It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McClintock tells Calderon to mind his own business MUST SEE VIDEO

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.

Originally posted by Imprtracr1
English IS the language of The United States of America. Thats FACT. Everybody across the globe knows this. To try and debate otherwise is just hanging on to technicalities and red tape. Yes there are other spoken languages brought here from other backgrounds but ALL PEOPLE coming to America SHOULD LEARN AND SPEAK ENGLISH if you are going to be a citizen. Furthermore, it is EXTREMELY RUDE to speak any other language then English in a public setting PERIOD. NO EXCEPTIONS. If your ass is here then ENGLISH is what you should be using. IF you're at home or among your fellow ethnic communities then you can speak your native tongue. OTHERWISE ENGLISH 24/7.

YEAH I SAID IT

That has to be one of the most xenophobic and terribly fascists posts I've read in a while. So, um...where in the Constitution does it say that if I go out in public I can speak no other language besides English because its rude? I am studying Koine Greek for personal reasons, if I were to have a conversation with some of my friends who understand it, it would be extremely rude of us to do it in public?

Pfff...

Here, let me help:

Rosetta Stone

..YES it would be. Are you studying? Is that the setting? then Thats fine. If you are in a social function where the majority of people are English speaking and there is no absolute reason to use another language to communicate then YES thats rude to the surrounding company, especially since its unnecessary.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by Imprtracr1]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by drkid

I'm South African and I too came to Canada legally. Let me tell you, it wasn't a cake walk. Took 4 years for the process to go through, and I had to do stupid things like pay ICAS Canada $100 to verify my business degree

But I did it all perfectly legally, and now I can become a citizen. What grinds my gears is how many people I meet here that can't speak English or French

You have to be proficient in either 1 to move here, so how are they doing? No idea.

1 poster pointed out the languages in Africa. South Africa has 11 official languages, and yes IT IS a logistical nightmare, not to mention the costs involved. But guess what, all road signs are in English and it's the dominant language there. So how can English not be the official language in the US??

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I'm just saying that there are appropriate and inappropriate settings. Its all about context and setting.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
reply to post by drkid

1 poster pointed out the languages in Africa. South Africa has 11 official languages, and yes IT IS a logistical nightmare, not to mention the costs involved. But guess what, all road signs are in English and it's the dominant language there. So how can English not be the official language in the US??

Ironically that's called the Lingua Franca!! (same as in Singapore and Malaysia)

But how weird is that??? FRANCA when referring to English!

PS I know it does not just refer to English, I just find it funny

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Can someone please explain to me whats so controversial about a country insisting that their own laws be followed? Calderon suggesting that our regulations are somehow too restrictive is just plain BALLS. Lets not have another double standard here. One standard will do just fine. Im only sorry that more members of congress arent lining up behind McClintock. Seems like a very good argument to be making. Look at the growing list of states that are backing AZ. When Mexico's own immigration laws are orders of magnitude more harsh and exclusionary, under what category of logic/fairness is opposition to enforcement of our own laws found? I yield back the balance of my time.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Imprtracr1

How about in New MEXICO.

Could it be OK to speak Spanish there???

Just as in the UK, there are area or North Wales, where Welsh is Spoken and all the signposts are in Welsh.

Is it rude and unnecessary when you have English that serves just as well. No, because that is the language that is spoken predominantly in that area.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

I heard this McKlintock guy mention that and now you echo i, about the immigration laws in Mexico being harsh and restrictive.\

Can you please demonstrate to me how this is so? As someone who has been through the Mexican immigration system. I found it to be easy, simple, very open, cheap. if not a little bureaucratic.

Much less so than the crap my wife had to go through for her UK Visa / Citizenship.

Not only that but do you know that unlike other countries, like the US and UK. You can arrive in Mexico on a tourist card, and apply insitu. Whereas in other places you have to apply and be accepted before you arrive.

Now which system is more exclusive???

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I'm not familiar with the rest of the states, but Article II, Section 9 of the Florida Constitution MANDATES that English is the official language of the state of Florida.

Someone will have to explain how saying English is America's official language is racist; that's an incredibly ridiculous thing to say and flat out boggles my mind. The Constitution of the United States (and subsequently each individual state) was written and recorded into history in ONE language: English.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I don't know why it's so bad to suggest English be America's official language ??? I find this puzzling that other countries hate America for what they do (ie have an official language, protect their borders, etc..)

