It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why all the Britishphobia in the UK?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
First of all, the uk considers the Church of England to be the dominant religion on this ground - As it has been since king Henry the 8th. However, the uk has welcomed migrants from all over the world from places such as India, Pakistan, Poland, Ireland and other places. it has always allowed them to worship FREELY any religion of their choice. However, since early 2000 and onwards, this country has been FLOODED with migrants and this has put a strain on British services such as housing, schools and the NHS.
But this has shaped a country that can no longer be identified by its citizens alone. The influx of migration into this country caused a complete surge of political correctness which does not, in any way, shape or form represent the people of this country. We are talking about a country that was banned from European football because our hooligans were the most violent and we as a nation took a daft pride in it. We are talking about a country which would not give up against the Germans despite being all alone in a war we were losing, that is brute British strength and hope. We were once a country that put flags on our town halls without the worry of offending foreigners and when st Georges day came around we cracked open the ale and had ourselves a drink or 6.
But this once very British culture has been snatched away. Literally snatched from the hands of its citizens. No longer can you put your countries flag on your car, or on the town hall without permission. You cant celebrate st Georges days without a fracking permit. But most importantly, you cannot openly address the problem.
And the problem in particular is... Britishphobia - People who are afraid to be British. Britishphobia is usually present in "Minority" communities that still abide by the law of a book written by men over 2000 years ago. Indeed, those individuals are so brainwashed, they believe that even conversing with someone who is not part of their clang is a sin. They do not believe in British laws and so undermine them while seeking to impose their own. To show their hold on the country, they build places of worship which are ugly and not of western design. This in particular infuriates proud British citizens who are sick of having someone else’s religion PUSHED DOWN THEIR THROATS and then being called a racist for having a sour opinion against it. They often expect to be put first for such things as housing, despite the British once having a “First come, First serve” basis. Their beliefs have been pushed to the point to which we now have segregated schools that only teach children of a certain faith and even fast food companies using only Halal meat. All of which is designed to benefit the Muslim. You cannot buy halal meat from a Christian supplier, Thus it enforces “In-trading” (Buying only from those that share your faith)
Though tensions are ever rising as more demands are being made. Demands for sharia law, more places of worship and more working visa’s for those that marry abroad. These minorities have failed to integrate into British society. What’s more irritating to the public is the complete lack of regard for our culture. The protesting of British troops marching through the streets while chants and signs that should have had those individuals arrested. The individuals that openly admit thatthey hate this country and want to see it islamified while refusing to leave. Yes, the British culture which has many definitions. It has been bulldozed over in favour of those who do not wish to part take in celebrating a country that has given their families WEALTH. Has given the persecuted a SANCTURY. Who, when Europe was all but lost, continued to fight with every scrap of ammo it had. And the most important of all a country that gave the world football. (Soccer to you Americans)
I would personally like to here peoples views on exactly why Britishphobia has occured? do you agree with it? Are you against it?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

This is quite a confused post. I have seen loads of St George's crosses on cars and windows since St. Georges Day.

I don't feel like i am having a religion pushed down my throat (Whats with that use of language?). I used to live in a basically all asain area and know loads of Muslims,Sikhs,Hindus who are happy to be British citizens and i got on fine with them all, mabye we just get on better in the south?

Its important to remeber that a lot of these Asain immigrants came from our former colonies which i feel we owe some kind of debt to.

I agree that the amount of E.U. Immigration its too much. There have always been faith schools in this country Christian, Jewish, Muslim and Sikh, i think they are all wrong.

Now to your point about Britishness. I personally feel the tag of 'Britishness' is a forced term. I am English. Britain and the U.K. are artifical creations where England forced the Scots, Welsh and Irish to be in our union under our control.

The sooner that is ended the better in my opinion.

I've tried to reply to most of your points but there are just so many!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I honestly don't see why you are getting so wound up, apart from a deteriorating society, both culturally and morally...which has nothing to do with immigrants or religion btw, the blame falls right on the lap of your average brit. I think Britain is simply going through a natural evolution due to both the EU and plain old globalization. Trying to cling on to 'britishness' whatever the hell that means is fine and dandy if you want to, i personally welcome change and diversity. Political Correctness has definitely gone mad though, i will agree with you on that. Sadly British people today are apathetic towards anything important, they define what is important from what is printed in tabloid trash. I can't address all your points sadly...just too many of them.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The feeling of Being British was brushed under the carpet in the late 90's when all pride in what we are became Cool Britannia. But now being British is just a devolved joke.

the death nell was the devolution of the states of the union, with the Scottish PARLIAMENT and Welsh and NI Assemblies.

