It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Everything in that marsh is DEAD tonight!" --Obama's Katrina.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Everything in the Gulf of Mexico may be dead in a year.

Okay, not everything, but perhaps most things, unless we stop this oil volcano NOW!

[edit on 24-5-2010 by Gold_Bug]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
OP called it "Obama's Katrina"

I call it "Obama's Katla".

The impact of this oil volcano may be far worse than the impact of the Katla volcano when it next erupts.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Loam my dearest loam and all the other ones here that has been in ATS fighting the corruption and trying to bring the realities of what is going on in this once great nation.

You know that is not leadership because corporate America run the nation.

This about profits lost this about private interest that is greater than human life.

People take a good look at the monsters that has taken over our government, our nation and our lives

They don't give a crap about any of us.

And If we raise up against them the big monsters will have not second thoughts about turning our own government against us and kills us all in the name of protecting assets

We The people have allowed this to happen, when anything that generates profits is above humanity.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Just up on National Hurricane Center.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

First storm starting.

Lets keep our fingers crossed

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

More:

US has approved 19 environmental drilling waivers since oil spill

On May 14, President Barack Obama announced that oil companies would no longer be given license to bypass environmental reviews of their drilling projects.

“We’re also closing the loophole that has allowed some oil companies to bypass some critical environmental reviews,” Obama said.

But in the month since the BP-run Deepwater Horizon (above right) exploded and collapsed into the sea, its drill site spewing an unending current of oil into the open ocean, the US government has granted at least 19 environmental waivers for gulf drilling projects and 17 drilling permits. Most are for deepwater drilling operations, similar to that conducted by the ill-fated rig.

"At least six of the drilling projects that have been given waivers in the past four weeks are for waters that are deeper — and therefore more difficult and dangerous — than where Deepwater Horizon was operating," the New York Times' Ian Urbina wrote Monday. "While that rig, which was drilling at a depth just shy of 5,000 feet, was classified as a deep-water operation, many of the wells in the six projects are classified as “ultra” deep water, including four new wells at over 9,100 feet."

The slow wheels of governance...

[edit on 24-5-2010 by loam]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Well yea Loam never let good crisis go to waste and if you can exacerbate the problem by slow or little response, and poor leadership.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Why is BP still in charge of the clean up?

Well exactly, isn't it becoming obvious?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gold_Bug
OP called it "Obama's Katrina"

I call it "Obama's Katla".

The impact of this oil volcano may be far worse than the impact of the Katla volcano when it next erupts.

It is obvious this is Dick Cheney's Katrina. He caused it with his money grubbing.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

So by all the whomevers jumping on the bandwagon, that means you are all admitting that Bush totally turned Katrina into a debacle?

Funny thing is, I don't pin Katrina on Bush. That was a state and local situation. Many cities have faced many hurricanes without the president having to be at the helm. The state was warned and warned and warned to stop selling the wetlands, and they sold it to developers.

The absurdity of all this is that people on ATS are the first to moan and throw themselves in anguish all over the floor any time the government tries to get involved in something, yet scream in terror when the government doesn't do enough. You don't want the government to grow bigger, yet somehow the presidents are supposed to mysteriously handle every situation that comes down the pike.

IF Obama were to enact any legislation regarding this oil spill, the next thing to automatically come out of ATS is that he created the oil spill in order to pass environmental legislation.

yes, I am calling your bluff.

You have it now on record.

This is a setup from the right and tea people from a mile away. You guys are wiggling like fat little puppies at the bonus opportunity.

If you are driving a big, gas guzzler needlessly and soaking up energy at every chance you get without a single thought to it, you are every bit to blame as anyone.
All Americans are because of our addiction to oil.

I watched an interview with a BP exec, and the tactics used now will be to plug the well for good. Who knows whose decision that it, but they are no longer trying to save their black gold, just plug the darn thing.

The EPA has already ordered BP to use a less toxic oil diffuser.

The same day as the explosion, The Coast Gaurd Hazmat and Oil Spill team pointed BP as responsible and started ordered them to start cleanup.

The next day, The White House sent The EPA, Homeland Security, the Head of the Coast Guard to the oil spill.

Only 2 days after the explosion, the Department of the Interior sent MMS and the Coast Gaurd to oversee and support BP cleanup efforts.

Then the navy and Air Force both sent large cleanup crews to help with the efforts.

So lets tally:

We now have: Homeland Security, EPA, Coast Guard, Dept. of the Interior, the Navy. AND the Air Force involved.

What exactly is the problem again?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

That the reactions of people over the oil spll is no different then those addicted to narcotics.

BP's effort to clean-up the mess is: under the influence with a high intoxication level.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by dzonatas]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Hey why is it not on the news over here in UK it could have hit the english channel then into the rivers of london could this be there excersice of depopulation? And all the fishes will die out aswell and that'll be a crisis with no food supply.

But to the Katrina was there no signs of katrina just explosives under the sea and blast it to cause a tsunami to wipe out new orleans and the river been explode aswell.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

So by all the whomevers jumping on the bandwagon, that means you are all admitting that Bush totally turned Katrina into a debacle?

You obviously don't know my posting history very well.

I suggest you dig around the Katrina forum.

I'm "on record" in many places there.

And when you're finished making assumptions about what I've written or my positions or my political persuasion, and actually READ what I've posted here and elsewhere, then maybe we'll have more to discuss.

Honestly, the feeble crap I see from both political extremes during this crisis drives me nuts.

HINT: Try looking much closer to home.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Honestly, the feeble crap I see from both political extremes during this crisis drives me nuts.

You did say:

I'm convinced, as was likely the case with Bush, that Obama and his administration are completely unprepared for this disaster. They likely bet early on that BP would resolve it. That hasn't happened.

