It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul: Obama's criticism of BP 'un-American'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

If it came across as one then I apologize.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Don't get upset about being called out.

Thats what happens when you try to stay with the in crowd.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
After all, what you're posting doesn't really have anything to do with me, but everything to do with you.

You're just full of nuggets of wisdom today.
The above is SO true! And applies to everything Mr. Man said about me, too.

reply to post by slank

The GOP is not very happy with Rand's foaming at the mouth, either. They're trying to tame him, but, of course, they're not identifying themselves.

High-ranking Republicans from Washington have quietly reached out to Paul and his aides, trying to start healing the breach and to nudge him toward greater campaign discipline, said three GOP operatives close to the situation.

The three, who would speak only on background to avoid antagonizing Paul and his supporters, disagreed on how the initial exchanges have gone. A Washington-based Republican official, who has spoken with Paul's campaign advisers, said the harsh national reaction to the nominee's MSNBC interview on Wednesday "was like a wake-up call" to his inner circle.

Source

It will be interesting to see if this guy survives. Something tells me that he's do better to go back to being an eye doctor.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I think Rand Paul is turning into a male version of Sarah Palin.

No, that's too harsh...at least HE is educated --- after all, he does hold a medical degree. Well....that's something to say about him, right??

But, the neophyte political blunders....there's some good theater....maybe we should buy shares in popcorn companies?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Miracle Man

Don't get upset about being called out.

Yep, you got me!!!

Now I'm calling you out.

Tell me how this country should be ran. I want to know.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

And that's why I'm embarrassed. And it doesn't matter what "Miracle Man" states....

There is some division among "Libertarians" from Ron/Rand Paul supporters on both the Civil Rights and BP issue.

CampaignforLiberty.com, which is basically a Paul supporter website (which I'm signed up on), has for the most part ignored RAND PAUL's comments...and they are a HUGE HUGE supporter of the Pauls. I can tell that they are floundering a bit.

The mainstream will never support these positions.

He may kill the tea party movement...which IMO...was the only hope the Republican party had left.

What bothers me is that I agree with the Pauls on some issues, the Federal Reserve is one example...but some of there stances are FAR to extreme for me and most people.

I've spent the last year and a half supporting Ron Paul and I'm going to get hammered for what I"m stating.

I'm just trying to be honest. I was wrong.

I can't support this....NEVER.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Some people in America, for whatever reason, love rich people such as those that run powerful corporations, and the rich and powerful in general. That’s the only reason the Republican Party is alive, because people with the mentality like some in this thread love the rich and powerful. They always in fact vote against their own interest and vote for the interest of the rich and powerful as if they are some kind of masochists . . . strange!

Its interesting how those types always worry that the rich will be over taxed. They seem to actually worry that the rich will have to pay more than the middle or lower middle and lower classes. Reagan loved people like this and so do the Republican Party

These are generally all the time republicans or followers of Rush Limbaugh types.

If and when these people finally wake up, that is those that keep the Republican Party alive . . . then this country will be ready for real change and can at least become a human society something like the Europeans.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I have a lot of libertarian beliefs, but i am not hung up on everything having to operate that way.

But i, unlike Rand Paul, think libertarianism should be for the PEOPLE, not the CORPORATIONS.

America is all about the people & anytime anything isn't it is un-American.

If something is about corporations, it is INHERENTLY un-American.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
For Christ sakes people, get your head out of your asses and actually pay attention to the reasoning behind Rand's comments before coming here with your knee-jerk reactions/agenda's.

Rand Paul isn't defending BP/corporations and saying we should "leave them alone because sh#t happens". He's just STRICTLY opposed to the government getting involved in way, shape or form -- with ANYTHING that does NOT REQUIRE them to be involved in.

For example, I VERY much doubt he'd be saying the same thing if it was the governor of one of the affected states doing the criticizing.

There is a difference, and whether or not you care to see the importance in making and persisting in these distinctions... both Rand Paul and Ron Paul have made a commitment to putting their hand up and making these points, WITHOUT exceptions, no matter how many IGNORANT people take their points of view COMPLETELY WRONGLY -- to ensure the power of government is strictly limited to that which the CONSTITUTION ALLOWS.

Looking at many of the knee-jerk responses here, EVEN on ATS, I really am quite shocked and saddened... I genuinely thought progress had been made, perhaps I was wrong.

