It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Everything in that marsh is DEAD tonight!" --Obama's Katrina.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Saturation dive.
The issue is, no one is trying anything.
There are able men out there, in mind and skill, I'm sure there are alot that are frustrated ready and willing.

Hell for that matter attach something to the nose of a R.O.V. or even a Sub and drive it in place and park it there.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by HappilyEverAfter]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
I think you can be intelligent and incompetent.

True. And it may be the case that Obama can't handle this disaster, but he has so many advisers and I'm sure he knows the scoop even better than we do. I just can't figure out why he isn't doing more. I think you're right that it's going to get real big in the coming week.

But this talk of impeachment is ridiculous. You can't impeach a president for being incompetent.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Although the first video states the bolted repair piece is designed for near waterline use, TRY IT, try something.

Incorporate a hydraulic clamp instead.
This repair should be getting the global attention it deserves.
Very sad, very frustrating to be led by such idiots with money.

Extreme depth effects
The breathing gas mixtures, of oxygen, helium and hydrogen, for extreme depth use are designed to reduce the effects of high pressure on the central nervous system. Between 1978 and 1984, a team of divers from Duke University in North Carolina conducted the Atlantis series of on-shore-hyperbaric-chamber-deep-scientific-test-dives. In 1981, during an extreme depth test dive to 686 metres they breathed the conventional mixture of oxygen and helium with difficulty and suffered trembling and memory lapses.[9]

A hydrogen-helium-oxygen (hydreliox) gas mixture was used during a similar on shore scientific test dive by three divers involved in an experiment for the French Comex S.A. industrial deep-sea diving company in 1992. On 18 November 1992, Comex decided to stop the experiment at an equivalent of 675 meters of sea water (MSW) because the divers were suffering from insomnia and fatigue. All three divers wanted to push on but the company decided to decompress the chamber to 650 MSW. On 20 November 1992, Comex diver Theo Mavrostomos was given the go-ahead to continue but spent only two hours at 701 MSW (2300 ft). Comex had planned for the divers to spend four and a half days at this depth and carry out tasks.[9]

Increased use of underwater remotely operated vehicles (ROV's) and autonomous underwater vehicles (AUV's) for routine or planned tasks means that saturation dives are becoming less common, though complicated underwater tasks requiring complex manual actions remain the preserve of the deep-sea saturation diver.

[edit] Saturation diving depth records
The diving depth record for off shore diving was achieved in 1988 by a team of professional divers of the Comex S.A. industrial deep-sea diving company performing pipe line connection exercises at a depth of 534 meters (1752 ft) of sea water (MSW) in the Mediterranean Sea during a record scientific dive.

In 1992 Comex diver Theo Mavrostomos [1] achieved a record of 701 MSW (2300 ft) in an on shore hyperbaric chamber. He took 43 days to complete the scientific record dive, where a hydrogen-helium-oxygen gas mixture was used as breathing gas[9][10][11]

The complexity, medical problems and accompanying high costs of professional diving to such extreme depths and the development of deep water atmospheric diving suits and ROVs in offshore oilfield drilling and production have effectively prevented non-atmospheric manned intervention in the ocean at extreme depths.
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 21-5-2010 by HappilyEverAfter]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
It's not Obama's fault that this happened. No more than GWB caused Katrina to hit New Orleans. Although there were some conspiracy theories about that.
Can he do more? I don't know. I don't know what can be done about this dire situation. I doubt Obama knows much about drilling and pipes and oil leaks, nor do the people he has surrounded himself with.
Surely, though, there is some type of contingency plan for this type of event? Um, oil drillers, do you plan for these things?
Someone put something on the teleprompter so Obama knows what to do and say. Mmmkay?

Meanwhile, this is a huge event. A terrible event. This is destroying many sea creatures and the livelihoods of many, many people. And it will create long lasting effects for most of the world if it isn't solved really, really, soon.

I would like to have the ability to solve this problem. But I don't. I guess I could point fingers, like BP and Obama.
But instead of pointing fingers for blame, I wish I could actually point a finger at someone, and not place blame on them for it, but select them to solve this problem.

