It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP says it will likely be at least Tuesday before crews can shoot mud into blown-out well

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

BP will shoot mud into the well to stop the oil leak.

www.startribune.com

ROBERT, La. - It will be at least Tuesday before engineers can shoot mud into a blown-out well at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico, BP said Friday in yet another delay in the monthlong effort to stop the oil that is now washing into wetlands and onto at least one public beach.

Crews will shoot heavy mud into a crippled piece of equipment atop the well, which started spewing after the drilling rig Deepwater Horizon exploded April 20 off the coast of Louisiana, killing 11 workers. Then engineers will direct cement at the well to permanently stop the oil.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.new ser.com

[edit on 21-5-2010 by rjmelter]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I cannot believe that they are resorting to simple methods. Obviously we all have things we would like to say about this incident... but really? Plugging a hole by throwing mud at it?

On another site I was reading they are saying that if they cant fix this situation it may take as long as until August for them to be able to stop the leak.

Referencing this site

I am almost ready to leave my home and go to the gulf and work for free with someone who can make a device that will stop this leak. Before these guys dropped these pipes into the sea they should have thought about counter measures for such situations.

www.startribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
What really irks me, is that this will probably work.

It seems to me, that they wasted a month because they only tried methods that would still allow them to collect oil by surface ships.

They should have tried the mud or cement immediately.

Their greed will cost us a lot.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
and by "mud" they mean "toxic chemical slush." Correct?

I don't mean to stand in the way of progress, but we really need to cut the pollution down some...

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Even worse news...

A relief well that would divert the flow and allow the well to be permanently sealed may not be ready until August.

A hurricane is SURE to hit the gulf before august...

IMO this will be the worst ecological catastrophe of all time.

IMO they will evacuate some part of the southern US coastline and perhaps eastern Mexico.

Oil going all around means oil going in every water drinking source in the area. That means no life can drink there that means people will have to be evacuated.

Katrina X 100000000

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

no I do not believe so, they are trying to clog the hole with "heavy mud"

They can always drill into this "amazing oil pocket" somewhere else... I dont see why they would have waited so long if this works. However, taking as long as they have is rediculous and all it has done is cost the gas buyers.

Unfortunately for us, BP was also working on green energy. Now that they have less money to do it, I'm not too sure they will contine to do it anymore.

How could after a month with the best minds, their best solution is to clog the hole with heavy mud, and then go and cement that?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
The entire east coast is now in danger if the oil hits the coastal current, right up to New York.

BP has kindly installed a device that recovers 1400 barrels a day. *eye roll*
They say that 5,000 barrels is escaping a day. I say it has to be more, when you watch the live feed.

How wants to take bets that whatever the solution is, it will still allow them to reap the oil?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rjmelter

They need to bury this leak like the Soviets did at Chernobyl.

I have posted about the fact that Navy ships with high capabilities of lifting could drop a ring (reef) of the heaviest rock, then drop a dome where this volcano could be sealed with massive amounts of cement.

Please care enough to call someone with the knowledge to stop this damn oil volcano!!!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Yeah, but according to them, the hurricane season doesnt get really bad until after august. Minus the funny weather... it may be okay to let this thing leak until August...

yeah some sarcasm in there.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hendrix92TheUniverse
What really irks me, is that this will probably work.

It seems to me, that they wasted a month because they only tried methods that would still allow them to collect oil by surface ships.

They should have tried the mud or cement immediately.

Their greed will cost us a lot.

These BP people could just be pulling Obama's snip or it could work. I guess we will all have to wait to tuesday. I hope they keep the live camera feeds going during the attempt.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by chorizo4]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

They are saying its about 210,000 Gallons a day

1 Barrel = 42 gallons
210000 / 42 = 5000 Barrels

so i guess you are right about that Nix...

and I agree it seems like much more.

reference

Regardless of how much it is, they should fix it quickly.

1 SAWSOMETHING- Thats a good idea... I dont know why it hasnt been tried out other than the fact that oil would probably escape on the sides.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

The best case scenario seems increasingly unlikely. On Thursday, BP acknowledged more oil than that is pouring into the Gulf. The company said its makeshift tube put in place to suck up the leak is siphoning 210,000 gallons a day into a barge — the full amount of oil the company said was leaking. Yet, there's still lots of oil flowing out into the Gulf that can now be seen live on a webcam.

"Anyone can look at that and determine that even though it can't be metered or measured, it's significantly less than it was," said company spokesman Steve Rinehart. "That suggests pretty clearly that taking 5,000 barrels a day (210,000 gallons) out of that stream puts a real dent in it."

Apparently BP Has been siphoning the 5000 barrels into a barge, this means that the estimated amount flowing into the ocean was much higher before the previously low estimate.

Since the live feeds have come out estimates are going much higher according to other news sources...

A News Source

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I don't think the mud thing will work at a mile down. Now how much will those segments of pipe weigh when down at the bottom from the top at a mile down. Then when you add all those yards and yards of mud it will have weight also. Then you will have to deal with the difference in temperature and pressure from the top to the bottom, from 15 psi to 2500 psi at the bottom. Also there will be the issue with the pressure from the oil and methane gas coming out of the leak, which must be greater in order to push back on the 2500 psi of water at that depth. Does this slurry freezes because it will be when it gets to those depths. They will have a mile long pipe which is segmented that has to withstand all this pressure and weight without any part of it rupturing to then have two rubber hoses get connected to two valves in the BOP from the pipe and then get filled with mud.

If it was in 160 feet or 300 feet it would work, it won't work at this depth.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by hog. cheese

I just watched a visual simpulation on ABC NEWS on satellite. In the simulation (3D) they showed a device,that is sitting on top of the pipe with a lot of circular pipes, pressuring mud and cement into the oil pipe. So I guess that anwsers the pressure thing. What I dont get is if they can get that kind of equipment in place, how come they cant get other equipment and block this leak to atleast SLOW it down even more. If they create a vaccuum they may be able to make it work. Hopefully they have put a lot of thought into it such as the depths, coldness, and other pressure related questions such as yourself... otherwise... waiting for tuesday is just another stupid stall tactic.

new topics

top topics

join