One thing is for sure, the mainstream media/propaganda machine is REALLY doing a great job!

[edit on 21/5/10 by Navieko]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red
Rand is Right

Its not their fault that government regulation and oversight made them blow up the rig and people. Plus the government is here to clean it up, this is why we pay taxes after all. Shame on Obama for speaking badness on business -
Them fishermens should have thought about oil spills before becaming fishermens

...and who the hell do those dauphins think they are?

Do they think they own the Gulf of Mexico?

Welllll, I guess BP taught them a thing or two....

Not to mention those pesky sea turtles and coral reefs.

Edit to add this:

[edit on 5/21/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

Good post Navieko...

Most of the posters on this thread thus far are arguing a completely different topic that is in no way, shape, or form a part of what Rand Paul believes in. Benevolent Heretic is the exception to this as far as I can tell...I believe he does understand Rand Paul's stance, but simply doesn't agree...and I can respect that.

However, many other posters are making assumptions that Rand is pro-corporation or a BP apologist...and this simply isn't true at all. Rand simply believes that the government should not interfere with private or personal affairs, and that free-markets and personal choice will self-regulate without the need of such interventionisms.

If people don't agree with Rand Paul's political stance (libertarianism), that's ok...But they shouldn't make accusations based off of false assumptions. Like his father, Rand is very principled in his beliefs as a Constitutionalist and a Libertarian, and he sticks to his guns even when it isn't popular.

Libertarians believe that the government should interfere as little as possible in personal choice, and free-enterprise. This doesn't only apply when it benefits us, and when it's the popular opinion, but even when the situations are ugly; such as the gulf oil disaster.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigdaddy7ftr
However, many other posters are making assumptions that Rand is pro-corporation or a BP apologist...and this simply isn't true at all.

I agree. But I think politicians have to be REALLY careful about what they say and how they say it because it's human nature to attribute the worst possible (and emotional) motivation to politicians. And it's a bad habit of ATS members to put the worst possible spin on a situation and purposefully NOT look at the issue, but take the emotional road, instead.

I do disagree with Paul on this. If corporations had no regulations, the air, water and food would be in a LOT worse shape than it is right now. If BP and other companies were honorable, we wouldn't have this problem. But profit is their first, last and only concern, so the government HAS to step in to ensure that they behave more honorably.

I don't think Rand Paul is a racist, either, he just doesn't agree with affirmative action.

And thank you for your positive comment.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
reply to post by weedwhacker

He may kill the tea party movement...which IMO...was the only hope the Republican party had left.

What bothers me is that I agree with the Pauls on some issues, the Federal Reserve is one example...but some of there stances are FAR to extreme for me and most people.

I've spent the last year and a half supporting Ron Paul and I'm going to get hammered for what I"m stating.

I'm just trying to be honest. I was wrong.

I can't support this....NEVER.

WOW ! For 18 months you have been a supporter of Paul. Did this support include forking over any hard earned money ? Now, with two sound bites,
Racist ( cheap cheap shot ) & Defends ( not ) BP. You bail ? Are you that easily swayed amigo ?
Rand is not Ron by a long shot. I can't help but believe that a great deal of Dads philosophy must have rubbed off. If what we are looking for in representation is yet another Slick Dick two faced lawyer....... well most incumbents / candidates will work just fine. Not being mean but " I can't support this .....NEVER " What can't you support? A smear allegation
from his opponent ? Do sound bites define a man ? If, as you say, you agree with the Pauls on the Federal Reserve Bank, would that not be reason enough for continued support ? It would appear you're pretty ok with the status quo in washington. Sorry, I just don't get it David. I personally believe 'They' all must go, every last one. Well.. except for Ron Paul and maybe Dennis Kucinich.

Oh Man ! Who am I kidding ? We are forever doomed.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I do disagree with Paul on this. If corporations had no regulations, the air, water and food would be in a LOT worse shape than it is right now. If BP and other companies were honorable, we wouldn't have this problem. But profit is their first, last and only concern, so the government HAS to step in to ensure that they behave more honorably.

And the Paul's feel the same, only differing to the extent that they propose it's up to the government on the state level to 'step in' -- not on the federal level.

I also understand that they feel the free market, if given the chance, will regulate itself... if at the very least, the smaller businesses. Where it fails, the state can take necessary measures.