Gonna have to review Washington's visions and Hopi and other native American prophesies to see what they pointed out, and if there were any solutions. Other than what I can do, which is just sit here and wonder and wait. But fear and worry and pointing blaming fingers? That doesn't help.

+2 more 
posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Folks, it is time to wake up! To wake up to the fact that these corporations don't care about you, the environment or anything other than profit. To wake up to the fact that the politicians are beholden to the corporations for their bribes... er, I meant campaign contributions. To wake up to the fact that BP contributed more to Obama than any other candidate. That Goldman and others are massive investors in oil and hold billions in futures. The connections make the motive obvious and make the outcome disasterous!

It is time to disregard the government and the corporations - to take back what is ours - our lives! The locals should just tell BP and the Feds to go f*#k themselves and get the hell out of the way and build their sand levees. Neither BP nor the federal government live there - it is not their land to play with!

I'm so pissd about this and I want to see heads rolling; from the people at BP to our anemic and inept federal government - people's careers MUST be ended - including Obama's! There is absolutely no excuse for the fact that this has been occuring for over a month now and NOTHING has been done and there is no plan in place!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
You can't impeach a president for being incompetent.

No. Bush proves that.

I think this is another hard lesson for us all. If they can't cap this thing, and we go into months, this disaster will be as profound as 911 was to the nation... Perhaps, the world...

Think about how destabilizing this is for us, particularly under our current global economic circumstances.

If I think about it too much, I become just as terrified of the political and social consequences, as I do of the environmental ones.

I'm not fear-mongering... Honestly. I just see a scary destination if certain things don't happen now.

Good luck, everyone.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by loam]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I've taken the liberty to spread it on the Dutch local social sites. As far as I know very high traffic. Within an hour this could be on the news out here.

I feel sick

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
This will end up being worse than Katrina. I had trouble listening to the whole thing, as this hits too close to home. I'm not sure if he covered this, but those marshes serve as a storm surge buffer. I think every mile of marsh gets rid of 1 foot of storm surge.

If there's a strong hurricane, and less marsh than before, yeah we're boned. BP is dragging their butts bc they're trying to be cost effective. These idiots dont care about us, just the bottom line. Normally, I wouldnt have a problem with it. But these are dire circumstances.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Billy Nungesser, President of Plaquemines Parish, is obviously on the front lines.

"I've been a good friend to the oil field. I made my living in it. But the time now is to draw a line in the sand and do everything physically possible to protect these marsh lands. We will not rebuild them. We will not clean them. You either protect them, and call out all stops, or they are lost forever!"

[edit on 21-5-2010 by loam]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
back in the day that piece of pipe thats protruding from the sea bed would have had a plate welded to the outside diameter and another pipe of a larger diameter with a valve then welded to that plate, once the weld was completed the valve would be closed.

That's the most sense I've heard anyone make all week. Send that in to BP's tipline thing.

Why it's NOT being done?, I do not fully know the sick motivation behind this, but it is absent of all logic.

Radicalizing the Left would be one reason.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Regarding stopping the oil flow:

I think BP & their technical partners are simply out of their depth (no pun intended) & will be unable to solve a problem that is 5,000 feet deep in anything remotely resembling a timely manner.

Regarding the protective berm:

The only reason I can think of for BP & Obama's intransigence about this is that they had already concluded it wouldn't work, in which case they should have communicated & discussed their conclusion.

Regarding Obama:

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on one's point of view), I think Obama will be damaged because he has not taken effective leadership during this crisis.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
What blows my mind is that the government did not step in and take over capping the leak when they realized how bad it was....and they just trusted BP to "take care of it."

I knew from the first few days that BP cared more about recovering their oil, than anything else. I knew that they didn't want to cap the leak, because then they wouldn't be able to get to the oil.

I mean, I'm sure, it cost them a ton of money to drill and get to that oil, but hello....why can't the coast guard or the EPA step in and say "sorry.....move along, this is now a disaster and WE are in charge."

