It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal Rant: Why does it feel like EVERYTHING in life is rigged?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Plus, you won't always be there to let others steal your ideas or take advantage of your hard work, so eventually they'll be shown up for the shallow, talentless plagiarists they really are. Or whatever it is they did

Well- I may as well share- one of the things that has gotten my giblets in an uproar:

Someone I know (who I no longer talk to to) Gave me a horrific sob story- his wife had left him, He lost his job, was losing his home, blah blah blah (you'll see why I am so indifferent here in a sec). He showed me a site where the 3d was... well- Anyone play Myst? About par on the graphics on that site. Person used latest graphics software and computers, has 15 years experience, and on and on and on. The graphics just plain were awful- AND they wanted to charge $3500! Well, I was asked by my (former) friend if I could do better- he had no money to give- but he'd buy me pizza and I could have some older computer parts. I have an older computer I am considering as a server- so I thought "Ok. I can do this with one hand tied behind my back." And I did. I did this out of the goodness of my heart. Yes, I am a complete dummy.

Skip forward 1 week later. I have got the cathedral I was working on well underway- I am doing some lighting, considering pew design, finding textures. This yahoo ex friend pops up on IM and tells me about his New. Fast. Laptop he has purchased 'for his ministry'. Yep, kids- He's a minister. Lutheran... or as I like to call them, Lex Luthorans.
Anyhoo- My face is rubbed in the computer- He has NO money, no job, and can buy toys he doesn't need, but he cannot pay me. Not even a little. Laptop costs a couple thou.

Then- He's buying a digital video camera. $800. I am still getting pizza and old computer parts. He then informs me the free stuff I use... Blender, Gimp, et al, is just plain insufficient. He directs me to this Computer arts school. After a lot of arguing, I give him a no holds barred picture comparison of what came out of the school, using all the high priced crap, and what was done with the free stuff. He also was dangling their $3500 Macbook stuffed with various software in front of me (Quick FYI: I am POOR. On a fixed income, and lemme tell ya- I feel pretty darn fixed!) Tuition? $53,000.

The last straw was when HE manages 'funding' for the school. What was I still getting? Pizza and old computer parts. Someone else was warning me about his antics, too- an ex g/f. I at least listened before I got too rooked. I may still have a 4/5 completed cathedral, but HE AINT GETTING IT!

Soooooo... Basically, I worked hard, got zip, and someone skates on by, only this one time, they didn't get goodies.

Edited because I switched #s in the tuition, and I saw the Blackadder Christmas Special on Netflix a couple weeks ago. I rarely say this, but I felt VERY much like Rowan Atkinson's character. People take every advantage they can and use me like a doormat. Guess what is gonna happen....

[edit on 24-5-2010 by wylekat]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

finally someone who thinks like me! Yes, I feel like this whole world is rigged. kudos, to you!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

you also in 3d? I don't have to worry too much on my computer since my computer is worth about 2500. It even has a water cooling method to keep the cpu cool at all times.

I specialize in terragen and photoshop.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

Mine's worth less than that- it's a dual core 3600!
I use Blender, Gimp, I have Photoshop- Some of my stuff's on photobucket, my username on here.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Well, like I said- this was a natural progression- I'd go do x y z- And achieve NOTHING... while some lazy cheating SOB does 1/100th what I attempted, and runs off with the goodies.

I dunno about you, but the worst part for me is hearing the whole 'well, the world isn't fair' crap. Uhhh... a little unfair is one thing. This.... This is madness.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat

Well, like I said- this was a natural progression- I'd go do x y z- And achieve NOTHING... while some lazy cheating SOB does 1/100th what I attempted, and runs off with the goodies.

I dunno about you, but the worst part for me is hearing the whole 'well, the world isn't fair' crap. Uhhh... a little unfair is one thing. This.... This is madness.

Same, I even try to talk to people in the field already and they don't seem interested at all. but yet somebody else talks to them and damn they seem to be interested. I just don't get it myself sometimes. :bnghd:

They say it is hard work and determination that gets you in. I just lol at that. Then they say it has little to do with who you know. Then I also lol at that as well.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by dragnet53]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join