One major difference between Katrina and this oil spill.

* With Katrina, nature was the cause.

* With Deepwater, nature is the casualty.

Maybe this is a balance of nature and people just need to wake up to that fact. It's a very sad situation.

Another major difference, Deepwater explosion happened as a "private affair." If it has to be compared to anything, then Chernobyl or Long Island are more likely comparisons, but maybe Big Oil wants to avoid this fact and divert to Katrina.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by dzonatas]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I just couldn't leave your post alone, because it's riddled with so much factual error...

Take for example, this statement:

The EPA has already ordered BP to use a less toxic oil diffuser.

So what? Will they enforce it?

BP refuses EPA order to switch to less-toxic oil dispersant

and...

BP invokes trade secret to keep dispersant's effect from EPA & public

The same day as the explosion, The Coast Gaurd Hazmat and Oil Spill team pointed BP as responsible and started ordered them to start cleanup. The next day, The White House sent The EPA, Homeland Security, the Head of the Coast Guard to the oil spill.

Only 2 days after the explosion, the Department of the Interior sent MMS and the Coast Guard to oversee and support BP cleanup efforts.

Then the navy and Air Force both sent large cleanup crews to help with the efforts.

WRONG.

The timetable is damning. The blowout occurred on April 20. In short order, fire broke out on the rig, taking 11 lives, the rig collapsed and oil began leaking at a rate of 40,000 gallons a day. BP tried but failed to plug the well. Even so, BP appears to have remained confident that it could handle the situation with private resources (as did the administration) until Wednesday night [read April 28], when, at a hastily called news conference, the Coast Guard quintupled its estimate of the leak to 5,000 barrels, or more than 200,000 gallons a day.

Only then did the administration move into high gear.

In addition to a series of media events designed to convey urgency — including a Rose Garden appearance by the president — the administration ordered the Air Force to help with chemical spraying of the oil slick and the Navy to help lay down oil-resistant booms. It dispatched every cabinet officer with the remotest interest in the disaster to a command center in Louisiana and set up a second command post to manage potential coastal damage in Alabama, Mississippi and Florida.

Link.

See also this article, written April 29:

Nine days after British Petroleum's Deepwater Horizon oil rig blew apart and began spewing 5,000 barrels of oil a day into the Gulf of Mexico, a massive oil slick is set to wash ashore on the southern coast Thursday evening and, experts say, could dwarf the damage caused by the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska.

Mr. Obama only Thursday dispatched Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar and Environmental Protection Agency administrator Lisa Jackson to help coordinate the federal response to the potential environmental disaster.

Link.

NINE days.

You were saying?

Oh, and one final thing:

The absurdity of all this is that people on ATS are the first to moan and throw themselves in anguish all over the floor any time the government tries to get involved in something, yet scream in terror when the government doesn't do enough. You don't want the government to grow bigger, yet somehow the presidents are supposed to mysteriously handle every situation that comes down the pike.

You do appreciate the difference between the government's responsibility to respond to an imminent crisis of national importance and policy setting?

Or was that not in your paint-by-numbers political instruction manual?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
What is with you people? Are you all sucking on lead lozenges?

Originally posted by dzonatas

You did say:

I'm convinced, as was likely the case with Bush, that Obama and his administration are completely unprepared for this disaster. They likely bet early on that BP would resolve it. That hasn't happened.

One major difference between Katrina and this oil spill.

* With Katrina, nature was the cause.

* With Deepwater, nature is the casualty.

It's hardly surprising I wouldn't mention this causation difference, when this thread is about BP and the government's response to the crisis.

*sigh*

:shk:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

The absurdity of all this is that people on ATS are the first to moan and throw themselves in anguish all over the floor any time the government tries to get involved in something, yet scream in terror when the government doesn't do enough.

True.

IF Obama were to enact any legislation regarding this oil spill, the next thing to automatically come out of ATS is that he created the oil spill in order to pass environmental legislation.

True again.

We now have: Homeland Security, EPA, Coast Guard, Dept. of the Interior, the Navy. AND the Air Force involved.

I would say the problem is that they are all planning and standing around in front of the cameras and not acting, according to the people of Louisiana whom we have seen in videos. And acting ineptly when and if they do act, according to the lesson we have had on boom deployment.
(Great vid that.)

And mind you I am not a partisan drone using this as an opportunity to attack Obama. I think both parties are incompetent, self interested, immoral, corrupt, etc.

The problem as I see it is very like the problem as elaborated by that nice guy in the OP's video. No one gives a crap about doing a good job. No one cares about the problem, really. They care about not getting fired, and they care about perhaps getting a promotion or re-election out of this.

Its the problem with all bureaucracies.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Katrina was a natural disaster, BP oil spill is man made, easily avoided if BP wasn't the one pulling the strings, BP record of is one that can not be kept hidden anymore, they have various incidents from fraud, mismanagement and poor record of maintenance of their own oil lines and rigs, environmental disasters, dumping of hazardous materials that cause damage to wild life and humans and the list goes on.

With all that mess that they have done all this years they still allowed to drill.

Why? because they are number 4 big oil company in the world, and they are here thanks to US rewarding them from been an Ally.

After over a month of the spill BP is still in charge and no success and now states are going to be force into calling the disaster a national emergency and take matters into their own hands

[edit on 24-5-2010 by marg6043]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

It's hardly surprising I wouldn't mention this causation difference, when this thread is about BP and the government's response to the crisis.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understood you. Would you consider this Obama's Chernobyl instead of Obama's Katrina?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dzonatas

Sure.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
White House Sticks With BP in Oil Spill Response

:shk:

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join