I find the hypocracy infuriating

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

..YES it would be. Are you studying? Is that the setting? then Thats fine. If you are in a social function where the majority of people are English speaking and there is no absolute reason to use another language to communicate then YES thats rude to the surrounding company, especially since its unnecessary.

Well, thank God that we're a republic and not a democracy. I guess the majority can just deal with the fact that they may overhear someone speaking a different language in public.

I for one do not feel compelled to stop simply on the basis that its "rude."

If I don't want someone to hear my conversation in public then we'll just call this a right to privacy issue.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
First of all thank you so much for posting this video. I am proud that at least one person in our Government has common sense and the ability to be both rational and eloquent in their rationality.

As to those that say English is not the language of America I say to you this. The Constitution of the United States of America is written in English. The Constitution is the governing document of the United States whereby all powers of government are divested appropriately. The fact that this document is in English clearly establishes English as the official language of this country.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

Originally posted by beyondsense
reply to post by Vitchilo

So ridiculous this Mclintock fella, "diplomacy", "need to become a U.S. citizen to take part in the debate". When did Bush or Obama or Reagan ever become Irani or Iraqi citizens in order to lecture those countries? The US is the first one to meddle in other countries's businesses. When meddling isn't enough, they just overthrow govts. and put in puppet presidents instead. Calderon has every right to speak as long as the US keeps doing so.

Peace.

Am I missing something regarding Bush, Regan, Obama...When did they go and lecture another country's congress and yell them saying you are bad, bad..

Don't have time to educate you on foreign politics. Turn off MTV, get off the couch, and find out what happens beyond your borders. You'll discover that there's a thing call planet earth beyond the US boundaries.

Peace.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.

Well, thank God that we're a republic and not a democracy. I guess the majority can just deal with the fact that they may overhear someone speaking a different language in public.

I for one do not feel compelled to stop simply on the basis that its "rude."

If I don't want someone to hear my conversation in public then we'll just call this a right to privacy issue.

So what you are saying is, that you don't have regard for social conduct. Nice.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
BTW you know who speaks other languages in public in the US???

.....FORIEGNERS

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by beyondsense
Don't have time to educate you on foreign politics. Turn off MTV, get off the couch, and find out what happens beyond your borders. You'll discover that there's a thing call planet earth beyond the US boundaries.

Peace.

AH, the famous "Don't Have time to Educate" tactic. Instead of making statements that your pull out of you ***. Please take the time to back up your stance.

And you might have more to discover if you actually take the time to sit and comprehend what is going on American & Global politics, instead of your generalizations.

Much Love,

[edit on 22-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
People like to use the word racist like a light saber towards many posts and I just want to say that the last time I look “American” was not a race, so if one tells Mexico to go to hell, and want all Illegal Mexicans, and those damn illegal Swedes, to be rounded up and kicked out I do not see race as any part of this.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123
I don't know why it's so bad to suggest English be America's official language ??? I find this puzzling that other countries hate America for what they do (ie have an official language, protect their borders, etc..)

I find the hypocracy infuriating

In France if you print a non-French word in their newspapers there is a fine. They work very hard to keep their language pure and separate from all others.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by RobG21

I get mad at fools who think we have to accommodate them when they are guests in our own country. If you want to live in Mexico, Vietnam, China, Russia, Italy, France, Germany, or wherever, then go back there and enjoy the local customs and language to your heart's content.

It especially pains me to see ballots printed in language other than English. This is because you must be a CITIZEN to be able to vote. TO BECOME A NATURALIZED CITIZEN, YOU MUST READ AND WRITE ENGLISH. So therefore anyone who needs the ballot printed in Spanish or some other language is NOT a citizen, and lied to the obtain naturalization, or they are NOT a citizen and are knowingly there to vote fraudulently.

Theodore Roosevelt was a great American, who did much good for America.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bcd6cf232807.gif[/atsimg]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

HOLY CRAP! We have an illegal Swede problem too????!?!?!!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Well said McClintock!

I don't see how any American could disagree with that speech.

I see all this talk on here about how this immigration debate could be dividing our nation, but i have to disagree... I think the immigration debate could be the uniting issue that America needs.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join