It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does loneliness cause depression?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I was just thinking about this earlier. With regards to myself I realized that when I feel lonely I often get depressed, and I have found with me that when I have more people I can talk to I don't get the same feeling. I googled lonely and depressed and I saw that other people have felt the same way I did. Is this a common cause of depression? I am not depressed now, but I just thought I would ask.

Edit: mode move this post to the appropriate forum.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by Frankidealist35]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Yes they do. I feel the same when I'm alone.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Yes, loneliness can cause depression. The reverse is true too, because people don't like to be around those that are depressed; thus, leading to loneliness.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Same for me. Being alone sucks..

... although sometimes you need a break from other people, too. It's an interesting balance you have to maintain.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Definitely they are corrolated. We are a social species that need to have other like us around. Look at monkeys, gorillia's and dolphins...they are like us and need to have some social interaction feel fulfilled.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
No i do not agree, some people like me enjoy there own space. But of cause speaking to others now and again, is ok.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

When I was younger I felt that way, but as I get older it feels nice to just relax and think to myself more often than not. Everyone though needs someone to talk with, how often depends on the person.

Added-- I usually get more than I need from the people at work TGIF!!

[edit on 21-5-2010 by Trudge]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Frank, it isn't that simple, but that is part of it. I was diagnosed with chronic major depression eight and a half years ago and have been hospitilized twice. I do very well now, but I still have symptoms sometimes. Do you have any kind of family history of any kind of mental disorders, even including aunts, uncles, or grandparents? It doesn't mean you are fated to end up with mental illness, but that you can be vulnerable. One of the problem with depressive people is that they tend to isolate themselves from even their loved ones. Situational depression can occur with the loss of a family member to death, the loss of a significant other, the loss of a job, a big car accident or any trauma, and for other reasons. You take a little medicine, go to a little therapy, and once you are over the original problem, the depression subsides. You don't have to stay on the meds for that kind of depression. Lots of us have substance problems, and are really self-medicating because we don't like feeling so bad. If it weren't for the depression, we wouldn't have the need to be high all the time. Some disagree with this, and say the substances themselves cause the depression by interfering with the brains' neurotransmitters. It's almost a moot, chicken or the egg type of argument. Go on line and take a few of the short tests for symptoms of depression, and if you see the results seeming to indicate you are depressed, go to your family Doc and explain that you have been having problems and tell him/her about your test results. If you want to, U2U me and we can talk. Good Luck, Rick

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
95% of the time i prefer being alone, im just the sort of person that can't be around people for a long time otherwise i get uncomfortable and just want to hide, the only time i can converse comfortably is under the influence which is not a good long term strategy for obvious reasons!
It's a very negative thing as far as relationships go but it's just who i am, can't change that. The problem is the 5% of the time, you don't have anyone to talk to because you don't really socialize with anyone.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by Solomons]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
Same for me. Being alone sucks..

... although sometimes you need a break from other people, too. It's an interesting balance you have to maintain.

I agree finding balance is important.
My car is currently broke down and I have noticed that I have been feeling depressed because I feel isolated by being stuck in my home.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
"You cannot be lonely if you like the person you're alone with." - Wayne Dyer

Some will and some won't. Depends on the individual and their circumstances.

I myself am a solitary person who likes my space. However I have a fairly social job working outdoors and live in a crowded flat. So I relish the hours I have away from people to unwind, relax and browse ATS.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
After being raped, then no loneliness doesn't cause depression.

It still sucks either way.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The emotions of loneliness and depression are built in evolutionary motivators in every human.

Human beings aren't designed to be alone. We are social animals. So when this feeling of loneliness comes up, this is your emotions telling you something you need is missing.

We are all driven to survive and replicate, and our programming guides us to seek out others who can help us with those two goals in life.

So my point is, if you are lacking social or sexual alignments, get out of the house and start meeting people!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
95% of the time i prefer being alone, im just the sort of person that can't be around people for a long time otherwise i get uncomfortable and just want to hide.
It's a very negative thing as far as relationships go but it's just who i am, can't change that. The problem is the 5% of the time, you don't have anyone to talk to because you don't really socialize with anyone.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by Solomons]

Dude, this has been my entire life story. Although recently, it's shifted a bit from 95-5% to something like 75-25%.

-------------------------

I think the problem many of us face is that we see things differently than most people, and have a hard time meeting people of like mind. Sure, you can go out and meet people, maybe even make a few friends, but if they are of the sheeple, and you are not, it really doesn't make any difference to get rid of that loneliness.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
With regards to myself I realized that when I feel lonely I often get depressed, and I have found with me that when I have more people I can talk to I don't get the same feeling.

from myself the answer is this,

truth is positive freedom
positive freedom is the living sense and that is the normal state of existing awareness since it is the true always state

positive freedom is the living sense from what it means seeing something similar to you infront of you so you can be free while psoitive there

and this is present right absolutely in truth existence fact

now usually since existence is of evil it is dispatched between two nature and god as different opposites poles killing us from both sides for their souverignty from our conditions life, that is why people that preach balance get some credits from what it is always wrong to go on any side
supported as source of living you must pay heavy taxes there

so usually in conditions realities, we have freedom is run by god of brains and motivations intentions inn
and we have positive run by nature, that can mean doing things more intelligent and more gains superiors as well as meaning something or someone objectively superior

so in freedom run by god it is boring, even if you are enlightened by i dont know what you love there, there is no reality you have to surrender to lies as nothing so when you have a sense of existing it is very hard to accept maybe a lot torture themselves by insisting on what is wrong

and in positive it is worse hells, there is nothing but lies that pass, wether you have make shows about what you are counting and exhibiting as grant or wether you must accept being inferior if you mean to value something there, but it is all of things that you feel lost inn with no sense of any freedom as fact of what you are really just common sense

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Yes! We Humans are "pack" animals. We need social stimulation. On the other hand I quite like being alone but not for long periods.

Peace, You will never be alone.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by ALOSTSOUL]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
95% of the time i prefer being alone, im just the sort of person that can't be around people for a long time otherwise i get uncomfortable and just want to hide, the only time i can converse comfortably is under the influence which is not a good long term strategy for obvious reasons!

Yep, he only social-able time i had in my life was when i was at school, since then 97% of the time i prefer to be by myself, and i prefer it.

What was done to me makes i will never have normal relationships and i am fine with that.

I have never felt lonely, even though i am alone, and i am just that type of person.

Thankfully being in my extreme situation i will never change, and i will always just talk to certain types of people.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
What you are feeling is temporary depression, more so an illusion that oneself feels from the currant situation one finds himself in. Dont get it confused with Chronic depression caused from the damage of receptors in the brain and the low levels of chemicals or chemical imbalance that exists in the brain, this is usually due to biologic traits in there family genes or from severe drug use.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Being lonely can cause depression. I am used to it sort of. But when I see how people are I then ignore at the loneliness and focus on something else.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I understand exactly what your saying. And the person who made the 95%-5% post couldn't be more right.

I'm a person who will socialize as much as possible for a year and then go into hiding (my friends call it "sketch mode") where I will be alone for nearly six months out of the year. I learn new things, gather my thoughts, and often get fat and a little depressed during the time...but it's just part of my cycle I guess you could say. But I always need one person there for me...even if I don't see them, I just need someone to text me.

And then when you try to get your old friends back it seems a little awkward at first...but as soon as your engine starts revving up a little and your social skills start to come back, you start to meet new people again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join