Why is this not reasonable?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
1. Haliburton should also share the blame, which the media is trying to ignore

2. The media is in a feeding frenzy trying to discredit this guy, which will work on the mindless liberals but not on his supporters.

3. Rand Paul criticizes the government, the media criticizes Rand Paul, and yet the government is still not fixing the problem. Big government has all the chances it wants trying to fix the problem, but it's not, the coasts are getting wrecked people, but let's all point out anger at the guy who is pointing out the problems. If Obama held the opposite philosophy as Rand Paul, WHY ISN'T HE FIXING THE PROBLEM?

4. Rand Paul, or at least Ron Paul, is definitely against the banks and federal reserve, and while I don't know how strongly Rand Paul is opposed to the fed, I'm at least interested to see how he operates. It's pretty fun so far, especially seeing how the media is flinging as much dirt as possible at him. I only wish they showed that much attention to Ron Paul.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Rand is an amateur politician who got some very bad advice. He needs to learn from his dad, who has the potential express radical ideas in a very reasonable manner--like abolish the Fed.

Rand is making a lot of enemies here in my home state, Lousiana, by his unmeasured comments about the oil disaster. BP deserves to be criticized, because it is more concerned with covering its tracks and protecting itself from future liabilities than taking care of the problem in the most effective and ecologically friendly manner.

While it seems somewhat reasonable that the US government should rely upon BP expertise in stopping the spill, they definitely should not be in charge of the clean up. The local, state, and federal government should do the clean up and then send BP and Halliburton the bill.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko
And the Paul's feel the same, only differing to the extent that they propose it's up to the government on the state level to 'step in' -- not on the federal level.

Which state would regulate BP? I mean, I support state's rights, but an international corporation having 50 different states trying to regulate their operations in their particular states? I don't know how that would work. And the likelihood of corruption (paying certain governors to let them operate as they wish) is far greater than it is with federal regulation.

I also understand that they feel the free market, if given the chance, will regulate itself... if at the very least, the smaller businesses. Where it fails, the state can take necessary measures.

The free market would regulate itself IF people were honorable. We can't wait for corporations to dump a bunch of toxic crap in the waters and then decide that we're not going to purchase things from that company because they ruined the water. We need government regulation BEFORE the fact.

It's a tough situation and I know there are several schools of thought on the free market, but I don't agree with the strict Libertarian view of that. I'm all for personal freedoms, but in this society, with corporations and banks standing in line to screw the people, we need a regulating body. Just my opinion.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Why no link to the INTERVIEW?

Well, that may be your OPINION, everyone has one, but let the people decide what he REALLY SAID!

Hey, found this NICE interview with Stephanopoulos.

ABC interview

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Rand Paul is right on the money...

Our Federal Government would screw up a wet dream. If you think more Federal intervention is going to help in this situation your a fool. BP has got enough money to buy off politicians and stave off any regulations that are put into place. There is no amount of intervention by the federal governmnet that is going to save one sea turtle or one dolphin.

We have to stop looking to the Federal Government for solutions any time a disaster pops up. Organize a boycott of BP, don't buy their gasoline products, speak out against them. But for god's sake stop asking Big Brother to do something for the sake of doing something. Every time we do that we are losing personal freedoms and tightening the noose around our own necks.

BP will suffer from this disaster from a public relations standpoint and the states affected will punish BP. I'm still not clear on how the hell this rig blew up to begin with! We get so caught up in "saving the whales" that no one is asking about the legitamacy of the "methane bubble" or the fact that Haliburton was working on the rig hours before the explosion. Knee jerk reactions get us things like the Patriot Act...And how's that one working out for you??? Now the Federal Governmnet can warrantlessly wiretap your phone and track your emails.

we have to do something is....PRETZEL LOGIC!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

If the current administration were that strong to begin with in policing our own agencies charged with overseeing and regulating these drilling operations, the MMS for one, we would not be where we are right now.

Who is Barry channeling there? Mussolini? Barry should have acted as forceful as he is now speaking and taken control of stopping this leak two weeks in. BP has no answers and that was clear very early on. The Rand Paul statement is small potatoes. Everyone needs to ignore the noise, focus on the main issue. We don't need strong rhetoric, we need everyone to do their jobs. Just my opinion.

Why BP’s Oil Disaster Scenario Wasn’t Considered During Environmental Review

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join