It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. State Department issues travel alert for Jamaica

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

U.S. State Department issues travel alert for Jamaica

www.thaindian.com

The United States on Friday issued a travel alert for Jamaica on developing security concerns in the Kingston area.

The Department of State said “possibility exists for violence and/or civil unrest in the greater Kingston metropolitan area. There are unconfirmed reports of criminal gang members amassing in the Kingston area, as well as mobilization of Jamaican defense forces.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
So what is happening in Jamaica? Revolution? Riots but over what? Too much crime?

If the army mobilize it must be pretty serious...

Maybe they should smoke some more weed to calm themselves up...

Is this another economic crisis caused riots? Jamaica relies a lot on tourism and tourism probably fell because of the worldwide recession/depression...

We'll watch the situation for any development.

www.thaindian.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This is an attempted cout by the most powerful crime boss in Jamaica.

He has ammased his people and they are looking to take power in Jamaica.

This is not a protest or riot situation but rather a full on power struggle between the existing govt and the criminal gangs.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Despite being besieged with gunfights, rape and daily violence, gang crimes go largely unreported. An unwritten rule is that talking to authorities or betraying the gang will result in one’s death or the death of their loved ones.

There is also a prevailing distrust of police officers. Years of corruption and abuse against citizens have left people with little choice but to accept the violence. Due to a high incidence of beatings and extrajudicial executions, inner-city citizens run from police just as readily as they do from gangs.

LINK

Once again the people who just want to live normal lives suffer. I wonder if they have guns too or just the police and gangsters

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

The police might have the upper hand with guns if the criminals are too doped out. Doping & Guns don't mix, the rebels/criminals might just end up shooting each other and die laughing about it.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

Thanks for the clarification...

So side with the government or side with the criminal gangs or die uh?

Jamaica is just another Mexico uh? Probably even worse it seems...

Do you think the criminal gangs will be wiped off or it'll be like Mexico now-three-years-long civil war against the cartels?

[edit on 21-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I'll throw you kids a few bones.

Christopher Coke

Jamaica to extradite drug suspect wanted by US

Have fun, I'm sure you'll find it interesting.
I'm sure some libertarians would have a field day with this given the extent of American influence to get this guy.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Not being white, I think I can say this...

Pot only calms down white people.

There, lets see if I get flamed or not!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

Not being white myself

but pot has always made me laugh

at the slightest thing...

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe
Holy hell, they work fast... the first link you gave to a Jamaican site is DEAD ALREADY

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca
Yeah, pot calms down everybody (except the paranoid) but the coc aine these guys are taking is what's making them flip out.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by star in a jar]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I was planning on going to jamaica this september on vacation but I may have to cancel my trip if it gets worse.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long.

All of your poorer countries, in times of recession, end-up going this route. They get to the point where they, literally, have nothing to lose so they wager it all.

Drugs is the one constant source of income there. Everything else comes and goes and depends on the wealth of their buyers.

I think that as this shaky economy continues, we will see more and more countries ending up like this.

Seems the world is ready for a "reset" as least financially and politically.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Wow. I don't know if it's just us here in the Caribbean, but the Jamaica Star, Observer, Radio Jamaica, Gleaner -- I can't link to ANY of them! I usually keep up at least weekly with most of these. Newstalk.com is still up........ but with a banner saying they are "redesigning their site" so no news there.

Edit to add: I'd urge us to be mindful of the sweeping generalizations. If you haven't spent time recently in Jamaica, you might not know....... not everybody is a drug user. Ganja, as well as all the standard drugs remain illegal there.

[edit on 21/5/10 by argentus]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
okay, the Star is back, or at least a link to a story there:

Tension Causes Huge Losses Downtown

ETA: Okay, now the Gleaner is back. Whoof. Must've been a glitch in the matrix. That would be for those of you in the U.S., like not being able to get CNN, MSNBC, FOX, HLN, etc. etc. online, all at the same time.

Was startling. The Star, Gleaner, Observer and Herald are all out of Kingston. I still can't get the Observer or Herald online.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This is just not cricket.
Or is it just a response to the dire performance by the West indians in theTwenty twenty world cup held in the windies recently?
A cup magnificently won by England under the brilliant Paul Collingwood.
Is it related to the current reserves build up in the USA?
Is the oil spill reaching the West Indies?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
What? Civil unrest? Did they run out of weed in Jamaica?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Conspire

It looks like it's about the pending extradition of Dudus (Christoper Coke)., or at least that particular protest.

reply to post by AwakeinNM

nevermind. comment removed by me.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
If the problems are in Kingston, that is not really included in the "tourist" areas. Tourists typically go to Montego Bay, or Ochos Rios. In fact, tourists are discouraged from venturing off too far away from the resort areas. (Not prevented, but discouraged).

Outside the tourist areas, Jamaica really is a third world country, remember.

A friend of mine and a group of people hired a van and driver to go into the mountains to visit Bob Marley's gravesite. Getting out of the Montego Bay area was quite a culture shock for them. (Of course after they got home, they were informed that Bob Marley is really not even "buried" there, it's just a ruse to make money. He said it was a chapel-type thing with torches and marijuana plants growing around it. (No, nobody dared attempt to touch anything...it was strictly forbidden).

But Kingston and surrounding areas have always had high poverty rates, and gangs.

new topics

top topics

join