It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calderon and Holder Agree: US Gun Control Is the Answer

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
reply to post by ForAiur

Why not? Why do you need any 'luxury' item you own? If people want an assault weapon, I don't see it any differently from a person who buys a Corvette, for instance. Its not like its a necessity, but we buy them because we can.

A Corvette isn't a weapon. And the argument that you need an assault weapon to defend your property, I think a simple handgun would suffice in worst case scenarios.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ForAiur
A Corvette isn't a weapon. And the argument that you need an assault weapon to defend your property, I think a simple handgun would suffice in worst case scenarios.

A Corvette isn't a weapon? Really, It has gasoline in it and so can be made to go boom.

Also to get the best of your Corvette weapon, one can use it as a batter ram to mow down their enemies, some cosmetic damage will occur but your enemy will be taken care of.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

That's just what we need - a nation of pothead stoners, wasting what little money we have left on drugs. That's why smoking pot is a vice, it's a waste of money. If you want to waste money why not donate to charity?

The same could well be said for cigarettes and alcohol, both of which kill tens of thousands every year and cause even more destruction and suffering. Whereas the odd spliff is harmless, is not massively addictive and is NOT a lead-in to other hard drugs, despite what the government says.

Anyhoos... back on topic. Disarmed, we can sleep safely knowing the police are there to protect us from the armed bad guys..... or are they?

When only seconds count, the police are just minutes away!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I agree, why the h*** do people need assault weapons? Unless you're military or police, it seems like an ego thing, who has the bigger gun.

There really is no such thing as an "assault weapon" in terms of guns. That is a political word used for the benefit of politicians favoring gun controls. Any gun used in an assault is technically an "assault weapon".

Who is to decide what people's "needs" are in terms of guns or, for that matter, anything at all? The government? The poor? No freedom loving individual would suggest a limitation on individual property based on what you decide their needs are. That is a disgusting thought process you've revealed.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Are you kidding me? Of course we need assault weapons. We need them as a guarantee to protect our other liberties. Without the 2nd Amendment, we have no way to ensure that the rest of our Bill of Rights is preserved. Without the 1st Amendment, we have no way to preserve the 2nd Amendment. This is why both the 1st and 2nd Amendments are so extremely important.

Assault weapons are important because they can be used as weapons of war, among other things and weapons of war are what is needed to ensure that our government does not go unchecked. Again, the 2nd Amendment was not put into place to ensure that we could hunt or target shoot, but rather so that we can overthrow government if need be. If we lose the ability to put up a fight against unchecked government, then we can kiss what little liberties we have left, goodbye.

--airspoon

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

AIf you want to waste money why not donate to charity? At least then your money helps someone besides criminals. Now there's a patriotic idea.

If anything we should make people stop doing drugs

All I see from your posts is that you are a major control freak who wishes to force everybody into compliance with behavior that you deem acceptable. People such as yourself are a major threat to individual freedom. You should really sit down and think about your behavior and general mode of thinking.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

That is like saying that the money in the bank is the cause of bank robberys or that quality roads cause speeding.

What are they really saying? That these folks can not control their criminal behavior because there are guns available? Please

The administration and pro-immigration folks have missed the window for this and their arguments are now all over the place. First, its all about a better life for the Mexicans. Then its about jobs Americans won't do. The first pass is all about the non-criminals. They have lost that argument as the polls show. Now its all about the criminals.

If you could snap your fingers and make all guns in this country disappear you would still have the issue and the poll numbers want it to stop.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ForAiur

No, it isn't, but it is private property, just as an assault weapon is. Just like an assault weapon, its not a necessity. The fact of the matter is that far more people are killed and injured in traffic accidents than with firearms yearly in the US, anyway.

And yes, a handgun is sufficient defense, I agree. On the other hand, its worth noting that nearly 80% of all homicides in the US are committed with handguns, not those scary, evil assault rifles. In reality, relatively few people are killed with rifles of any kind in the US every year, whether it be assault rifles, bolt action, lever actions or single-shots...about 400. That sounds like a lot, until you realize that about 700 get killed every year riding bicycles.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
This is such moronic stance that is not even supportable by any data, statistical info , or study results that I'm not even going to reply past my next few sentences.

Do your homework and look up the readily available info online on cannabis. Both from the PROs and the CONs side of the argument and the truth is clearly obvious.

Prohibition didn't work in the 1930s and created the problems with the gang violence then , just as it is now. They solved this problem with regulation. Use your head.
Don't be a hypocrite drinking your beer/liquor/mixed drink, while smoking your cigarette, or dipping, or chewing or snuff tobacco.

Look up the truth.

Marijuana caused deaths recorded in history = 0.000000

[edit on 22-5-2010 by Imprtracr1]

[edit on 22-5-2010 by Imprtracr1]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Simmer down over there. You're reading too much into it and I'm basically in complete agreement with your position. I don't think an assault weapon is a 'necessity' item, but I'm 100% in support of allowing civilians to own them. I don't care if a person wants to buy 50 of them and 100,000 rounds of ammunition. Go for it. I have no issue with that.

