It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stink Bugs - I can't take it anymore

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DClairvoyant
We have these stink bugs in England in the UK and their cool little dudes, they come in all different colours and I always wanted to know what they were called. These stink bugs have been in the UK ever since I was a kid they've been here for decades

Not the same thing. They don't come in different colors. If you had them, you would not think they were cool.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
yea we got them here in Florida but I dont think they stink.
its a sweet over powering smell that reminds me of a Romans perfume if you dumped a whole bottle at once.
really I have harassed these bugs once or twice just because it dont smell bad like i said like a realy strong sweet smell

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This creepy big bug has made it into my bedroom !!. (near Seattle Washington). The critters move so slow and pop into view crawling on furniture and whatever else they choose.

The first time I have seen these was about 6 months ago. I was shocked at first because I have never seen one. At first I was fearful it could be a mutated giant Tick !!. Then I got a closer look and it was not.

Oh and by the way, don't be fooled by how slow these bugs walk around on your furniture, when you startle them, their wings come out, and they can actually fly quite fast.

Possibly flying under your pillow to attack your ear later and lay eggs.

Last sentence I made up, but this is just a report they are in the foothills of the cascades by Seattle.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Crap dude, I used to live by Allentown PA the first 19 years of my life. Trust me, I hear you. Every summer we'd have to put those bag traps up around the yard.. and they would literally be filled with POUNDS of these little bastards! Noisy and gross little buggers! Loving Arizona on that front.. not as many bugs.. just a lot more dangerous ones, haha.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
What's different about these and 'ordinary stink bugs'? I get those little bastards in my Florida garden and I flick them. They eat holes in my tomatoes. But they don't infest houses that I ever heard of.

On the flip side, in Michigan we used to get lady bug swarms on par with locusts. There's so many they run out of prey, and literally bite people! One summer I was doing exterior painting and they'd land on your neck while up on a 40' ladder and BITE. Many met paint sprayer death! Mow that I have a garden there aren't enough of them...

Another thing is, there exist "Soldier Bugs" that are supposed to eat predators. I spent many hours of research last year and couldn't find any real way to tell the difference between the pests and the predator varieties. see for yourself

[edit on 24-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by minute2midnight

We have these stink bugs in England in the UK and their cool little dudes, they come in all different colours and I always wanted to know what they were called. These stink bugs have been in the UK ever since I was a kid they've been here for decades

Not the same thing. They don't come in different colors. If you had them, you would not think they were cool.

You haven't looked outside the box then they do come in different colours i'l show you alink or two and as for pictures I could take some for you when we next have a mega hot sunny day

www.ca.uky.edu...
www.basilbaker.com...
s3.amazonaws.com...

Common in Britain and Ireland, scarce in Scotland.

Link is here scienceray.com...

All you gotta do is think outside the box and do your OWN homework

Love & Light.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I killed 3 of them in my vegetable garden this morning. It's a daily occurrence, even here in TX.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I went to Florida once and there were loads of love bugs flying everywhere. One love bug sticks its butt to the other love bug and they just stay that way forever, it's kinda sweet. Never heard of stink bugs though, if they start to drive you crazy get a bug spray so you don't have to squish them or leave em be

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by minute2midnight

You haven't looked outside the box then they do come in different colours i'l show you alink or two and as for pictures I could take some for you when we next have a mega hot sunny day

www.ca.uky.edu...
www.basilbaker.com...
s3.amazonaws.com...

Common in Britain and Ireland, scarce in Scotland.

Link is here scienceray.com...

All you gotta do is think outside the box and do your OWN homework

Love & Light.

Once again. Not the same thing.

Yes, there are many, many, many varieties of stink bugs. Many varieties of 'shield' stink bugs. They are very common.

I am talking about the very specific Brown Marmorated Stink Bug. You do not have them. You haven't posted any links to them. They have never been seen in the UK. You have common, non-invasive stink bugs.