But the English?? we are told that we have our parliament in Westminster. Errrr Escuse me that is the BRITISH Government no?? not the ENGLISH parlimant

We are British people have a choice to make.

Either we are British full stop, ruled as one nation under the Crown and Corwn law as a constitutional monarchy. or we are 4 Separate soveriegn states. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern ireland. In my mind we have to choose. we can;t be both and run a two tier government where the mahjority are suppressed to satisfy the minority.

As for the flag of St George, You have seen lots of flags flying since April 23 as this is a world cup year. the Majority of people associate the flag of England as the unofficial symbol of football pride. not National pride. the rest of the time, its just rascist.

Well bollox I say. Fly the flag all the time. whether the Union Flag or flag of St george. but maybe its time we should pick which one we fly!!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I'm very proud to be British.

I don't understand why people moan about Britain being a broken society and that we have no identity anymore.

Ever heard of the saying, you can't see the wood for the trees?

Sure, we have a masss influx of immigrants, yet they still make up a small minority of our population. People forget about the amount of Brits that move abroad to places like Spain and set up little communites, most refuse to learn the local language. i guess that is ok.

With the world becoming a smaller place by the year, with travel becoming cheaper and open to the once poorer people of society, we are a true beacon of how a modern society should be in this day and age.

Multiculturalism is a freedom we allow because we are British. Maybe we should throw that to the wall and insist on having a strict code of conduct enforced by Britiah Identity Police, with that we would not have such things like curry, chinese food, pizza etc.

People say our Country hass gone to the dogs, where crime infests every street, yet they are happy to forget how much crime went on in years gone by. The organsied criminal gangs during the 50's 60's 70's and 80's are soon forgotten.

Yob culture seems to be another thing to moan about. People forget, yet again that with each decade gone by, it had its fair share of yob culture too, like the Punks in the 80's, the Mods and Rockers in the 60's etc.
People didn't record or report crime like they do now, I remeber growing up in a small ex-mining town in the north of England, where it was common for fights to break out in the local bars and it was a big no no to report it to the police, now people do.

I think people tend to look at our past through rose tinted glasses a bit too much.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Britain is an old country. It has seen many waves of immigration. The immigrants will make demands to be represented as they also pay taxes. Gradually things will change. What usually happens is that one day the immigrant wakes up and finds himself a Brit. They then either leave or eintgrate as their Children who were born here tend to be fully integrated.

Acculturation of immigrsnt s is a normal tendency that is seen with most immigrants in the west.

We are simply having a minor social shift.

I have no problem with the flag. The cross of st George is commonplace..

Our leaders need to take their heads out of their Butts and make real changes and not cosmetic changes that are meaningless.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
Now to your point about Britishness. I personally feel the tag of 'Britishness' is a forced term. I am English. Britain and the U.K. are artifical creations where England forced the Scots, Welsh and Irish to be in our union under our control.

Erm, no we didn't. Scotalnd asked to join the Union of their own volition, with much protest from the English I might add., because they bankrupted themselves trying to build their own colonial Empire. It's also worth noting that the most vocal supporters of Empire were usually Scots and it is they who made up the bulk of colonists in many of our domains.

Wales was never a country and the people there are the same as the avergae English, difference being they kept their Brythyonic language. They are the same ethnic and cultural group as the Cornish, Bretons and alot of "english". (Most english are not of Anglo-Saxon stock. These people came over in very small numbers and replaced the elite, exactly like the Normans)

It was the Normans who invaded Ireland and Wales after they took over England. Northern Ireland was colonised by Scots who now form the majority of the Loyalists there.

It really p's me off when the English get the blame for the world's ills, but we're as much victims in the whole mess as the Scots, Welsh and Irish. But hey, lets not let historical fact get in the way of the fashion for blaming the English!

As for St Georges cross, I have never once seen anyone be asked to take down a flag or require a permit! I fly my flag all year round, as do several houses in my local area. No one complains. There is even a discussion on the BBC website about this and even British Muslims and, god forbid, Scottish folk have commented that we shouldn't be ashamed of it and to fly it high.

As for the whole parliament thing, the Westminster parliament was origninally the English parliament before Scotland joined in 1707, but then it became the Uk parliament. With devolution, this was never corrected back and now we have an imbalance.

