was financed, trained and supported militarilly by the Reagan administration. Why? Because the poor people decided to organize and vote in a system of government that had theirs not the American Business interest at heart...and boy did they pay for that.
Thats THREE million people folks.
Wait...there's more
There were some folks from Nicaragua. They also choose a government of the people, by the people and for the people. They also decided to "nationalize" the countries resources and companies. This made Rich American business people very unhappy. Reagan and Bush thus began an ILLEGAL war. Thats right kiddies. IT VIOLATED THE CONSTITUTION. They began selling arms and training leaders to retake the country militarilly. This included, but was not limiited, to the famous "Death Squads" of Central America. You see, there were some Catholic missionaries that were living among the squalor and poverty of the people in that country. They started to do some radical interpreting of the Bible and tried to organize the people so they might have a little more. I believe there's something in that book about that...but don't quote me. Anyhow, Mr Reverent Reagan (and the powers behind him) decided that was a bad idea. If poor people around the world fell behind that example it would mean that they would be unable to exploit the cheap labor and natural resources of a country all over the world. And that was a god/given/right of the rich. So an illegal war was started. On the flip side...to finance a war that violated the constitiution they inturn had to sell WMD to...damn, what was that guy's name....Saddam or something...anyhow...he in turn used those WMD against his own people. I think the estimates are between 10,000 and 50,000 deaths. I'm sure all those people missed the fact that they would be unable to honor Ronald Reagan. But back to Nicaragua. The Soveriegn country became so scared of the US that they went to the world court. They presented evidence that the US was behind the people trying to take over a "democratically" elected government. The world court agree and found the US the ONLY SOVERIGN GOVERNMENT EVER TO BE CONVICTED OF STATE SPONSORED TERRORISM.
Understand what that means kids. Say it with me..."found the US the ONLY SOVERIGN GOVERNMENT EVER TO BE CONVICTED OF STATE SPONSORED TERRORISM."
So Congress passes legislation OUTLAWING in even harsher tones the ILLEGAL war in Nicaragua. What does this revered president do??? THe man who takes the oath to uphold the constitution and the enforce the laws of the land???
He ignored it. In fact, they increased the financing by 100 million dollars a year. In order to find this new money they contracted the CIA to begin controlling the coc aine industry (anybody seen the movie Blow?)
So what we have now is called Iran/Contra affair. Anybody remember that? Take your hand off your heart and your head out of your for a few minutes and read on...
So we have an impeachment proceeding...or at least an attempt at one. Ollie North becomes famous for saying that he knew he violated the law but he held himself to a higher standard...god's law..and that America had a "God-Given right to do what she wanted". Nice huh? He is currently contracted by that "fair and balanced network"..whats it called???
So..the man we're all supposed to remain silent and revernet about comes to testify "uner oath" and makes his famous utterance, "I can't recall, Senator." I believe he made that statment around 55 times. THATS 55 TIMES KIDDIES???!!! I thinks thats a tremendous example of respect for law and the acountability of the executive branch, to the people.
As a side note...the estimates range from 100,000 to 300,000 men women and children killed by the war on Nicaragua. Can anyone guess how many WTC's would have to fall to equal that?
What do you think would be reaction in this country to that many people being killed by state terrorism???
On a final note. Sad to say but all the people that were "named" by Ronald Reagan in the "communism" scare of the 1950's were unable to nake the funeral arrangement. You guys remember that right??? That's when there was a witch hunt goin around the country for the umpteenth time...this time it wasn't "witches" that were tearing the fabric of the country apart...it was "Reds". Godless/ammoral Commies. The problem was that nobody took the issue seriously at first. There had been hearings and such but you had a population that had just fought the facism in Europe and they weren't ready to bow down before another...at least not yet. So up steps a young Ronald Reagan who "promises" to name names in the film industry and actors guild. He does so...ruining the careers of many people. There was never any convictions for the accusations but it didn't matter, the media did their part and those people never worked again. This also showed the powers that be that He was a "go-to" guy when it came time to be a puppet. And this is exactly what he did for the rest of his life.
So go ahead and honor this actor. He was certainly good enough to snow you and most of the american public. However, judging by what passes for artisic qualityin this country, I don't think thats a tremendous feat.
But revere away....the man who was "standing tall" after we invaded Grenada with 6,000 men to overcome 50 armed militia. And dont forget the war that was setup on false propoganda...a "terror attack on a German Disco"...thats right kids...I'm talking about Libya. Remember that??? (on a side note, its often been suspected that the CIA was responsible for the attack as a way of mobilizing the populace to the invasion...but our government would never do that...would they...)
Well, if you get a chance to turn off Fox New's slathering and slobering over "the gipper" for a moment, you might want to actually research the man, his policies and actions. Go for it! I applaud you!
Me,
Well, personally Im glad he's dead. I thought he had been gone for years...but my heart goes out to those he destroyed...the millions of poor, unable to fight back.
Goodbye Ronnie, its time for you to pay your karmic debt...and I suspect that its really gonna hurt.

"There is no friend anywhere" - Lao Tse

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
So, Voice_ofDoom, whose your favorite president?

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
ECK, I have to disagree, I think him and clinton are the same two peas in a pod.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Actually, George H.W. Bush and Clinton are two peas in a pod. Read "Compromised: Clinton, Bush & the CIA" by Terry Reed. Bush and Reagan are two very different presidents. Reagan gets the blame for Bush's covert doings.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Like I said I have to disagree, with you, I know you hate that and you have to prove me wrong, No need, Its just how I see it.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Like I said I have to disagree, with you, I know you hate that and you have to prove me wrong, No need, Its just how I see it.

I feel no need to disprove you. It's fine to agree to disagree. Whose your favorite president?

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I dont have one, I would say jefferson, Because he knew the goverment would have to be over throwen every so many years, to keep the goverment uncorupt.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Jefferson.. a very complicated man. One who went on and on about freedom, and yet, had his own corral of slaves.

I love the quote by him:

"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered by the blood of patriots and tyrants."

So true.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

Who is your favorite president and why?

When you say Reagan, I'd have to say Gorbatchov.

Well, he was in fact party secretary in Soviet and not a president, but he worked along with Reagan, stabilizing the nuclear threat, and is also responsible for ending the cold war.

Now Reagan has got most of the credit for it, why is that ? Had it not been for Gorbie, Germany would never been reunited. Gorbie was the one who ordered the Red Army out of those east european countries. He tried also to reform the communist state into a free country, pretty much like China is (successfully?) doing today. Later, Gorbie became more of an anti-hero in his home-country while being respected in the west.

In Europe, we remeber both Gorbie and Reagan as the couple who gave us hope for the future.

For a USA president I think I'd vote for Jimmy Carter I've met him once, he seems like a nice guy, and he is a peacemaker.

[edit on 9-6-2004 by doctorplague]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
What great thing did Reagan do? Say that ketchup was a vegetable so he couold skim on school lunch programs? Prolong the Cold War? Hand out free rotting cheese to the poor? Cut social programs to give money to the 1% of the wealthiest? What great thing are we talking here?

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
So, Voice_ofDoom, whose your favorite president?

I feel that, "the single act of submission is the cornerstone of authority."
If you kids feel like you need a "leader" in your life, so be it. But do not confuse your morality with mine, do not confuse your reality with mine...and for goddess's sake keep your f****** laws out of my life.

"I raise one corner of a conversation. If the other person fails to raise the remaining three, I move on" - Confucius

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join