It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McClintock tells Calderon to mind his own business MUST SEE VIDEO

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I am Hispanic. I came here legally with my entire family. Why can't they legally do the same? This guy pwned the hell out of the Mexican president.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
What part of English is America's Official language did you not understand?

Don't know what part RobG21 didn't understand but this is the part I had trouble with.

English is the de facto national language of the United States, with 82% of the population claiming it as a mother tongue, and some 96% claiming to speak it "well" or "very well".[3] However, no official language exists at the Federal level. There have been several proposals to make English the national language in amendments to immigration reform bills,[4][5] but none of these bills have become law with the amendment intact.

Languages of the United States

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RobG21

I went on my first day in a new job today, where is not important. I had to jump through hoops to prove my state citizenship to get this job because I hold an ID from another state and it was closed to that state. I go in for the morning briefing and after the foreman is done speaking he hands the mike to a gentlemen who translates everything he has just said into Spanish.

Later that day we had a training seminar same drill. I figure I spent a good hour to two of my day listening to Spanish translation.

Now I for some reason believed that an immigrant was required to have at least some working knowledge of the English language to attain citizenship so why do we feel it necessary to translate and hold up production of the entire group?

Certainly our Spanish friends are legal citizens so why do we appease them with the language of the country they reside from if they were required to learn english for citizenship?

Read very closely between the lines.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

oh so the only language we are supposed to speak here is english? when did english become our official language?

Do you have reading comprehension problems?

I said you must be able to speak and understand english. Otherwise you can do whatever you want, speak Klingon if you want.

Without english in the US, you can't function, simple as that. A language also represents a culture. If you don't want to learn english, then you don't want to be an american, simple as that.

I thought America was a free country?

Why does a free country have to force others to learn english? Hey I'm not against it, but lets not discriminate against spanish, japanese, korean, brazilian, cuban speakers in this country. Almost any country i've been to has areas so english speakers feel comfortable. but here? y'all get mad at having to press 1 instead of extending the same gratitude towards other races

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by RobG21

Originally posted by Rockstrongo37
reply to post by RobG21

Hey Rob? He was quoting Teddy Rosevelt, sorry he's not a racist.
it doesn't matter, if he's quoting him then he surely must agree with what he said

¿Qué parte de Inglés es el idioma oficial de Estados Unidos no lo entiendes?

Quel est le rôle de l'anglais est la langue officielle de l'Amérique ne comprenez-vous pas?

That is in Spanish and French, I also added the French translation to my original question..since you said "eh".

[edit on 21-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

en.wikipedia.org...
THERE IS NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by WWJFKD
reply to post by RobG21

I went on my first day in a new job today, where is not important. I had to jump through hoops to prove my state citizenship to get this job because I hold an ID from another state and it was closed to that state. I go in for the morning briefing and after the foreman is done speaking he hands the mike to a gentlemen who translates everything he has just said into Spanish.

Later that day we had a training seminar same drill. I figure I spent a good hour to two of my day listening to Spanish translation.

Now I for some reason believed that an immigrant was required to have at least some working knowledge of the English language to attain citizenship so why do we feel it necessary to translate and hold up production of the entire group?

Certainly our Spanish friends are legal citizens so why do we appease them with the language of the country they reside from if they were required to learn english for citizenship?

Read very closely between the lines.
Because most of them understand basic english but do not get the complexities or nuances, just like your average english speaker would trying to learn chinese or spanish. Also if alot of your customers are latino, it's probably a good idea to be able to speak both languages to some degree

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RobG21

That goes both ways Rob. If you are somewhere where the majority of the people you are working with speak English then it is probably a good idea to have basic knowledge of that language. We got Gemans, Chinese, French etc. Yet 700 some odd people had to listen to upwards of 2 hours of Spanish translation to appease the 50 or so of them on the crew. We have deadlines to meet and we are wasting valuable time.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RobG21

I'll give an example. In Canada, there's two official languages, english and french.

Guess what? If you only speak french and you go outside of the Québec province, GOOD LUCK.

You cry that you should be able to go anywhere in the US without being forced to know english because it's not official.