It is grossly unfair that the other nations have their own governance but England remains under the yoke of the UK parliament, with Scots and Welsh MP's voting on matters that only affect England.

Even this whol issue about immigration is somewhat blown out of proportion. The UK and England especially have always been welcoming of foreign folk, although in much smaller numbers. I do agree that the current rate is unsustainable simply from an infrastructure point of view. Do not forget that a good 70% (if not more) of the population is still "white" and those "nasty" Muslims only make up about 3% maximum

As for this notion of Britishness, well to be honest that is a concept alien to me. I am English, the concept of Britian is an artificial one, albeit one that has worked well. despite what the SNP and PC want you to believe, the bulk of Scots and Welsh wish the UK to remain united. To split the country up would result in Wales and Scotland going broke within a year.

[edit on 21/5/10 by stumason]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I'm curious, riddle me this....

Why would an island nation encourage immigration? Are you guys just not doing " it " enough or what?

I realize most of these folks are from former colonies, but why would you ever encourage them to move to your (ahem) little island?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Actually when we discuss Britishness we should remember that those born in the British colonies are actually British! Even the non-white ones.

Or is britishness or even Englishness a code word for White

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CAPT PROTON

Our "little" island is actually one the largest in the world, but hey-ho..

There may be many reasons, but one the big ones for the past decade is Labour's open-door policy that was admitted to have been an attempt at social engineering.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

I may get flamed for this, but my personal belief is that non-Whites can be British but it is hard to describe them as English. British is a nationality whereas English is an ethnicity.

Being born in a place doesn't make you suddenly of that Ethnic group.

My brother and sister where born in Germanym, but they are not German. If I was born in Canada (I nearly was) that wouldn't make me a Canadian, or if I was born in Pakistan, I wouldn't be a Pakistani.

So to answer your question, Britishness shouldn't exclude non-whites.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

OK I wanted to clarify your thoughts. I wonder if a lot of the problems have to do with filtering. I don't take on the Islamacisation of the UK because in my book it will not happen.

I have no interest in Sharia law. But what about those who are getting worried about Isalm are they being hypersensitive or am in being insensitive to a threat?

I have looked at the Hindu Temple in Dalston, North London and would go to the open day. to me it is wonderful. I prefer it to the Gherkin.

Perhaps we need to identify the issues more carefully. We also need to ascertain any hidden agenda. Patriotism can be a nice stalking horse for the loony racists. Anti- Islamicisation can be a great stalking horse for loony Zionists.

I have lived in both the UK and in a third world country. I know which I prefer. One of the wiedrest things is that the Third world is a lot more conservative than the UK. No one gives a damn what is done over here in general.

The English are mad in a fun crazy way that is the essence of being English IMHO. They have infected the commonwealth with their madness so we are a bunch of eccentrics. I think it is fantastic but there is an underlying undertone of respecting your country in a non-jingoistic manner.

For my generation the Union Flag got heavily associated with the NF types and we have to take some of the blame for it as we passively let go. The Cross of St George came at the right time and everyone bought in to it.

Anyway we have a hot day today and the great Britsh summer smell of carbonised meat will be wafting through the air soon. Torrential rain is due next week.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Even this whol issue about immigration is somewhat blown out of proportion. The UK and England especially have always been welcoming of foreign folk, although in much smaller numbers. I do agree that the current rate is unsustainable simply from an infrastructure point of view. Do not forget that a good 70% (if not more) of the population is still "white" and those "nasty" Muslims only make up about 3% maximum

The immigration issue is of great concern to everyone living in this country because of the unsustainable infrastructure.

I work in the social welfare arm of this infrastructure and in my experience, mass immigration has had a largely negative impact upon social welfare services.

Not only are such services required to deliver unto greater numbers than planned or budgeted for, they must be done so under equalities legislation, compounding the funding issues.

