It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You work you eat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I have searched the net for a long time and have found bits and pieces here and there, but I'm surprised that no one has come up with a plan for a complete eco friendly self sustaining village. This village would need to produce its own electrical power, water and filtration, sewage, and trash and produce its own food, clothing and furniture, building materials and tools.

If our civilization will eventually lead to its own destruction it seems to me the ptb would be well aware of this and would be left with three choices

1 do nothing
2 crack down on the people and give corporations massive control to take all they can before the collapse
3 develop a alternative everyday lifestyle that will not harm the environment. [sulf sustained eco villages]

I have seen websites like Sandhill farms and dancing rabbit in Missouri, but these are not self sustaining.

Im talking about a village that you would never need to leave to acquire what you may need. It would require lots of planning and the newest technologies available.

How big should it be? How much land would you need to support 150 people, 500 people should there be population limits on these villages?

Lets say Obama gives a press conference tomorrow and he states our industrial modern civilization is going to kill us all and the government has decided to start building these villages all over the usa and other countries have joined in. People that wish to forgo our current model of civilization can join on a voluntary basis and receive training for multiple functions within these villages...... You work you eat

Our goal would be to become caretakers of Earth, we would all work towards feeding ourselves and providing what we need without destroying our environment.

Just a thought.

LDF

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I have just found these ppl...well in the last 8 years, its 500k members strong and across the entire USA....
But self sustaining society, and study of the ppl's native to this land and how they survived here for thousands of years prior to modern ways..
www.boisdarc.info...

That is only one of the hundreds of "Knap In's" thats your key word if interested in google to see if there is one near you....
PS :::My friend just returned from France...they are not just something in the states!!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
Lets say Obama gives a press conference tomorrow and he states our industrial modern civilization is going to kill us all and the government has decided to start building these villages all over the usa and other countries have joined in. People that wish to forgo our current model of civilization can join on a voluntary basis and receive training for multiple functions within these villages...... You work you eat

I think you'll find it much more likely that Obama hunts them down and locks them up for growing unlicensed and chemically untreated organic produce.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I was having this discussion the other day on the way back from a business trip. We as a society go out of our way to produce cities and housing that pretty much requires people to travel. And, we waste so much energy and pay for so much we don't need to.

We need to completely rethink the way a city and a house is designed.
Couple of questions: Why aren't houses built with a rechargable battery that feeds off the furnace and kicks in to save energy?
Why do we build Costco's and Walmart plaza's which are almost impossible to bike/walk to?
Why is is seen as progress to get clogged roads with huge cities where no one can get anywhere?

I think we could build substainable cities with decentralized infrastructures that would require very little external support.

But, there are forces working against this who would not benefit from such a plan.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I think complete self sustainability is completely impossible, if you want any kind of comfort in your existence. Can it be done? Yes. But only if you want to eat three things in your life and only have one textile.

All of humanity and all of nature is based on networking. A bird eats a seed, flies to another place, poops it out, and bingo! You have a new plant for someone else to eat.

The same with people, you have to meet other groups to get new genetic material, new textiles, new foods, etc.

Variety is the spice of life.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Unfortunately I don't think you could make a village like this completely self sustaining because you need raw materials of such a wide variety that its impractical to have it all in one place. Metal, wood, farmable land, hunting grounds, pastures for livestock, a pond/lake if you want fish as part of the diet (and aren't located near the coast) the list could go on for pages.

As for population controls that would be a must for the simple fact that without some kind of check in place the population would naturally spiral out of control as people had more children during times of plenty. Just those controls alone would cause many people to chafe and societal issues would eventually crop up as a result.

At the end of the day humans are on the whole far too different for such a project to work simply because you can't get a group of 500 people on the same exact page on every issue, and if you can't pull that off such a project is going to be doomed in the long run.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

This is on the right train of thought Doc but I would add modern technology to it, solar panels, windmills along with a hefty amount of batteries. It would be a huge shock for most people to go without some of the modern conveniences we have today, so if they could be supplied to a central building like a town hall it would make the transition more bearable.

These types of workshops would also be taught to everyone in this village, we all would need to know how to do each others job. We would need to know gardening [basic botany], cooking, baking, hunting, fishing, butchering, how to make grain and flour, we would need to know food preservation methods, smoking curing, tanning, carpentry, and a host of other skills, we would definitely want a library.

Originally posted by ararisq

I think you'll find it much more likely that Obama hunts them down and locks them up for growing unlicensed and chemically untreated organic produce.

I do see your point here plus all the other no no plants and herbs you would need for both industrial uses and recreation and medicinal purposes. *cough*

It would need to be a Agrarian Society at its base. We would want to grow tobacco, hemp, poppy, coca, among other medicinal plants, and this would send the authorities right down upon you, if you attempted this now.

reply to post by Ellsworth

That sounds like a conversation I would have loved to be in on.

As you will see by the end of this post the costs and planning needed to do this will be high, but unlike the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia if this was done correctly by a government [the cost and planning involved is the reason I added the Obama part] we could theoretically abandon our outdated cities for smaller community's. This type of society was promoted by Thomas Jefferson btw.

reply to post by nixie_nox

If we as humans took on the role of caretakers of this Earth, our comfort could not be a huge priority, its our air conditioning and cars and our chemical dependence that is killing us all including the Earth, just look whats going on in the gulf?

Like I said earlier in the thread it would be difficult for this generation who has been raised with all modern conveniences and comfort to quit cold turkey, But if our world shakes all of our cities or just key ones into dust we would be living without cell phones and blow dryers pretty quick.

Originally posted by Helig
Unfortunately I don't think you could make a village like this completely self sustaining because you need raw materials of such a wide variety that its impractical to have it all in one place. Metal, wood, farmable land, hunting grounds, pastures for livestock, a pond/lake if you want fish as part of the diet (and aren't located near the coast) the list could go on for pages.

I should have added that these communities would not be isolated, because of the reasons you have listed.

But they should be able to grow there own grains and mill them, have extensive fruit and nut trees, grapes, herb and spice gardens and more herb and spice gardens. Fisheries to grow several species of fish, at least 1 lake with other smaller ponds, a spring would be handy a spring fed stream would be best. Vegetable gardens, medicinal gardens. You would want to raise rabbits, chickens, horses, cows, pigs and goats/sheep and dogs and cats. You would need to be able to grow enough food and be able to process it for both animals and humans. You would also need pottery, basket making, blacksmithing...like you said it could go on for pages....

As for population controls that would be a must for the simple fact that without some kind of check in place the population would naturally spiral out of control as people had more children during times of plenty. Just those controls alone would cause many people to chafe and societal issues would eventually crop up as a result.

My inspiration for this thread is from Genesis and Adams and Eves job was to take care of the garden and multiply

At the end of the day humans are on the whole far too different for such a project to work simply because you can't get a group of 500 people on the same exact page on every issue, and if you can't pull that off such a project is going to be doomed in the long run.

We would have to form a government within the village and have regular festivals and celebrations to let off stream, no matter what way we live there will be these issues.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

If we as humans took on the role of caretakers of this Earth, our comfort could not be a huge priority, its our air conditioning and cars and our chemical dependence that is killing us all including the Earth, just look whats going on in the gulf?

I am not even talking about that, just a variety of the basics. Food, clothing. Instead of just wool if you only have sheep and cows. A little cotton or silk would be nice.
Or fruite other then apples.
Depending on your local. Because no matter your local, your limited to what can grow in that area. It would get pretty old.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by nixie_nox]

new topics

top topics

join