Completely different.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
This is war. I am under attack. Yesterday they swarmed. Thousands, literally thousands on the house. We could not open the doors to leave the house. If you did 30-40 got in.

One thing I learned, do not vacuum them up. You will ruin your vacuum. Perhaps a shop vac would be better.

I am having an exterminator out today. I hope they can at least keep them away from the doors.

They say the only known predator is the praying mantis. I may start raising mantis's.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by minute2midnight

Get some domesticated turkeys, or giunies, and or chickens they will feast on them...get fat and lay lots of eggs too...

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
The exterminatore just came and sprayed the doors to my house. He said the best thing they have as of now is a chemical called Talstar. He said you can find it at Southern States. We'll see how well it works today, temps going to be mid 90's. If I can keep then down around the doors I'll be very happy. Could not even open the doors yesterday.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
They are here too, and while we are keeping the windows closed, every single time we open the front door to go out, several come in immediately. They dive bomb your head, land on you, and in general are very disgusting. I don't remember seeing them like this last year, just carcasses of them in the attic of the house we moved into last June. This year, oh brother, it is like the love bugs in Florida (Moved here from there. Why do I keep moving to places with these infestations?). Just EVERYWHERE. And yes, the stink is horrible. I killed several that entered my room when we had cooler days and I kept the window open. Won't be doing that again since it smelled very much like someone came in and urinated all over my room. Am STILL trying to get the last of that odor out. Disgusting, I tell ya.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Congress joins fight against stink bugs

Members of Congress from Maryland, Pennsylvania and three other states under siege by the brown marmorated stink bug are asking federal authorities to allow farmers to fight back with pesticides that are not now approved for such use.

Rallied by Maryland Republican Rep. Roscoe Bartlett, 15 members signed a letter Friday to Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson, arguing that "if we fail to take action … damage from this insect could prove to be a national crisis."

Farmers in Maryland and other Mid-Atlantic states are reporting significant crop damage — 20 percent or more in some orchards — from the invasive Asian species.

The congressional letter asks the USDA to "fast-track" reclassification of the stink bug, Halyomorpha halys, from a nonregulated pest to one that is regulated. That would allow the EPA to approve the unregistered, emergency use of any pesticides found to be effective. Many existing products don't work because of the insect's feeding and over-wintering habits.

Greg Rosenthal, spokesman for the USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, said the agency has not yet seen the letter. But, he said, the service "is convening a New Pest Advisory Group to consider the regulatory status of the pest."

The letter also asks the USDA to fund expanded monitoring, control and eradication programs, and to work with universities and private companies to register pesticides found to be effective.

"Time is of the essence," the bipartisan group wrote. "The goal is to marshal all available government resources to develop an effective control than can be implemented by next spring." Besides Bartlett, signers include Maryland Democratic Reps. Frank Kratovil, Steny Hoyer, and C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger, as well as members from districts in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Oklahoma and California.

articles.baltimoresun.com...

I warned you, this is no joke. Not only are peoples peace of mind and homes being invaded, they are destroying our crops.

edit on 25-9-2010 by minute2midnight because: forgot link

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by VAPatriot

Yep, they're back here too. It's time for them to take over our homes to survive the winter. All over the doors and windows. Can't go out the front door anymore or let in any fresh air. We'll be under siege from now until it drops below freezing.

reply to post by Ceriddwen

They'll get worse every year. Those carcasses from last year, attracted the new ones this year. That's how they mark your house as 'safe', next year you'll have even more. And more dead ones, and the stink attracts even more.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

reply to post by Ceriddwen

They'll get worse every year. Those carcasses from last year, attracted the new ones this year. That's how they mark your house as 'safe', next year you'll have even more. And more dead ones, and the stink attracts even more.

Way to make a person feel better!!
The carcasses are gone, and I have been catching them in bottles and drowning them. We have four pets and can't spray pesticides around. Thankfully today it was too cool and breezy for them to hang around the doors and windows, so for a day, at least, we got a break.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join