My work has taken me into high immigration areas where there is very real animosity between diverse ethnic groups. In these areas, Britishness or Englishness hardly matters when there are minority groups in open gang warfare with eachother.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Don't know why this thread and OP have not received more Flags and Stars

but you're getting some from me

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Its not BRitishphobia, its ENGLISHPHOBIA ... and to be honest, as a scotsman who lived in england for 5 years, its completly not suprising.

the english think they ARE the uk , and force the st georges cross down our throats with no care for anyone, now, in england thats fine, england is their country and they have every right, but they also go to wales and scotland and do the same which is a problem!

all you need to do is look at british tv atm, ever ad break and every sports show is about english football and supporting their football team and how great it is to be english and patriotic towards england with absolutely no thought to what the scottish or welsh people in the uk think.

after staying in england, i came to the very true conclusion that english are way more patriotic and abnoxious about their country than americans are - and thats takes a fair bit of doing!

just to reitterate, i have no problem with england being plastered with england flags, and english patriotisim, but it has no place being forced apon the scots or welsh!
(and dont get me wrong, i quite like england and most of the people or i wouldnt have stayed so long!)

[edit on 22-5-2010 by boaby_phet]

link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

And the problem in particular is... Britishphobia - People who are afraid to be British. Britishphobia is usually present in "Minority" communities that still abide by the law of a book written by men over 2000 years ago. Indeed, those individuals are so brainwashed, they believe that even conversing with someone who is not part of their clang is a sin. They do not believe in British laws and so undermine them while seeking to impose their own. To show their hold on the country, they build places of worship which are ugly and not of western design. This in particular infuriates proud British citizens who are sick of having someone else’s religion PUSHED DOWN THEIR THROATS and then being called a racist for having a sour opinion against it.

Quite a good description of Britain c500AD

Mind, I have to say that in retrospect those old Saxon churches are a lot more pleasing on the eye than the garish modern things that Christians keep building!

link   

Originally posted by Tykonos

People say our Country hass gone to the dogs, where crime infests every street, yet they are happy to forget how much crime went on in years gone by. The organsied criminal gangs during the 50's 60's 70's and 80's are soon forgotten.

Yob culture seems to be another thing to moan about. People forget, yet again that with each decade gone by, it had its fair share of yob culture too, like the Punks in the 80's, the Mods and Rockers in the 60's etc.
People didn't record or report crime like they do now, I remeber growing up in a small ex-mining town in the north of England, where it was common for fights to break out in the local bars and it was a big no no to report it to the police, now people do.

I think people tend to look at our past through rose tinted glasses a bit too much.

Leafy suburban England was a very violent place in the '70's!

In the town where I grew up, it was not uncommon for groups of (mainly) young men to walk the five or so miles to the next town, just to have a fight! The rival town were not shy in returning the compliment.

There was a difference then though, it was not considered honourable to carry weapons to an 'ordinary' fight. Weapons fights had to be fully agreed and organised! Anyone 'tooling up' without prior arrangement was considered scum.

And in some quarters, anyone who carried a knife was considered a pansy!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I may get flamed for this, but my personal belief is that non-Whites can be British but it is hard to describe them as English. British is a nationality whereas English is an ethnicity.

Good point Stu. Hadn't ever thought of it quite like that, but so far back as we have any form of records the 'British' have always been a mix of peoples of different religion, creed and even colour. The English being just one of those groups.

Though I know there are a lot of people of African and Asian ethnic origin living here who would disagree with you and claim they are as English as you and I!

Personally I have always considered myself British - my English ethnicity being an irrelevance - but conversely I'm pretty sure someone like Nasser Hussein would definitely call himself English first and foremost - and I'd not disagree with him

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The rise of Far Right groups stem from the less affluent days of the 70's, with groups like the NF and in its more modern formation, the BNP. With a down turn in national commerce comes a rise in blame apportioned to the immigrants that have come over to countries such as the UK to shore in jobs in the workplace that the so-called 'indigenous' people refuse to do.

True, the last UK government seemed to be transfixed with a PC agenda whilst many other countries with a large immigration population seem to be able to keep the national identity without offending ethnic minorities. But beware the scare mongers and fascists that work up the disaffected youth and marginalized work class. Don't read the Daily Mail if you cannot separate supposed fact from fiction. They are the mainstay of many people daily reading but unfortunately, the wordage and inaccurate headlines mean that many of its readers are brainwashed to a set mind frame laid down by their editor.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extreme Pilgrim
Don't read the Daily Mail if you cannot separate supposed fact from fiction. They are the mainstay of many people daily reading but unfortunately, the wordage and inaccurate headlines mean that many of its readers are brainwashed to a set mind frame laid down by their editor.

Very well said. The DM is mob-stirring gutter press. I read it every day but refuse to be brainwashed. I like to see which way the mob is moving.

"beware the Devil, he mixes lies with the truth to decieve you" (think someone said that in the Exorcist)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join