I mean.. hello...the oil is STILL flowing and they still can't figure out how to cap the well after all this time?? I doubt it. I think they can figure it out....they just don't want to cap it.

But, if I am wrong, and if they seriously don't know how to cap it...and if that is true, it's scary. Nobody should be allowed to drill a mile down into the ocean if they can't stop a leak when it happens. They should never have been allowed to drill without a complete emergency plan in writing.

I mean, hello....how stupid are people nowadays? That's like training a doctor how to do open heart surgery without teaching him how to re-start the heart back up once the surgery is over!

Edit to add:

Actually, a better metaphor would be: this is like teaching a cardiologist all about how the heart is supposed to work, but not teaching them what to do in case their patient has a heart attack. All the knowledge of a healthy heart does nobody any good when a heart attack happens.

Similarly, all the knowledge of how to extract oil from a healthy well does no good if that well blows. Now what....do they just all stand around and wait for the well to empty?

I think they are all just standing around trying to figure out if they should scratch their watch, or wind their butts.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by nikiano]

[edit on 21-5-2010 by nikiano]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
What is Obama suppose to do anyway? he has zero experience in pretty much everything. he has surrounded himself with people with No with real world experience.
Maybe he can go down and community organize the Oil spill. Obama say's "It's BP's problem", and the longer that BP takes the better. in his mind. Once again Obama proves himself a disaster of a President.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
First - that is in fact Billy Nungesser - he was our Mayor when we lived in Belle Chasse. It is a beautiful community that has been through the ringer. I would put Billy on suicide watch - this is too much to endure.

Now everything you see is flammable for one. Everything contaminated must be put in barrels and then those barrels put in other barrels and transported God knows where. The water has to be skimmed. the water it resides in has to go. the ground beneath the marsh has to go and all of the vegetation.

We are not prepared for this, We are not being trained to combat this. In addition this is releasing Benzine into the air. Look it up.

they have destroyed us...

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

Originally posted by WWJFKD
they have destroyed us...

Let us hope not.

Now that the story is on the verge of receiving the national attention it deserves, maybe things will improve.

Cross your fingers.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by loam]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I'm glad someone has finally brought this to the forefront, but I don't know how you combat this at this point. It defies me that 80% of all the scientist that have ever lived are alive today and we cant cap this thing. We can smash atoms but we cant plug this hole. and damn all of you that tried to downplay this thing when we tried to warn you nearly a month ago.

I just took a 40 hour course in HAZMAT response for the Oil Situation and nothing on this scale was even conceived in that course. Beaches are bad enough, its almost an inconvenience alot of work, I don't know how you combat this situation in the marsh. Certainly nothing I have learned has prepared us for this.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

It is mind blowing...

I really knew things were bad when I researched material for this thread.

The material found in that thread said almost everything I needed to know in terms of how bad things were.

This is all nothing less than shocking.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by loam]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Thanks for the thread OP. Not a lot has made me cry over the years, but this tragedy has brought it's share of tears over the past few weeks. I just logged on to have your thread pointed out to me. I watched the video.. now I'm off to read the rest of the thread before I comment any further.

Thanks again, a very humble S&F for you.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Star and Flagged.
Loam, I even made you my friend.

Tonight we'll raise our glasses. While others raise their remotes to change the channel.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by patmac]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
The Gulf of Mexico oil spill is on its way to become one of the biggest ecological catastrophe of all times. The government as well as BP should have been working on a war footing to contain the spill and shut the leak. The MSM should have covered this news on a 24/7 basis. Continuous coverage of the news would have brought more awareness amongst the common citizens (aka sheeple) about the severity of the issue. Instead, the corporate media (with apparently vested interests) is only giving a brief update once in every 2 or 3 days. The sheeple(except for the locals who are directly affected by this disaster) follow the MSM and thus think that this oil spill is somewhere deep down the ocean and hence are least bothered. With such indifference and apathy amongst the populace, BP and government have the gall to mess around with this unprecedented oil spill.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join