In Canada, FRENCH is also an official language, but most of Canada do not speak french.

So want that to happen in the US? Every region with it's particular language? It would be a nightmare and it wouldn't be the US anymore. It would just be a bunch of countries saying they are one big country.

You've GOT to have one common language, otherwise it's chaos. I know that in certain countries in Africa, they have up to ONE HUNDRED different languages in ONE country... that sure is a logistical nightmare... but of course either people learn the common language or just stay in their tribal area.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

S & F Great Video and Thread.
English, the language to understand if you want to be some one. I should rephrase that for the less intelligent among us.
The simplest why to state this is, If you want to pilot a Commercial Airliner and land or take off, you need to understand English.

The business world, even the Chinese well tell you they prefer to do business in English and well hire and pay Big Money to Fluent English and Mandarin and Cantonese specking interpreters. You don't need to understand ever aspect of the business.

Become a Naturalize American Citizen like my wife. Done in English, not Mandarin Chinese, not Spanish, not Koren, not Russian, ENGLISH.

But for this to be important to you or anyone else,,,, You must respect our Culture and our Way of Life and Our Freedoms and Or Rights For Legals Only and Our Language.
So, To tell you the Truth, You want to speak another Language in America, You Can BITE MY OLD A$$ AND MOVE THE HELL OUT!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by drkid
[more
Thank You and you and your family have my utmost respect.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5eb9b00e181d.jpg[/atsimg]

Thank You, I know the process was not easy.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by WWJFKD
reply to post by RobG21

That goes both ways Rob. If you are somewhere where the majority of the people you are working with speak English then it is probably a good idea to have basic knowledge of that language. We got Gemans, Chinese, French etc. Yet 700 some odd people had to listen to upwards of 2 hours of Spanish translation to appease the 50 or so of them on the crew. We have deadlines to meet and we are wasting valuable time.

I would say there should be a happy medium, of course nobody will learn spanish in two hours it takes time, just as it takes time to learn english, which is considered one of the hardest to learn

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

oh so the only language we are supposed to speak here is english? when did english become our official language?

I said you must be able to speak and understand english. Otherwise you can do whatever you want, speak Klingon if you want.

Without english in the US, you can't function, simple as that. A language also represents a culture. If you don't want to learn English, then you don't want to be an american, simple as that.

Why does a free country have to force others to learn english? Hey I'm not against it, but lets not discriminate against spanish, japanese, korean, brazilian, cuban speakers in this country. Almost any country i've been to has areas so english speakers feel comfortable. but here? y'all get mad at having to press 1 instead of extending the same gratitude towards other races

Young man or woman, Please list the countries you have visited that will give you the option to hear that spoken in your Language of choice.
Please be accurate with that list, I have lived and worked in just about every country that has a working phone system and then Meany that didn't.
Now I'm taking about every day life, Not your 4 or 5 star hotel / motel in Beijing or Hanoi.
Or the airlines registration desk, I'm talking every day life, local bank account, doctor office for a visit or maybe you'd like to purchase that opera or theater ticket at the ticket booth.
Hell go to the local Library and ask for a Library card. You Think They'll Speak English?

Edited toadd: I'm not talking about Star Bucks coffee shops.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by guohua]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Wait a couple days and an official butt kissing apology will follow

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Wait a couple days and an official butt kissing apology will follow

You Rock marg6043, I know your Right On The Money.
Some one well be apologizing and kiss butt.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Was so pissed when Congress gave him a standing ovation. Corporate whores!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua

Without english in the US, you can't function, simple as that. A language also represents a culture. If you don't want to learn English, then you don't want to be an american, simple as that.

Young man or woman, Please list the countries you have visited that will give you the option to hear that spoken in your Language of choice.
Please be accurate with that list, I have lived and worked in just about every country that has a working phone system and then Meany that didn't.
Now I'm taking about every day life, Not your 4 or 5 star hotel / motel in Beijing or Hanoi.
Or the airlines registration desk, I'm talking every day life, local bank account, doctor office for a visit or maybe you'd like to purchase that opera or theater ticket at the ticket booth.
Hell go to the local Library and ask for a Library card. You Think They'll Speak English?

