It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NAACP Wants in on the Gulf Oil Mess Response

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Having no first hand knowledge of the gulf coast area, and who will feel the worst impact of this disaster, I wanted to toss this out for discussion.

Gulf Coast Disaster Endangers Health and Wellbeing of Thousands

The NAACP passed an emergency resolution at its national board meeting last week committing the Association to take action in support of the thousands of Gulf Coast communities affected by an oil drilling disaster delivering at least 5,000 barrels of oil daily into the Gulf waters.

The resolution states that the NAACP national office will provide support to local NAACP units in an effort to address advocacy needs resulting from the disaster. The organization will also file paperwork to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to qualify the NAACP as a first responder to the Gulf Coast crisis.

“The latest disaster in the Gulf Coast is another tragedy in a troubling pattern of devastating results from our dependence on fossil fuels, including oil,” said NAACP President and CEO Benjamin Todd Jealous.

“Much like in the catastrophes of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, disasters from which the Gulf Coast region has yet to fully recover, communities of color and the poor suffer disproportionately. The NAACP will band together to ensure that our Gulf Coast brothers and sisters receive the swift, adequate aid they need and deserve during this time of crisis.”

“This manmade disaster stands to compromise the health and wellbeing of thousands of people who live in coastal communities and those whose livelihoods are dependent on the bounties of the sea,” said NAACP Chairman Roslyn Brock. “The NAACP is committed to taking any and all steps necessary to ensure that the civil rights of African Americans and other minority citizens will continue to be upheld.”

Is this BP created mess as bad a racial scenario as seems to be presented by the NAACP?

edit on 5/21/2010 by JacKatMtn because: sp

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
How is it racial if Obama is now the one “in charge”? To me it still was not a racial issue when Bush was “in charge” but that is just me. Now that it is under Obama’s watch I am not sure what they are getting at?

I do not know maybe it is just me but I think the NAACP (and those who are like them) should be classed as a terrorist organization. I see them doing little any more aside from causing rifts in society as a whole.

It seems they are just out to find some way to cash in on someone else’s suffering in this case.

Raist

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

“Much like in the catastrophes of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, disasters from which the Gulf Coast region has yet to fully recover, communities of color and the poor suffer disproportionately. The NAACP will band together to ensure that our Gulf Coast brothers and sisters receive the swift, adequate aid they need and deserve during this time of crisis.”

By aid do they mean government hand outs?

Forgive me if I am wrong, but what type of 'aid' do they need when they are sitting in their house watching the oil spill clean up efforts on TV?

I was unaware that blacks were on the coast again sitting on their roof tops avoiding the flooding oil catastrophe.

I guess the NAACP hasn't had enough air time since a black president took office, so they will take what they can get to remind us all - that the white man is holdin' em down.

new topics

join