My original point was that there are a lot of things that we can buy that we as individuals may not necessarily need.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by vor78]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ForAiur

Why do we need assault weapons? Because sometimes those pesky deer fight back, and you need a 100 round drum to take bambi out! Or for the day when the revolution begins and you need 100 rounds to lay down some suppressing fire while ur buddy on the .308 starts busting caps and taking out the enemy one at a time with head shots.... Mmmm here comes the pink mist! We here in georgia are firm believers in gun control! Gun Control = Hitting What You Shoot At!!!
Yah the american laws are the cause of mexicos problems, omg are these people friggn serious???

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I don't know anyone who owns a $10,000+ assault rifle, or would even attempt to make a "straw purchace" of one for some drug cartel. I find it highly unlikely they get their machine guns from US citizens. Maybe Calderone should pay more attention to his own army and who THEY are selling weapons to.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
To me, this is the equivalent of saying that Mickey Mouse agrees that gun control is the answer. I mean, we are talking about a foreign politician and the attorney general; neither of whom have the power to create US federal legislation...much like Mickey Mouse.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
BTW Think about this. Just because we wouldnt have our weapons anymore, doesnt mean they dissapear off the face of the earth. They will still be produced by somebody and somebody will still buy them. It would just be us withouth them now.. Do you really want to be the guy at a gun fight with the knife?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Honestly I don't think the Obama administration is that dumb to go after firearms after they just fought tooth and nail to get their healthcare thing passed. They blew every cent of political capital they had doing that, what do they think is left to fund a second AWB? Heck if anything they should be thanking the citizens who have been dropping 650$ or more on a M4 rifle for the past two years; the volume of gun sales after Obama's election has probably helped prop up this failing economy.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Well, my feelings are a bit hurt as my goal is simply to reduce the amount of violence and preserve innocent life as well as freedom. However, I admit I may have taken the incorrect position based on a misunderstanding of the situation. I am going to think this through again. Thanks to the poster who said I should sit down and think this over again.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by ForAiur]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Well, my feelings are a bit hurt as my goal is simply to reduce the amount of violence and preserve innocent life as well as freedom. However, I admit I may have taken the incorrect position based on a misunderstanding of the situation. I am going to think this through again. Thanks to the poster who said I should sit down and think this over again.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by ForAiur]

Glad to see this. Maybe also take a minute to reevaluate your position on cannabis while you are searching for truths. You may have your eyes opened.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

I fear I lost a lot of respect for certen world leaders when I read this article. I always knew that Obama wanted more gun laws. But hear it says that Obama and the Democrats are blaming Mexican violence on U.S. gun laws. That is just taking things to far. Laws are causing violence.....? So now the answer becomes make more laws.
It should also be noted here that Mexican President Felipe Calderon is also blaming Mexican violence on second amendment rights.

beforeitsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

The sad thing is, there are still plenty of Americans who rely on the government and MSM to supply them with their opinions, and they will go along with this fantasy. On the bright side, there are way too many gun owners who disagree with Calderon, Holder, Durbin, Obama, ad nauseum, that it would be foolish of them to actually act on these opinions. I think there are a whole lot of people who are well-prepared for a second amendment battle.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I was watching a thing about cartel violence in Mexico a couple of months ago. It seems they kept talking about automatic weapons and grenades.

I don't know what you have to do to purchase grenades. I do know that to purchase an automatic weapon you have to go through a rigorous process that includes getiing fingerprinted, having your picture submitted (with the prints) to the ATF for a back ground check. Plus you have to get a form signed by the local head of police saying it is okay for you to own an automatic weapon in that jurisdiction.

So, if Americans are some how supplying automatic weapons to cartels, it points to a break down at the governmental level. In other words it would imply a massive failure by the ATF and local law enforcement to effectively follow their own rules. If the majority of these weapons were coming from America it would signal a need to investigate the American government's role in everything.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by MikeNice81]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
As one poster above said, the root of the problem is Mexico is the War on Drugs, which creates huge multi-billion windfall profits for the criminal drug cartels and drug gangs. I dont do drugs of any kind...I rarely even take prescription drugs. But the War on Drugs, which has been hugely unsucessful, merely serves to funnel vast amounts of money to the criminal elements of society, while simultaneously filling up our prisons with non-violent drug offenders.

I say legalize drugs and tax the hell out of them. Then the criminal drug cartels would vanish, the prisons would emtpy out, and the government would not only save a huge amount of money from drug enforcement, prosecutions, and incarcerations, but would also make a huge amount of money from drug taxes. Then young kids would not be enticed by the rich drug pimps, flashing thick wads of hundred dollar bills, to follow in their footsteps.

You would think we learned our lesson 100 years ago with Prohibition. If people want drugs or alchohol, they will get it, whether legally or illegally. Make it legal, and get rid of the illegal element.

The problem with this is that drug running is a major source of off-balance sheet funding for CIA black ops. Thats why we still have the War on Drugs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join