Edited toadd: I'm not talking about Star Bucks coffee shops.

ahh i see, selectively picking the criteria.
I haven't been to a country in south america that didn't have some sort of "help" if you will for english speakers.

it's in their best interest to know english, but to demand they speak it to a level that pleases you? ridiculous in a free country.

let them press two. you have number 1! having things in their language doesn't give them a backout for screw ups be it phone service, government programs, airline tickets etc. it's not a big deal. I could careless if i have to stop being lazy and stuffing my face with hamburger litered with fat and chemicals to listen to the menu options and press 1!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I'd say the part where English is not the official language of these United States if America:

Many people are surprised to learn that the United States has no official language. As one of the major centers of commerce and trade, and a major English-speaking country, many assume that English is the country's official language. But despite efforts over the years, the United States has no official language.

www.usconstitution.net...

As for Mr McClintock, he insists that assimulation be a requirement for immigrants in this country. Where in the constitution does it require people to assimulate to a certain culture? Can you show me please? The last time I checked we had first ammendment rights of freedom to speak as we please, to follow any belief we please, to act as we please. Nobody has the right to come up to me and tell me I have to speak a certain language and act a certain way to appeal to culture. Where on earth do you get off thinking you should dictate how I should act an assimulate to what somebody perceives as 'American'?

Any law that forces a person to act and abide by one cultural rule is fascist and this is clearly what Mr McClintock is advocating here. I also find it interesting in which this man references a spanish motto in his argument in the case of assimulation, really?

Can you explain to me how forcing american citizens to abide by one culture is not fascist? If Im walking down the road waving a mexican flag, speaking in spanish, but I was born here, do you think it would not be fascist if I were to be arrested for this? How does this not conflict with our freedom of speech and expression in this country? Please let me know.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Its going to be getting voted on soon enough, so just wait a few more months for the official answer.

Bill S.991

Official Summary

5/6/2009--Introduced.English Language Unity Act of 2009 - Makes English the official language of the United States. Requires, subject to exceptions and rules of construction, that:

(1) official functions of the United States be conducted in English; and

(2) all naturalization ceremonies be conducted in English. Establishes a uniform English language rule for naturalization. Makes English language requirements and workplace policies, whether in the public or private sector, presumptively consistent with the laws of the United States. Directs the Secretary of Homeland Security to issue for public notice and comment a proposed rule for uniform testing of English language ability of candidates for naturalization based upon the principles that:

(1) all citizens should be able to read and understand generally the English language text of the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the laws of the United States; and

(2) any exceptions to this standard should be limited to extraordinary circumstances, such as asylum.

It really isn't hard to use Google. I think Google has made leaps and bounds about searching for answers. I don't consider myself an expert at searching though.

Glad to be of service,

[edit on 22-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by drkid
I am Hispanic. I came here legally with my entire family. Why can't they legally do the same? This guy pwned the hell out of the Mexican president.

Wow somebody who gets it I thank you and your family for doing it the RIGHT WAY. I am Proud to call you my American Brother. I just wonder when will people get it this is the United States of America not Mexico, Canada,France or any other country. Sure we are a melting pot of countries but we have our own traditions also if you don't want to assimilate into America (that means learning to Read and Write the English language) THEN LEAVE. I would not go to any other country and expect them to accommodate me by speaking English. Thanks again DRKID for doing it the RIGHT WAY. TGM

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Guys look,

It's a dag and pony show.

That piece of crap, traitorous American puppet that's actually a mutated genetically engineered Mimi Me clone of an actual traitorous American puppet Mexican President only gave that speech with the intent to make it look like the Mexican people give a crap about the Arizona law.

Turn on the Mexican news channel and see for yourself the outrage, disgust and absolute horror That buffoons speech has caused the people of Mexico. Look for yourself.

It's a lie, a show, a favor to your government so your Republicans can condemn him and Mexico and become the new heroes of the people.

Don't fall for such obvious games of politics.

The People of Mexico do not care what you do with your laws. Not one bit!

Please I only ask that you guys at least give us Mexicans enough credit to not think that what that Lego sized idiot is saying represents anything the people of Mexico feel.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join